Goodyear eagle F1 for lotus vs Michelin Pilot sport 4s for Porsche?

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It looks like Emira is using the same tire sizes as the Porsche GT4 & Spyder
245/35 R 20 front
295/30 R 20 rear
I wonder how the Goodyear eagle F1 super sport compares to the Michelin pilot sport 4s?
Any thoughts 💭?

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I imagine on the Emira the Goodyear setup is better. After all they had access to Michelins as the CUP2 are on the Sport suspension and chose Goodyear for the touring. I have PS4S on my M3 and they suit that car well.

OP
Climber

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I imagine on the Emira the Goodyear setup is better. After all they had access to Michelins as the CUP2 are on the Sport suspension and chose Goodyear for the touring. I have PS4S on my M3 and they suit that car well.
I am getting the sport suspension, however I can’t decide if I should get the Goodyear or the Michelin’s. I the point I would give up a little grip for let noise and more ride confort. What are you getting?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It was said in a previous thread that inevitably people will use tires other than the bespoke Eagles and Cup2s and the results will vary. A lot to do with personal driving style, roads, etc. I need a tire that can run at 25 degrees F so I am looking for something. I am ordering Sports with Cup2s for my spec and will run the low temp tire in the winter for my mountain drives.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I am getting the sport suspension, however I can’t decide if I should get the Goodyear or the Michelin’s. I the point I would give up a little grip for let noise and more ride confort. What are you getting?
I’m going touring but if I had gone sports I’d give up the Cup2s for Goodyears as they are a circuit tyre, great feel when warm I hear but not a road tyre.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Gavin commented in The Smoking Tire Podcast @ 1:24:00 on the tire selection. He said they went through 70 front and 80 rear tire compounds and constructions to arrive at spec tires, which are the Goodyears. The F1’s with the lotus spec code are bespoke and unlike any other tires in the Goodyear or Michelin catalog. Point being, if you buy the car and immediately swap in PS4S because that’s your favorite tire the likelihood you’ve done anything to improve performance in pretty much nil and it’s far more likely you’ve gone backwards.

I’ve been through this for years with friends in the Porsche groups and the N-Spec tire discussions. I’ve done the tests and unless you are looking for a specific tire for a specific application like Autocross or dedicated track use the N-Spec ALWAYS work better on a Porsche than the generic version. I expect no different from the Lotus Spec tires.

My spec will be Sport with Goodyears.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a massive Michelin Fanboy, I love the PS4S and the Cup2’s but when the ones on my Spyder wear out they are getting replaced with the N-Spec PS4S.

Jon_N

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Depends on your usage & where you live in terms of climate surely?

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have ordered sport suspension with goodyear tires. At first I thought I'd order the cup2s, but I changed my mind last summer. This car is going to see occasional track, but my main track car is my GT4, so no need for tires full of compromise on the street.

My GT4 is running on Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 and I love them, so i'm very optimistic about the ones on the Emira.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If I go with FE - Sport with Goodyear
If I go with base - Touring with Goodyear

That’s my decision, but still can’t decide i4 FE or base with choice options!

r1lee

Reaction score
I initially was going to go touring, but realize this will be a weekend or occasional drive car. So I've decided to go with sport settings and will go goodyear, I don't feel like spending $3000 on tires every 8k km's for the cup 2s.

OP
Climber

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Wow 😮 I learned so much! Sport suspension I had made up my mind to get… Now tires Goodyear F1
Oder my car next month for November delivery!!!
MJW 930- Have 2 Porsches 2006 Boxster & 2015 Boxster GTS always used the Michelin N-spec and loved them. When replacing Goodyear I hope their easy to find.. If I can’t get them would you try the N spec GT4 tire on the Emira?

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Wow 😮 I learned so much! Sport suspension I had made up my mind to get… Now tires Goodyear F1
Oder my car next month for November delivery!!!
MJW 930- Have 2 Porsches 2006 Boxster & 2015 Boxster GTS always used the Michelin N-spec and loved them. When replacing Goodyear I hope their easy to find.. If I can’t get them would you try the N spec GT4 tire on the Emira?
I wouldn’t use the N-Spec, Porsche spring rates, damping and bushing hardness is quite different than Lotus. Goodyear doesn’t list the LTS spec yet but I imagine they will by the time we need replacements. Usually Lotus makes arrangements to at least make sure their dealers can get them. I suspect TireRack will have a line on them once Goodyear releases them for resale.

Absent all that, the non manufacturer specific PS4S tire would be my choice, it’s a great all around tire.

OP
Climber

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use the N-Spec, Porsche spring rates, damping and bushing hardness is quite different than Lotus. Goodyear doesn’t list the LTS spec yet but I imagine they will by the time we need replacements. Usually Lotus makes arrangements to at least make sure their dealers can get them. I suspect TireRack will have a line on them once Goodyear releases them for resale.

Absent all that, the non manufacturer specific PS4S tire would be my choice, it’s a great all around tire.
Sounds like a plan, what tire & suspension option are you getting?
Thanks 🙏

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've never used N-Spec tires on any of my Porsches, I'm not really a beleiver in these things. Doing about 10 track days a year in my GT4, a tire set lasts a summer, I'm buying the generic tire every year.

I'd lie if I didn't admit seeing a difference between N-Spec and generic tire, but I just can't say they are worst in the generic form...

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We still don't know any meaningful information about the difference between Sports and Touring suspensions, so it really is still a set of total unknowns with regards to the appropriate tire choice as well. I mean, are the spring rates 20% different? 50% different? The spring rate difference between the Cayman GT4 and GT4 RS are fully 100%, a 2:1 jump, which makes an R compound tire a much more rational choice on that car.

Without knowing that kind of information about the Emira, it makes it very difficult to know whether the Sports suspension is really appropriate for the Goodyear tire, or whether it's truly been tuned with the Cup 2 in mind. If the greater portion of the development around the Goodyear tire went into the Touring setup to make it a really sublime fast-road driving experience, then I would love to hear that. But the commentary from Gavan on the TST podcast didn't really clarify anything, it made it sound like the Touring was to try to make the car a comfortable commuter. That doesn't jive with what others have said, so maybe that wasn't his intent.... but also it still doesn't tell us anything about whether the dynamic limits are high enough to qualify the handling of the Touring-equipped car as "world class" in Mr. Kershaw's mind. I wish he would just be more specific.

4thedrivers

Reaction score
Selected Sport with Goodyear's as well. Based on reviews to date and comments from Gavin this is the "sweet spot" between ride and handling.

Clam

Reaction score
Sport + Goodyears here as well. When I made my deposit last year, I thought for sure Cup2s but I changed my mind after some research and discussion with the regional managers/reps at a viewing in December. I spend 1-2 months in freezing temperatures each year but I still want to take the garage queen out to play when possible.

That said, I'm planning for a second set of wheels with the Cup2s for track use. It will be fun to feel the difference, with the car serving as the control element for my little experiment.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Also Sports suspension with Goodyears. For me the tire choice is a no-brainer. The Cup2s are dead every 8.000km, only really work when it‘s dry and require a bit of temperature as well which is hard to reach on public roads. If you plan on tracking the Emira however, it would be worth considering getting a second set with Cup2s. First it will even be more fun on track and second your Goodyears will last longer if they don‘t see a track.