• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Wheel Gap Discussion

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
First good side shot I've seen of one the press cars currently doing the rounds with an Evora GT 410 for comparison. 🤔
yellow_emira.jpg

lotus_evora_gt410_sport_january_2018_4.jpg

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Ni
First good side shot I've seen of one the press cars currently doing the rounds with an Evora GT 410 for comparison. 🤔
View attachment 5894

lotus_evora_gt410_sport_january_2018_4.jpg
Nice photo! To me the Emira seems to be sitting just a touch higher than I'd like it as the gap at the top looks marginally larger than it is at the sides (only my preference - there is no right or wrong!) but that could be down to the camber on the road slightly unweighting the side visible to the camera and it sitting a little higher as a result.

That Evora looks great!

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes to my eyes to does look a bit high at the front. Could be the road camber, but we've seen several pics now where it looks similar so I reckon that's probably the way it going to be. Far from being a deal breaker though.

The Evora does indeed look great. When you see them together like that it still seems odd that the Evora sold in such tiny numbers while the Emira is already a sales smash hit. They are different but not all that different

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Throughout recent months I've googled enough images of pre-production Emiras and Evoras to mentally engrain an average that accounts for deviations from various camera angles. The Evora sits consistently lower or at least creates that general perception. But it is on the scale of ~6-10mm (0.2-0.4") which some might say is the perfect lowering height, any lower is too low. That can't be fixed by aftermarket or at least it's rare enough that I haven't seen any 0.4" lowering springs/coilovers. Just OEM ones like from 5mm lower sport suspension packages or track editions or my OEM STI Japan 15mm lowering springs (an unheard of height among BRZ aftermarket offerings). People thought it looked stock but the subtle difference became night/day to me. Cleaner and subtly aggressive but not blatantly aftermarket.

Might sound kooky but people who may relate can instantly identify the blue Lotus NYO show car vs the original blue UK show car by only looking at a picture of one without the other to compare for reference. Identifying either of those cars alone eventually becomes obvious by wheel gap/offset from almost any angle.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You guys aren't taking into account the effect of lighting and light angle. The Evora is lit nicely from the side and you can see more of the edges of the tires. I've lightened up the shadows of the picture of the yellow car, so you can see more of the tire like on the Evora. Wheel gap is pretty darned close.

yellow_emira.jpg

lotus_evora_gt410_sport_january_2018_4.jpg copy.jpg

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You guys aren't taking into account the effect of lighting and light angle. The Evora is lit nicely from the side and you can see more of the edges of the tires. I've lightened up the shadows of the picture of the yellow car, so you can see more of the tire like on the Evora. Wheel gap is pretty darned close.

View attachment 5898
View attachment 5899
I don’t know what year Evora that is, but my 2021 GT has 1” of gap up front and not even 0.5” in the rear. I just measured it with a measuring tape.

If doing a finger test, front - can’t stick 2 fingers easily. Back - can’t stick 1 finger. And just to be clear, we are talking about cars!!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
i was starting to be a little worried about so much discussion about the wheel gap, and decided to take a few pictures of my Evora for comparison.
Got the the conclusion that much of it depends on where the picture is taking from.
IMHO, the Evora wheel gap looks ok in the flesh, and in pictures can look like different heights we've seen so far from Emira´s pictures, and definitely bigger gap than in the configurator.

Some examples of the same car:

View attachment 5864View attachment 5865View attachment 5866View attachment 5867View attachment 5868View attachment 5869

My goodness I like this car. I think the silver perimeter on the rims just set it off. To me you can get really aggressive with silver cars by mixing in black highlights without it looking over the top. When you are ready to sell, let me know. I will ship to the states. If the price is right of course. :p.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score

View attachment 5898
View attachment 5899
In addition, the Evora photo looks like it was taken at a slightly higher angle, to me. I can see more of the top of the hood, roof, and hatch. Could just be the shape of the car, though, but even the wheels don't look at the same angle, could be camber differences, I don't know.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
That new Hethel Yellow pic looks great to me! The ride height isn't too high or too low for a production car and the wheel gap is fairly even.. and this is with an empty car. It'll sit even lower with driver and co-pilot. Don't forget the springs need room to compress and rebound without the tire biting into the fender liners! I just want it to drive great and look good while doing so without compromises.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Another point - wheel gap might be less obvious on the gloss black wheels, depending on lighting, of course.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's a comparison against the yellow "reference production height" shot. We're down to millimeters now but I wish we could just get down another 5mm at the front and 3mm in the rear. Is it worth $3k in aftermarket coilovers? I'm still on the fence there. We'll see what it looks like in person.

1653410962468.png

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
IMHO, quite the opposite actually... Silver wheels will draw your attention to the wheels more than the gap... Black wheels are less defined and become more a void... making you search for details... including the gap.
All subjective of course.
I see your point, but to me, with black wheels, the gap becomes one with the wheel and kind of disappears (again, depends on lighting anyway)