Hello from a newb

Mogman

Reaction score
Hello from the south west of England. As my ID might suggest I've been a Morgan owner for simply ages. However, we seem to be finding reasons not to drive it including comfort and the weather. I'm therefore looking for something that's fun to drive and is relatively comfortable (Morgan owners will know what I mean). I'm test driving a touring spec car in Exeter this Saturday and will follow up with a description of my experience

Hello from the south west of England. As my ID might suggest I've been a Morgan owner for simply ages. However, we seem to be finding reasons not to drive it including comfort and the weather. I'm therefore looking for something that's fun to drive and is relatively comfortable (Morgan owners will know what I mean). I'm test driving a touring spec car in Exeter this Saturday and will follow up with a description of my experience

Welcome to the party! Looking forward to your test drive feedback in our great big "all the customer test drives" thread. Would love to see a pic of the Morgan too!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum @Mogman - Looking forward to your thoughts on the Emira!

"More comfortable than a Morgan" seems to be a core theme of the Emira design. I hope you enjoy your test drive!

Welcome to the forum and look forward to reading your thoughts after your test drive.

And we need Morgan pictures… 🐈‍⬛

If your Morgan is like my M3W, then it will definitely be more comfortable. I was only good for about 45 minutes before the park bench seating won the battle with my back!

Sadly I'm out. I drove the Emira at Hendy Exeter and loved it. It doesn't bash, crash and rattle going down the road neither does it hop skip and jump when it hits a pot hole on a corner like my Morgan. However, I can't get it in the garage and that's a deal breaker. There's no way I can get the door open enough to get out of the car. I've looked at extending the garage but that's not practicable so that's a dream gone south.

The Exeter car was the spec I'd have chosen: touring chassis, Nimbus Grey with black pack, red interior and black wheels. It drove sweetly and although at first I had trouble with the gears that soon disappeared once I got used to the clutch travel (I've only been swapping cogs for over 50 years!). Full marks to Jessica for the extended drive and her forbearance.

There we go, it's off my bucket list and perhaps I wouldn't need a car like that if it arrived when I'm 74 - now to start spending money on the Morgan's rear suspension so that my spine doesn't compress every time I hit a bump.

What's the saying? What do we buy with the money we've saved by not buying something we can't have?

Wow, sorry to hear about the garage. I didn't see the one coming, but I understand.

Sadly I'm out. I drove the Emira at Hendy Exeter and loved it. It doesn't bash, crash and rattle going down the road neither does it hop skip and jump when it hits a pot hole on a corner like my Morgan. However, I can't get it in the garage and that's a deal breaker. There's no way I can get the door open enough to get out of the car. I've looked at extending the garage but that's not practicable so that's a dream gone south.

The Exeter car was the spec I'd have chosen: touring chassis, Nimbus Grey with black pack, red interior and black wheels. It drove sweetly and although at first I had trouble with the gears that soon disappeared once I got used to the clutch travel (I've only been swapping cogs for over 50 years!). Full marks to Jessica for the extended drive and her forbearance.

There we go, it's off my bucket list and perhaps I wouldn't need a car like that if it arrived when I'm 74 - now to start spending money on the Morgan's rear suspension so that my spine doesn't compress every time I hit a bump.

What's the saying? What do we buy with the money we've saved by not buying something we can't have?
Sad to hear.

Out of interest how wide is your garage? Mine is a single garage too and I’m worried I may face the same problem.

I know I can get it in, but opening the door and getting out could be very tight.

I havn't mentioned to my wife that I think we will need new garage doors due to the width. My 981 Boxter has 1.5cm each side with mirrors folded. It is a double garage but with two single wooden doors. Pricing electric rollup now. I think she will love the car so much that it won't be an issue. Maybe.....

I havn't mentioned to my wife that I think we will need new garage doors due to the width. My 981 Boxter has 1.5cm each side with mirrors folded. It is a double garage but with two single wooden doors. Pricing electric rollup now. I think she will love the car so much that it won't be an issue. Maybe.....
What's the total width of your garage door opening?

The issue with the Emira doors is that they are very "thick" due to the form of the "aero design". I had issues parking next to cars and had to be very careful when opening the doors. So I can fully imagine that some garages might be pretty tight.

Here's an image in case anybody wonders how thick these doors actually are:

AF3259E8-65D1-46AF-96A9-3B5B8F4CFBAE.jpeg

View attachment 21724
Hmmm yes, I hadn’t taken the thickness of doors into account when thinking about my garage!

I have a 2130mm wide single garage door which I think will give about 5mm each side with mirrors up and then it opens up to 2900mm inside.

Hoped this would be enough to drive in and at least get the driver out….

Hmmm yes, I hadn’t taken the thickness of doors into account when thinking about my garage!

I have a 2130mm wide single garage door which I think will give about 5mm each side with mirrors up and then it opens up to 2900mm inside.

Hoped this would be enough to drive in and at least get the driver out….
Sorry 50mill each side with mirrors up

Two people have to help me tuck my baby in for the night/winter.
NOT funny...

I am lucky in that I can least get in and out.

Have you considered smashing a hole in the side wall you can escape from? :D

View attachment 21726
Hahaha that’s tight!!! Makes me optimistic for the Emira, as long as I can actually get out

View attachment 21724
That’s a useful picture.

I took my tape measure to Goodwood (I’m odd like that!).

The thickest part of the door is 24-25cm. The door length from the hinge to the tip of the furthest outer point you can see on the left in the pic is 126cm.

With that info and some old school trigonometry you can work out how much free space you get with the door open against your garage wall.