Full reviews incoming?

I've just seen this on twitter, new reviews incoming?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-185404_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-185404_Twitter.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 2,498

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
When you consider the amount of brands like Ferrari who stopped doing manuals some time ago it seems an odd stance to me.

They're defo super model material and no one seems to complain about their excellent DCT.
Ferrari's stopped being drivers cars a long time ago. Completely different demographic than people who want driver engagement like (most?) Emira buyers.

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have ordered a manual and auto Emira so when I'm in enthusiast mode I can take the manual.

Fezza and Mclaren, the performance brands, use auto for many reasons but were initially driven by outright performance stats and recently emission regs. The reason BMW is moving to slush boxes from dct is emission regs as slush boxes can be tuned easier ( I don't understand why that is but that's what they claim).

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Apparently I’m not an enthusiast because I’m ordering an auto but I drove 6000 miles in one year in a 991 GT3 and many of the enthusiasts don’t drive anywhere near that. I’d take every opportunity to drive the car including supermarket trips and school runs. Sometimes I’d go out at 11 o’clock at night or get up at 4am to drive empty roads. Not sure if it’s quite as simple as manual = enthusiast and auto =
Someone who owns a car

I’ve also had issues with sports car manuals in the past giving my dodgy knee issues

🙂
Ignore the noise. It’s a combination of confirmation bias and a strange faux “the drivers” enthusiast complex.

The best cars on the market today, by most tangible and intangible metrics are not manuals. Drive a pista or performante spiritedly or on track and tell me an Evora / Emira is more engaging experience.

The most curious part is Lotus has been around for a while and offered the Evora as a manual yet all these enthusiasts pop out the woodwork when they release a softer yet better looking model.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The trailer video for Series 32 shows Harris driving an Emira and the blurb for Series 32 in the TV listings has the Emira as one of the cars being tested. What we don’t know yet is which episode it’s in.

It would be great if it’s in tonight’s, ahead of the main press reviews on Mon/Tue, but as it’s a US road trip episode it may be light on car reviews.
Top gear feels like it’s more about the presenters than the cars. If said presenters were genuine car people it wouldn’t be as bad but unfortunately (with the exception of CH) they aren’t.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I have ordered a manual and auto Emira so when I'm in enthusiast mode I can take the manual.

Fezza and Mclaren, the performance brands, use auto for many reasons but were initially driven by outright performance stats and recently emission regs. The reason BMW is moving to slush boxes from dct is emission regs as slush boxes can be tuned easier ( I don't understand why that is but that's what they claim).
really??? you have ordered two???? I have ordered two too.... had to think about that 2 to too.... but it was not my intention, it was to do with being told Spain would not have the car, hence UK order//// manual Blue.... then told Spain do have the car, but I missed the boat... so I said, ok, but did I miss the car too? (2 to)... cut a long story short and I then ordered a Magna Red manual in Spain (not sure I made the right choice.. but well).
Whats your reason? Excess money, time, crazy, supports Uk industry...... or got confused and pressed the button twice. haha

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ferrari's stopped being drivers cars a long time ago. Completely different demographic than people who want driver engagement like (most?) Emira buyers.
A big part of this accessibility. Not as many people can afford Ferraris and, as is human nature, find reasons to support what they can afford. How many people would honestly given a straight choice between an Emira and say an F8 would take the former?

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A big part of this accessibility. Not as many people can afford Ferraris and, as is human nature, find reasons to support what they can afford. How many people would honestly given a straight choice between an Emira and say an F8 would take the former?
Me. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a F8 if I really wanted it, but for 3x the price of the Emira (at minimum) it is not 3x the car. Outright performance is not driver engagement.

I stopped caring about the numbers as much when supercars started engineering out the driver to get the best spec sheet possible. My Tesla will spank the Lotus in almost every performance metric except handling for half the cost, but why isn't everyone here buying one of those? It's not very engaging. The only auto I'd consider is Porsche's PDK in their RS cars, and that's mostly because of the 9k redline NA engine. Clearly everyone has different opinions, but these are mine.

