Goodyear or Michelin durability ???

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Won't be using the car on track (probably). Will be mostly for leisure/fun purposes.

Cup2s are much higher end and costly so a better deal because the price is the same for FE. However, it's been said that Cup2s wear out pretty fast.

I have seen 10,000-20,000kms quoted for the CUP2s. On the other hand the Eagles have been said to last 40,000kms.

So am I better off with the Goodyear Eagles?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes.

The Cup2s wear about twice as fast as the Eagles with similar fast road use. They're a track-focused tyre and are compromised in the wet and when cold.

The LTS versions of the Goodyears aren't on sale yet so I compared prices for standard versions. It'll be roughly £840 for a set of Goodyears and about £1200 for a set of Michelins.

If you're planning to do regular track driving then you could order the car with the Cup2s (as you say, they're worth slightly more) then buy a second set of wheels with Goodyears for road use.

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes.

The Cup2s wear about twice as fast as the Eagles with similar fast road use. They're a track-focused tyre and are compromised in the wet and when cold.

The LTS versions of the Goodyears aren't on sale yet so I compared prices for standard versions. It'll be roughly £840 for a set of Goodyears and about £1200 for a set of Michelins.

If you're planning to do regular track driving then you could order the car with the Cup2s (as you say, they're worth slightly more) then buy a second set of wheels with Goodyears for road use.
Thanks for the info, Tom. Very helpful.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The only issue with the Goodyear is that after 3 years or 30miles you need to change them out anyway because the rubber compound changes in elasticity effecting the feel and performance, also increases noise.
Personally I am getting the Goodyear because of its all season capability I’m not going to be switching out tires. I want one that does it all.
Balancing increases the life of tires dramatically 😊
Can’t wait to get my magma red emira!!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
with the Goodyear is that after 3 years or 30miles you need to change them out anyway because the rubber compound changes in elasticity effecting the feel and performance, also increases noise.

I assume you meant 3 years or 30k miles, correct? Is this from personal experience? I don't even have 30k on my 2017 daily driver yet, so I'll certainly hit that 3 year mark first with the Emira tires. I think it really all depends on weather and other conditions for how long tires last.

Stino

Reaction score
From my Exige 410 experience I think it’s safe to say that neither the cups nor the good years will last the mileages stated above. If the car is used properly (no track use, but fast driving style), I would say it’s 10kkm for the cup2. Maybe you could use them longer than that, but performance and handling will definitely suffer. Driving such a high performing car with tyres that limit the overall performance level of chassis/engine/suspension etc. just doesn’t make sense for me.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As others have said, the Michelins are really a track tire. They’re half-slicks. They’re not a safe tire in heavy rain, do you want to worry about whether or not it’s going to rain each time you take the car out? They’re a fantastic tire for track performance but they’re really better suited to be taken on/off for a track weekend. If you’re not pushing the car on track, you’re unlikely to see the benefit of the Cup 2 over the Goodyear.

Also on the Cup 2 you’d be ice-skating in temps under 50F/10C and could damage the tire even storing it below 40F/4.5C.

Last edited:

Stino

Reaction score
As others have said, the Michelins are really a track tire. They’re half-slicks. They’re not a safe a tire in heavy rain, do you want to worry about whether or not it’s going to rain each time you take the car out? They’re a fantastic tire for track performance but they’re really better suited to be taken on/off for a track weekend. If you’re not pushing the car on track, you’re unlikely to see the benefit of the Cup 2 over the Goodyear.

Also on the Cup 2 you’d be ice-skating in temps under 50F/10C and could damage the tire even storing it below 40F/4.5C.
Oh yeah, I can confirm. It’s not only rain, but also cooler temperatures where the cups will not perform.
Besides mileage and peak performance, it is a personal decision if you want a tyre that will always need a certain level of attention (what’s the condition? Is it still cold?)…

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From another thread, an Emira deposit holder who recently bought a Evora with Cup2s:

"As has been stated in the Forum, the Cup2´s are a killer in wet.
On the way back, heavy rain, at 100 km/hour found a patch of water over a long bridge overtaking a truck and the car just flew sideways, spin three times and managed to control it, I still don´t know how. No injuries to me or the car, a miracle.
LESSON learned: Evora for dry and Emira with Eagles for all weather."

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From another thread, an Emira deposit holder who recently bought a Evora with Cup2s:

"As has been stated in the Forum, the Cup2´s are a killer in wet.
On the way back, heavy rain, at 100 km/hour found a patch of water over a long bridge overtaking a truck and the car just flew sideways, spin three times and managed to control it, I still don´t know how. No injuries to me or the car, a miracle.
LESSON learned: Evora for dry and Emira with Eagles for all weather."

Thanks Tom, that was me

i was just about to reply,

I just changed the Cup 2´s on the Evora with only 8.000 kms and without tracking it.
I put back Cup 2´s since I will definitely not be driving it on rain conditions again, and they are amazing in dry.
Chose the Goodyear for the Emira to be on the safe side and I think it will also be a little less noisier for long drives

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I am really curious to better understand the LTS spec to better match a set of PS4S once I go through the factory Goodyears. Unless, the LTS spec Goodyears are brilliant (not holding my breath).

