• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Exhaust Options Index

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So does the stock EMIRA have 3 cats total? 2 on headers and the 3rd?

I saw JUBU system of headers and others are catless, y-pipe is catless but they offer a HJS 200 cell that connects to the y-pipe. Would that go in place of the 3rd cat? Trying to wrap my head on visual here. ( first lotus :) )

I recently did the full Milltek with 3rd cat delete and controller. Absolutely amazing. Like others have stated I think the 3rd cat delete and controller are the big differentiators in sound.

OEM has 2 manifolds with integrated cats on each bank of the V6. Those are the primary monitored (2 x pre & post cat oxygen sensors) cats. The Y pipe joins the manifolds and collects to a single pipe where the third unmonitored cat is located.

Yes JUBU, Larini, and BOE all have systems where you can put headers on instead of manifolds without cats and a single 200 cell catalyst in place of the OEM 3rd cat. Those that can pass smog tests, you'll usually see two sets of bung holes in the 200 cell cat and extension cables for all the oxygen sensors.

675430VME

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Video clip of a FE 2.0 running a custom exhaust system controlled by factory DME without CEL

wuster

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wish we could do a poll for who installed which system so we could keep track of :)

debating between milltek, larini, and GRP :) Hope to post video

Stiffarm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
View this a public service announcement 😉

I installed the GRP mid pipe (non insulated), Milltek 3rd Cat delete, Milltek exhaust, and Milltek controller.

The car sounded great and I was very happy.

About a week after the installation I got a CEL and scheduled the car for service at my Lotus dealer. The car was scanned and the data goes immediately to Lotus.

This past Monday I was informed my car had been “red flagged” by Lotus and my powertrain warranty was voided. I was told the exhaust modification had ruined the primary cats, which I find hard to believe.

The service manager got Lotus to agree to reinstate my warranty if I put all the OEM parts back on the car. This has been done and I’m waiting for the cats to be replaced.

In talking with GRP, this all points to a bad O2 sensor, but my Lotus dealer claims there hands are tied.

I have limited options at this point, but to live with the OEM exhaust.

This is not a GRP/Milltek issue, just my bad luck.
Sorry for you. Bad karma---IF you had replaced the O2 sensor, would the Cel have gone away?

Tobiasz17azs

Reaction score
View this a public service announcement 😉

I installed the GRP mid pipe (non insulated), Milltek 3rd Cat delete, Milltek exhaust, and Milltek controller.

The car sounded great and I was very happy.

About a week after the installation I got a CEL and scheduled the car for service at my Lotus dealer. The car was scanned and the data goes immediately to Lotus.

This past Monday I was informed my car had been “red flagged” by Lotus and my powertrain warranty was voided. I was told the exhaust modification had ruined the primary cats, which I find hard to believe.

The service manager got Lotus to agree to reinstate my warranty if I put all the OEM parts back on the car. This has been done and I’m waiting for the cats to be replaced.

In talking with GRP, this all points to a bad O2 sensor, but my Lotus dealer claims there hands are tied.

I have limited options at this point, but to live with the OEM exhaust.

This is not a GRP/Milltek issue, just my bad luck.
WOW this scares me now to do 3rd cat delete and militek valve controller

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just as an FYI, if you think Lotus NA isn’t watching this forum like hawks and identifying who you are, you’re being naive.

They’ve done this in the past with other forums. If you’re trying to retain a valid powertrain warranty, you’re better off not talking about this or not adding potential identifying breadcrumbs.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That news is pretty disheartening and very much not for the drivers.

tnbuilder

Reaction score
Just as an FYI, if you think Lotus NA isn’t watching this forum like hawks and identifying who you are, you’re being naive.

They’ve done this in the past with other forums. If you’re trying to retain a valid powertrain warranty, you’re better off not talking about this or not adding potential identifying breadcrumbs.
I hope they are watching the A/C and some of the other threads like hawks then.

wuster

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I hope they are watching the A/C and some of the other threads like hawks then.
or really watching this thread...
Sorry for you. Bad karma---IF you had replaced the O2 sensor, would the Cel have gone away?
I still don't get the logic behind it ruining the primary cat or the O2 sensor... that's upstream of the 3rd cat and exhaust, no? that's some odd logic

Last edited:

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
or really watching this thread...

I still don't get the logic behind it ruining the primary cat or the O2 sensor... that's upstream of the 3rd cat and exhaust, no? that's some odd logic
i agree. I can see how a valve controller could be an issue.