EDIT: To get back on topic, does anyone know if we can expect the tonight's Top Gear episode to be released on youtube at 8pm UK time as well?

Last edited:

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Me. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a F8 if I really wanted it, but for 3x the price of the Emira (at minimum) it is not 3x the car. Outright performance is not driver engagement.

I stopped caring about the numbers as much when supercars started engineering out the driver to get the best spec sheet possible. My Tesla will spank the Lotus in almost every performance metric except handling for half the cost, but why isn't everyone here buying one of those? It's not very engaging. The only auto I'd consider is Porsche's PDK in their RS cars, and that's mostly because of the 9k redline NA engine. Clearly everyone has different opinions, but these are mine.

Exactly, they are your opinions just like other people have theirs. I've been lucky to have driven many special cars and to me performance is a part of engagement.

An Emira is also not 2x the GR Yaris for 2x the money but here we are...

P.S. The dual clutch in the 812 is also a thing of beauty, worth a try if you haven't experienced one.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I can tell you why everyone isn't buying a Telsa over an Emira, first reason its electric, second reason they all look god awful. (nice inside thou) basically a completely different animal.

Look i'm not knocking anyone who wants a manual each to their own.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Question: How do I live stream the new Top Gear today from the states? Searched YouTube, but still unsure...

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I dont know if I agree .... with the philosophy yes, but the reality is I think we all expect a quality car and I think if the interior fails, we will be back, or I will be, to Lotus or dealer or internet, to complain. There is no real excuse now for Lotus to have bad quality and if they do, exterior looks included, their values will NOT hold, last ICE blahblah but if quality is poor, people wont want it as much. Poor interior doesn't mean poor mechanics, but it gives an indication of the care taken and providers used.
if I was JUST interested in looks, I'd have married my ex Colombian, underwear model girlfriend, but arguing everyday gets on top of you (no pun....) and I dont want to argue with lotus about faulty workmanship and I do want it to hold its value and while its cheap, its still in the EU between 95 and 150 thousand euros!!!! Thats not cheap at all and there are other cars that give different pleasures out there....
fingers crossed these details are fixed..... I repeat, I think most of us
I certainly don't think anyone who gets an auto isn't an enthusiast. I just don't see the benefits outside of inability due to health issues like you alluded to, which makes sense and glad those folks have that option. For all other scenarios, getting an Emira in auto to me is like marrying a supermodel while being celibate.
Question: How do I live stream the new Top Gear today from the states? Searched YouTube, but still unsure...
Just keep hammering reload of this post - whoever posts the link first will be loved by all

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, they are your opinions just like other people have theirs. I've been lucky to have driven many special cars and to me performance is a part of engagement.

An Emira is also not 2x the GR Yaris for 2x the money but here we are...

P.S. The dual clutch in the 812 is also a thing of beauty, worth a try if you haven't experienced one.
I always seem to be picking on everything you say.. hhaa... not my intention at all, BUT... here we go.... and I accept I am not a good driver...wait.. not a fast driver....
I had a Honda E... before you scoff, it was fantastic!!!.... terrible range, but everything else was stunning.... and then I bought a Yaris GR, as harry bought one, thought why not.... looks fun.
I drove it about 150 km and sold it, admitedly I knew it wouldnt lose money, so that was a bonus, but the interior made me feel ... well my volvo 480 back from 1989 (showing my age...I didnt buy it new) had a better interior, and a MUCH MUCH better seating position.
I thought the Yaris was maybe fun in the wet, 4x4 but other wise... no. The honda has more torque I think and while not as fast, it feel just as fun and quliaty was way way WAY better, porsche level if not superior to be honest, external cameras, Neflix, plug appliances in... the best turning circle this side of a tricycle.