Considering the similarities I’d probable sub in the N-Spec PS4S in these sizes as they are spec’d for the 718 Spyder which has a very similar weight balance profile. The generic PS4S have a much less compliant sidewall than the Porsche or Ferrari spec versions.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not to put too fine a point on it, but ... I think you'll struggle to improve anything by just swapping to an arbitrary spec of PS4S given that Gavan and co spent years testing and selecting compounds for the LTS Goodyears.

Listen to the answer to this question about the tyre development for an idea of what you are trying to randomly improve upon:

Last edited:

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on it, but ... I think you'll struggle to improve anything by just swapping to an arbitrary spec of PS4S given that Gavan and co spent years testing and selecting compounds for the LTS Goodyears.
They tested something like 60 different compounds for the front and 80 for the rear! I believe that these passionate guys know what they are doing when it comes to handling! I totally agree. Swapping our tires will not improve the handling, lotus’s have different spring and damper rates and their follow a different philosophy them porsche. Double wishbones all around!! Hell Porsche made a big deal that the new GT3 have double wishbone suspension in front now. Don’t get me wrong I love Porsche have 3. I am just expecting lotus to do the handling better! Tires included… Passionate people! They really want the Emira to be brilliant..
No Porsche tires on my Emira, when I get to talk with Gavin. I will pass along his thoughts 💭.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When you have a tire company willing to custom build tires and compounds for a specific car and chassis setup, and the guy requesting it is an industry legend for setting up a chassis, I don't see how you'd be able to improve on that with some other tire, regardless of that tire's reputation or rating.

I've ordered mine with the Goodyears, and that's all I plan on using on it.

firstlotus

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Tom. Very helpful.
I'm opting for the Goodyears with Sport Suspension, I don't need to slam a 100K car into a curb because it's wet or colder that day and the tires didn't grip as I thought they should... and since I'm not a professional race car driver, I may need an edge on a crisp drizzly fall day... cause sometimes I drive like I think I'm a professional race car driver... Isn't that why I'm getting the Emira after all... LoL.

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
From my Exige 410 experience I think it’s safe to say that neither the cups nor the good years will last the mileages stated above. If the car is used properly (no track use, but fast driving style), I would say it’s 10kkm for the cup2. Maybe you could use them longer than that, but performance and handling will definitely suffer. Driving such a high performing car with tyres that limit the overall performance level of chassis/engine/suspension etc. just doesn’t make sense for me.

I hear you. As a mountain biker I rate tires as the single most important component on my bike (spent a ton of $$$ on bike tires).

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have been very solid with my spec decision regarding the Emira, but in the last days, after re-watching videos from Harry and Shmee, it seems to me that Michelin Cup 2s are the way to go with Sports suspension.

My current spec is:

Emira FE V6 manual
Sport suspension
Hethel yellow
no upper black pack
black alcantara with yellow linings
black alcantara steering wheel
black wheels with Goodyears

A rather sporty spec I would say, except for the tires. I thought a little less grip generates a little more fun on the street, a little more playful. That's been my thoughts.

But having seen so many videos I am not sure about the tire decision anymore because the missing front end grip could also be the case because of the Goodyear's behaviour.

It reminds me of the change to Yokohama AD08RS tires on my VX220 Turbo, there is some front end grip missing now. Before I had Federal 595 RS tires and they had a superior grip level. All have the same tire dimensions.

I fear this could be the same with the front end of the Emira. Harry and Shmee were really enjoying the dartiness / front end grip. Harry in the blue Emira, Shmee in the Hethel yellow one, both with Sport Suspension and Cup 2s.

So maybe I will change to Michelin Cup 2s. In that configuration it will be pretty similar to a Cayman GT4 spec which I am aiming at, as this was my dream car before the Emira arrived.

So, what's your thoughts on Sport Suspension and pros/cons of Goodyear vs. Michelin Cup 2?

Last edited:

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also specced Sports with Goodyears and will definitely stick to it. The only advantage of the Cup2s is grip as you mentioned, grip that you don‘t need or even don’t want on the streets for having the most fun.
If front end grip is a consideration and won‘t be good enough (which I highly doubt for spirited road use), then a simple alignment could solve this issue as well, without having to spec the Cup2s and to accept all it‘s downsides.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Won't be using the car on track (probably). Will be mostly for leisure/fun purposes.

Cup2s are much higher end and costly so a better deal because the price is the same for FE. However, it's been said that Cup2s wear out pretty fast.

I have seen 10,000-20,000kms quoted for the CUP2s. On the other hand the Eagles have been said to last 40,000kms.

So am I better off with the Goodyear Eagles?
If you’re speccing the cup2s for road use then you should be doing so on the basis that you’re not taking the car out in bad weather. If that’s the case chances are you’ll be driving less miles and the wear won’t be as much of an issue anyway. Unless you drive like a Wally or doing track days they’ll last just fine, although not as long as the good years. Personally I’d prioritise your intended use over wear as it’s way more important in deciding which one to go with.