Emira LSD available on I4?

FirstTimeLotus

Reaction score
I tried researching online, but I saw the SC V6 with manual comes with LSD. It seems the auto does not. Will this be the case for the i4? It would be a bummer if not. Maybe it will be an option with a sport pack? Not sure how lotus breaks down their options (I'm much more familiar with Porsche).

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I tried researching online, but I saw the SC V6 with manual comes with LSD. It seems the auto does not. Will this be the case for the i4? It would be a bummer if not. Maybe it will be an option with a sport pack? Not sure how lotus breaks down their options (I'm much more familiar with Porsche).
The A45s has some fancy electronically controlled twin clutch pack e-diff on the rear of the car, so I’m hoping it would have something similar….. otherwise it will be inner braking e-diff. For a road car, it’s fine to have e-diff, but not sure how folks think about it on here

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hey Tom! Just drove my first C8 and loved it. What should I do?:)

hE9FuuF.jpg

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The A45s has some fancy electronically controlled twin clutch pack e-diff on the rear of the car, so I’m hoping it would have something similar….. otherwise it will be inner braking e-diff. For a road car, it’s fine to have e-diff, but not sure how folks think about it on here
Just gently pointing out that the Emira uses the "transverse" drive output on the DCT-8G transmission, which drives the A45's front wheels.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I want to add that I think there’s a lot of issues in the automotive world between the nomenclature and the marketing of systems that limit slip off the wheels.

There are all sorts of terms thrown around out there that could be potentially confusing: LSD, eDiff, eLSD etc.

I prefer to categorize them:

Mechanical LSD: The tried and true variety, torsens, clutch, etc.

Electronic LSD: Clutch based LSD systems that are electronically controlled via a motor and managed by a stability control system.

Brake LSD: This isn’t specific individual device but it uses a stability control system to signal to the drive wheels’ brakes to apply brakes to each wheel individually to achieve the action of limiting slip.

The Emira Manual has a mechanical lsd, but I’m under the impression both the IPS and DCT have a brake based LSD — meaning they actually have an open differential. Does anyone have a better understanding of what’s in those automatic options?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The modern A45 has open diffs both front and back, but with clutch packs added at the rear axle to perform locking duties in case of slippage.

It's technically possible to add a mechanical LSD to the DCT-8G, but I don't know if Mercedes would do that for Lotus without doing so for their own cars.

Clutch pack based LSD is almost certainly not going to be a thing for Lotus given the lack of space.

That leaves brake based locking, which is not ideal…