Emira V6 revving out - video sound

A bit too muffled in my opinion... problem is, aftermarket exhausts will probably cost an arm and a leg.
Removing the third cat on a V6 and replacing it with a straight pipe should be simple and cheap, like many have done on the Evora. The rare metals in the cat mean you can currently sell them for scrap value for about the same as the cost of doing the modification, so net it's a free upgrade.

It'll be noticeably louder without that cat, possibly too loud for some countries and some track days.

Removing the third cat on a V6 and replacing it with a straight pipe should be simple and cheap, like many have done on the Evora. The rare metals in the cat mean you can currently sell them for scrap value for about the same as the cost of doing the modification, so net it's a free upgrade.

It'll be noticeably louder without that cat, possibly too loud for some countries and some track days.
Tom do we know if we would need two straight pipes vs the Evora's one?

Yes, I guess you're right. Now being that this is my first lotus, I have a few questions. Would this void warranty? and would removing the 3rd cat require any tune etc. ?

Yes, I guess you're right. Now being that this is my first lotus, I have a few questions. Would this void warranty? and would removing the 3rd cat require any tune etc. ?

Lotus said installing a CAI voids warranty so I am assuming if you look at it wrong your warranty is gone

Lotus said installing a CAI voids warranty so I am assuming if you look at it wrong your warranty is gone
One of the main reasons I bought the Lotus is for its lack of aftermarket parts (I have a slight obsession with upgrading them), so I think I will steer away from any warranty-voiding additions.... for now at least.

The dealer can try to void a warranty but it's not that simple. Now if you changed a part on the car and that was a direct result of the failure and this can be pinpointed then Yes you won't be covered for that item. But for instance if you remove the 3rd cat and then your headlights don't worry a week later then the dealer will have no choice but to warranty the item. Personally I have modified every car I've owned and every service department was extremely reasonable (because they obviously get paid for doing the work and they're in the buisness of making money)

Tom do we know if we would need two straight pipes vs the Evora's one?
Good point! I'd assumed only one, as everyone at Lotus talks about "the third cat" rather than plural, but I've not seen the details. Doubling up the third cat would be an extra cost you'd expect they'd try to avoid.

It didn't void the warranty on my Evora (the dealer did the work) and didn't need a tune. Sometimes a change to exhaust components or air intakes can throw the sensors and/or mixture off and hence cause error codes and warning lights. But usually easy to resolve.

Often a good idea to let a few others be the early adopters and learn from their experience :)

@TomE I am looking forward to Evolves intake solution because their parts are usually of the highest quality. But I've seen them make mistakes (S65 plenum) so waiting is certainly a smart decision

A bit too muffled in my opinion... problem is, aftermarket exhausts will probably cost an arm and a leg.
I think it's the hardware and space that's veiling the sound. I stood next to and behind the Emira at a viewing and promise you, it sounded angry and exhilarating... Not a sound you'd soon forget.

Last edited:
This is a good YT video of the Emira V6 being revved out so you can hear the exhaust and supercharger.
Go straight to 4m30sec to avoid listening to some bell end prattle on about something he doesnt know about, but the noise is fantastic.
Haha I just realized that's the dealership I ordered from!

This is a good YT video of the Emira V6 being revved out so you can hear the exhaust and supercharger.
Go straight to 4m30sec to avoid listening to some bell end prattle on about something he doesnt know about, but the noise is fantastic.

Sounds great to me. Remember it was likely filmed on a phone or cheap microphone, will sound a lot more visceral in real life Im sure. Not too much pop and crackle either its just the right amount.

@TomE I am looking forward to Evolves intake solution because their parts are usually of the highest quality. But I've seen them make mistakes (S65 plenum) so waiting is certainly a smart decision
Just wait for eventuri if you LIKE CARBON FIBER. CARBON FIBER CARBON FIBER CARBON FIBER

Last edited: