• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Wheel Gap Discussion

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's a comparison against the yellow "reference production height" shot. We're down to millimeters now but I wish we could just get down another 5mm at the front and 3mm in the rear. Is it worth $3k in aftermarket coilovers? I'm still on the fence there. We'll see what it looks like in person.

View attachment 5904
You can always let some air from the tires. That should address your concern.

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Compare the Emira with the Series 1 Evora and it may be more apparent why it didn't sell very well. Side profile is OK but from some angles it's not so coherent as a design. By the time the 400/410/GT came along it was priced up at £80-90k. Plus when it launched it was just after a financial crisis - seems to be a Lotus thing to launch cars just as we hit choppy economic waters.

yellow_emira-jpg.5894

View attachment 5908
Comparing the Emira with the series 1 Evora is not entirely correct imo.
Your Emira picture has been previously posted, compared with an EVORA GT 410 Sport. (see pictures)
In that comparison the flaws of the Evora are fare more less as described in your post.
Indeed the Emira has an instant good impression (just like a mini Ferrari) , however for me the analogue Evora GT 410 Sport series has the raw and exclusive appearance the Emira is and will be missing.

1653432098048.png

1653432144894.png

signal-2022-05-05-225820_001.jpeg

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I am trying my best to take this thread seriously, honestly.....

I still cannot believe it exists.

If you don't like the ride height or wheel gap (or offset) , lower it yourself.

Very easy...... Whats the "biggie" problem ?
No problem I lower every car I buy. I plan on using the lowering cups. If you want to ride a couch stay home!

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
An advertised Big Mac is always bigger and has more ingredients than the Big Mac on your table......
Lotus and MacDonald are really unfair in their marketing.........?
The level of accuracy I expect from a $5 hamburger and a $94k sportscar are very different. I'd rather compare Lotus against Porsche, which seems to feel no need to enhance the appearance of their cars in their marketing materials and configurator.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
"The vehicle specifications detailed on this page are target specifications based upon simulations. We have carried out thousands of hours of computer modelling, dynamic simulation and engineering development that have contributed to the target specifications and we have a strong degree of confidence that as the prototype vehicles progress through their testing phases, the target specifications will be met and, in some cases, surpassed. All customers who have placed an order for Emira will be kept up-to-date with the prototype phase and invited to view its progress first-hand where suitable."
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 7.51.13 PM.png

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Emira of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My goodness I like this car. I think the silver perimeter on the rims just set it off. To me you can get really aggressive with silver cars by mixing in black highlights without it looking over the top. When you are ready to sell, let me know. I will ship to the states. If the price is right of course. :p.
Thanks a lot.
Deal done.
expected delivery in US 2024-2025
no ADM!!

s2kmunpo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Everyone is so concerned with the gap (It definitely will need to be lowered though) but not a ton of factory performance cars come with zero wheel gap. Wonder if the Ferrari Pista forums has a thread like this... 😂

1653444188443.png

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
That new Hethel Yellow pic looks great to me! The ride height isn't too high or too low for a production car and the wheel gap is fairly even.. and this is with an empty car. It'll sit even lower with driver and co-pilot. Don't forget the springs need room to compress and rebound without the tire biting into the fender liners! I just want it to drive great and look good while doing so without compromises.

Another thing to consider is that springs settle. The Emira uses Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. I've installed Eibach pro kit springs on at least 3 of my previous sports cars and they always settle a bit after a week or so after install...

I think we all need to let this thread die and come back once customers start receiving cars in a few months. The Emira is drop-dead gorgeous and we need to stop tearing it apart before it even arrives.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think we all need to let this thread die and come back once customers start receiving cars in a few months. The Emira is drop-dead gorgeous and we need to stop tearing it apart before it even arrives.
Fair point. I just note the irony that every attendee of the factory tour gets the big speech about how every body panel is laser-checked multiple times for sub-mm accuracy, and yet the ride height seems to vary wildly between different examples, with hand-wave explanations of "this is still preproduction". Precision should apply across the entire build, and does for other manufacturers at this price point.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You guys aren't taking into account the effect of lighting and light angle. The Evora is lit nicely from the side and you can see more of the edges of the tires. I've lightened up the shadows of the picture of the yellow car, so you can see more of the tire like on the Evora. Wheel gap is pretty darned close.

View attachment 5898
View attachment 5899
"Close" but perceptively lower for the Evora. And consistently so. The level of subtlety is the difference between a Porsche or Lexus OEM sport suspension package vs base suspensions. Lower by single digit millimeters with exacting tunes by the OEM to still be very practical for public road use. Conservative and, thus, generally not offered by aftermarket companies.

Not a deal breaker to me. Few mm higher means instead of jarring scrapes on CA driveways/dips, I may get occasional light brushes against pavement. Few mm lower sacrifices some of that peace of mind for sleeker aesthetics. Pros/cons to each are appreciable enough for me to acknowledge either way.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that springs settle. The Emira uses Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. I've installed Eibach pro kit springs on at least 3 of my previous sports cars and they always settle a bit after a week or so after install...

Good point on the Bilstein shocks/Eibach springs. I've also had that combo on multiple cars and, while most of the settling is done in the weeks that follow, they continue to gradually settle further for months. The overall difference can be quite staggering.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Fair point. I just note the irony that every attendee of the factory tour gets the big speech about how every body panel is laser-checked multiple times for sub-mm accuracy, and yet the ride height seems to vary wildly between different examples, with hand-wave explanations of "this is still preproduction". Precision should apply across the entire build, and does for other manufacturers at this price point.
I really doubt that there is that much variation ( actually any) in the ride height on final production cars.

In fact, "doubt" is not strong enough a word... I KNOW there is not any deviation in ride height on assembly line produced cars.

This entire thread should be labeled " Using photos taken at different heights and distances with different lighting and angles to falsely prove the different and varied ride heights of EMIRA"

Last edited:

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

At last, some common sense

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Everyone is so concerned with the gap (It definitely will need to be lowered though) but not a ton of factory performance cars come with zero wheel gap. Wonder if the Ferrari Pista forums has a thread like this... 😂

View attachment 5918
It is very easy to find a picture to fit your narrative . I guarantee they do talk about suspension and ride height. You just found a angle to fit your opinion🤷‍♂️
Here is the same car.
1653469923075.png

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It is very easy to find a picture to fit your narrative . I guarantee they do talk about suspension and ride height. You just found a angle to fit your opinion🤷‍♂️
Here is the same car. View attachment 5920
You seem to be a bundle of fun, Green. I bet you go down a storm at dinner parties 🙄

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You seem to be a bundle of fun, Green. I bet you go down a storm at dinner parties 🙄
Thank you! I’m sure you are just swell😂 sorry if I hurt your feelings.🥲
This is my R8 wheel gap. It handles superb and rides great.

Attachments

• E096EC5D-43FC-4250-A4A3-FBC489A175B5.jpeg
    E096EC5D-43FC-4250-A4A3-FBC489A175B5.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 74
  • ADD246F9-F0B5-469C-88B9-58B96B8695BC.jpeg
    ADD246F9-F0B5-469C-88B9-58B96B8695BC.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 71