• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

First review

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Reading this, my first thought was - How do I become a car "reviewer"? :ROFLMAO:

You get to spend hours driving new cars and then write up a few high level observations in a couple of paragraphs!
I was thinking the same just now! Give us enthusiasts a chance to review these cars, especially those that haven’t had Lotuses but have been in the car world for 20 years.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading this, my first thought was - How do I become a car "reviewer"? :ROFLMAO:

You get to spend hours driving new cars and then write up a few high level observations in a couple of paragraphs!

Exactly. The only difference is we are the ones actually buying the car and writing our thoughts for free here. 😂 I'm pretty sure any one of us could recite the specs and options (all ~3 of them) by heart at this point.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am sad about the 6800 RPM redline. It is still unclear if the redline changes to 7000 in sports mode.

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score

1654561706368.png

What's under the Emira's hood?

The Emira's hood is a glass cover behind the cockpit, leaving the engine beautifully exposed to view.

Well.....I only see some large black plastic panel covering an engine....
That could have been designed / created better imo.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This read almost like an Edmund's review of a used car. On the one hand they say:

"How does the Emira drive?
The outstanding impression is bewitching precision. Every input you give the Emira is answered immediately and exactly."

which is exactly what a Lotus is and feels like, yet then they say this:

"Indeed there's so much grip that you'll surely not broach it on the road, and with that comes our slight disappointment with the Emira. It's mostly operating so far within itself that it has lost some of the traditional Lotus cornering involvement. You don't feel enough nuances of the tires working beneath you."

Isn't that the whole idea of quality grip and performance?? This ISN'T simply a re-skinned Evora; it's the next level in Lotus precision and handling. I don't see that as disappointing at all! To me this is the kind of thing new "journalists" say who think they have to say something negative to show they're a real journalist. It was like the reviews of the Alfa Romeo Giulia when it first came out, how they raved about it's looks and handling, then quickly threw in the obligatory comments about how Alfa's were unreliable 25 years ago, to show they were seasoned, savvy and objective. 4 years 9 months later after I bought it, my Giulia was and still is an absolute jewel of a car.

What the Edmund's review says is not only does this car handle, it REALLY handles, and does so with incredible grip and precision. So far so good. Now let's see what actual driver enthusiast reviewers say, instead of copy editors in charge of the classifieds for used cars.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just finished reading the review, I understand his complaint as a compliment. It handles almost to perfectly. I believe this is what they call foreshadowing a more potent V6 coming. I feel like he is hinting that the chassis and suspension can handle a lot more. To be honest, I didn't really see it as a negative.

firstlotus

Reaction score

View attachment 6263

What's under the Emira's hood?

The Emira's hood is a glass cover behind the cockpit, leaving the engine beautifully exposed to view.

Well.....I only see some large black plastic panel covering an engine....
That could have been designed / created better imo.
They said they drove a V6 Manual car, but show the engine cover for the 4 cyl - Not the best proof/editing coverage Edmunds - and they didn't drive it on the Hethel track...? Just regular roads they said - that is strange why they wouldn't have the journalists drive it right outside of the factory front doors for a real review isn't it...? This car isn't for going to Church it's to be DRIVEN...!

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It was a very positive review, majority of it was info we already knew though. Hopefully the other reviews are less fluff...

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
So… If I had never heard of the Emira before this (which is most of the world) then this is a decent first read.

It would get the job done if the job were to “get someone to go find a better article/review”.

However, it sucks. Awful. Wrote-for-clicks SEO-based crap. The question - answer format is terrible at best.

It’s also basic. Written for an everyday reader. Basically any car driver, not “the other sports car” driver unless it’s actually any other sports car.

If Lotus had any part in this - preview, edit, or say in release timing, it’s just another miss. A gigantic miss.

This is the Wikipedia page write-up. Zero entertainment. Nil excitement. 0 interest gaining content. Nothing new.

Good news - anything that comes after this one just got the lowest bar for reviews to leap over. The bar is buried in the ground… This time, the first is the worst. Bad. Ugly. Awful. Yuck.

#ForTheWorst

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think this article is released pre-embargo because there's nothing in there that's new. Literally nothing. We've heard more from the prototype reviews than we read here.... just the same old rehashing of specs, dull cliches and so on.

This isn't a review, it's a copy/paste of Lotus' past press-releases. Absolutely uninspiring; not a review befitting any enthusiast car.

I'm looking forward to the Emira vs Cayman GTS 4.0 comparison. I have no doubt the Emira will "win" that shootout in terms of looks, but very curious about performance, especially with Lotus detuning the engine, meanwhile the Cayman GTS 4.0 offers essentially the same power, but in a naturally aspirated package revving 1,000 RPMs higher.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think this article is released pre-embargo because there's nothing in there that's new. Literally nothing. We've heard more from the prototype reviews than we read here.... just the same old rehashing of specs, dull cliches and so on.

This isn't a review, it's a copy/paste of Lotus' past press-releases. Absolutely uninspiring; not a review befitting any enthusiast car.

I'm looking forward to the Emira vs Cayman GTS 4.0 comparison. I have no doubt the Emira will "win" that shootout in terms of looks, but very curious about performance, especially with Lotus detuning the engine, meanwhile the Cayman GTS 4.0 offers essentially the same power, but in a naturally aspirated package revving 1,000 RPMs higher.

Edmunds isn't really writing for an enthusiast audience though. Their readers are coming on board to comparison shop CR-V with RAV4 and they might click the image with the pretty blue car and imagine a different life for a moment.