Emira vs other Exotic Cars

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Totally agree. It’s always seemed that car manufacturers are a decade behind in graphic treatments (skewmorphism abounds!). Its like this obsession with iPads stuck to dashboards… surely in 2022 they can come up with a more integrated approach?

I think they did... on the Eletre. I'm a big fan of that "technology ribbon". Simple idea, but feels next gen to me. Beautifully done. Of course they've ALSO stuck a giant iPad to the dash but, again I don't mind that. I loved the screen in my Model 3 and would gladly take that over most other implementations. If there isn't a good screen in the car, I'm going to end up tacking my phone up somewhere worse so either way, there's something tacked on :)

We'll probably only get past the giant screen when HUDs get better / cheaper and start filling up your field of view. Either that or we'll be wearing iGlasses that take over for our screens.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Different strokes, but I look at that (new) Ferrari digital dash and I think it looks incredibly old. The overuse of gradients and bordered boxes and layered transparencies and the skewmorphism of metal numbers... it reminds me of iOS 3. Over-designed and out of date.

Probably because I'm a UX designer myself, but I'm a big fan of minimal graphics. I don't find the Emira's interface boring. Simplify and add lightness absolutely translates to UX/UI and I think they've designed with restraint here, in a good way. It should age better than something like the Ferrari. Of course the nice part of fully digital dashes is that they can be updated, but will Lotus become the kind of company who invests in aggressive software improvement and updates? Probably not on this car.

In any case, I like the Emira screen. I'd like it more if they used OLED hardware, so the black areas were true black and not bleeding light.

I also like the "tacked on" screen. Integrated screens inevitably make a dashboard bloated. Looking at the images I posted above, every screen looks terrible. The Alpine screen looks old. The Mclaren looks like a Newton attached to a RAM mount. The screen in the Cayman is integrated but far too low down. I've driven one of those quite a but and interaction with that screen pulls your eyes too far away from the road. The 911 integrates the screen nicely but that dash is big and bulky because of it, and I just prefer svelte/low dashboards that offer great forward visibility and that inevitably means a tacked on screen. I want CarPlay, and I think the Emira strikes the right balance.

Overall I think they nailed the interior. I genuinely love it.
Absolutely - different strokes. I really, really wanted to love the Emira. Got my deposit down as soon as I saw it. But a supposedly analog drivers' car with literally nothing analog in the interior left me completely cold. My wife saw my face drop when I sat in it. I want a car to excite me and feel special inside, not just present me the essentials minimalistically. Every single other sports/supercar has a skeumorphic rev counter and Lotus got it right with a white line? Not exciting, and sadly not for me.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Absolutely - different strokes. I really, really wanted to love the Emira. Got my deposit down as soon as I saw it. But a supposedly analog drivers' car with literally nothing analog in the interior left me completely cold. My wife saw my face drop when I sat in it. I want a car to excite me and feel special inside, not just present me the essentials minimalistically. Every single other sports/supercar has a skeumorphic rev counter and Lotus got it right with a white line? Not exciting, and sadly not for me.

When I sat inside, I got very unexpected (but welcomed) retro vaporwave vibes. Something about this car from the driver's seat reminds me of the 80s. I think it's due to very simple/flat surfacing on the dash, but then this addition of the screens with knight-rider-esque graphics give it this futuristic vibe, like sitting in a version of the future as imagined in 1985. I did not expect that to be the feeling inside this car, and maybe I'm the only one feeling it, but as a child of the 80s who grew up with knight rider and video games like Spy Hunter and Chase HQ and Hard Driven'... it excited me in a different way lol.

But I totally understand your take here, you were looking for at least a Speedmaster but were presented with a Casio.

GAVLA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Evora has the best front view for me. Probably f8 tributo has the sexiest rear for me. Thanks for posting.
The Emira has the best front view for me. The F8 Tributo the best rear.

firstlotus

Reaction score
View attachment 777View attachment 778Ferrari 296 GTB V6 hybrid
Silverstone, Sept 2021
TAMH-252-scaled-1.jpg

Ford-GT40-1966-profile.jpg

Ferrari just copied the silhouette of their archrival the 1966 Ford GT...! They just changed the side intakes...!
The Ford GT still looks better...LoL...
No Imagination...