Sorry for picking on all your cars haha... people do love the yaris, but I went against the grain and I do in this case feel the Emira is at least 2 as good. 400 hp vs 250, looks wise 5 times, no 10 times better. Interior 5 times better and seating position to infinity and back... although I've not sat in one, so take that with a pinch of sea salt.

So, forgive me asking but where are you from? You live in the UAE, but I guess you are not from there?
I guess the emira is pretty cheap there? No purchase tax? Lets hope the aircon works better than on other Lotus's....

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I always seem to be picking on everything you say.. hhaa... not my intention at all, BUT... here we go.... and I accept I am not a good driver...wait.. not a fast driver....
I had a Honda E... before you scoff, it was fantastic!!!.... terrible range, but everything else was stunning.... and then I bought a Yaris GR, as harry bought one, thought why not.... looks fun.
I drove it about 150 km and sold it, admitedly I knew it wouldnt lose money, so that was a bonus, but the interior made me feel ... well my volvo 480 back from 1989 (showing my age...I didnt buy it new) had a better interior, and a MUCH MUCH better seating position.
I thought the Yaris was maybe fun in the wet, 4x4 but other wise... no. The honda has more torque I think and while not as fast, it feel just as fun and quliaty was way way WAY better, porsche level if not superior to be honest, external cameras, Neflix, plug appliances in... the best turning circle this side of a tricycle.

Sorry for picking on all your cars haha... people do love the yaris, but I went against the grain and I do in this case feel the Emira is at least 2 as good. 400 hp vs 250, looks wise 5 times, no 10 times better. Interior 5 times better and seating position to infinity and back... although I've not sat in one, so take that with a pinch of sea salt.

So, forgive me asking but where are you from? You live in the UAE, but I guess you are not from there?
I guess the emira is pretty cheap there? No purchase tax? Lets hope the aircon works better than on other Lotus's....
No worries at all, I welcome the conversation.

The Emira looks amazing - if we're being honest it's the primary reason most of us are buying one. We haven't driven it yet so we can't it's because it drives well even though it is what Lotus have a reputation for.

As far as cars I grew up on high performance cars and they've always been my thing. The Emira will probably be the slowest car I've owned but I really enjoyed my test drive in the Evora GT which is what sold me on it.

The Emira is actually a tad expensive here compared to the US - about $115K (5% VAT). It'll also be fairly rare as the roads are better suited to high performance GT's and supercars. I'm Welsh but currently live between Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Weyland

Reaction score
Tonight's Top Gear episode....looks like a roadtrip special. No mention of the Emira but hopefully it'll be included

Attachments

• IMG_20220605_140943.jpg
    IMG_20220605_140943.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 32

Weyland

Reaction score
I would be surprised if the Emira review isn't tonight as they will be well late for the party if its next weekend or the weekend after that.
They were 6 months late with their GT3 review!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
No worries at all, I welcome the conversation.

The Emira looks amazing - if we're being honest it's the primary reason most of us are buying one. We haven't driven it yet so we can't it's because it drives well even though it is what Lotus have a reputation for.

As far as cars I grew up on high performance cars and they've always been my thing. The Emira will probably be the slowest car I've owned but I really enjoyed my test drive in the Evora GT which is what sold me on it.
t
The Emira is actually a tad expensive here compared to the US - about $115K (5% VAT). It'll also be fairly rare as the roads are better suited to high performance GT's and supercars. I'm Welsh but currently live between Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
ohhh thats a disappointment, I was hoping for something more exotic than Wales.. haha.. but I will take it.

Agree looks wise, for me its a huge part.
Dont forget US prices are always quotes before sales / state tax and in general thats about 9-11% or so.... although an american can correct me there.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I can tell you why everyone isn't buying a Telsa over an Emira, first reason its electric, second reason they all look god awful. (nice inside thou) basically a completely different animal.

Look i'm not knocking anyone who wants a manual each to their own.
Certainly a lot more people have a Tesla than Lotus. I’ll be adding the Emira to my garage with 2 other Teslas.