• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Issues - from final production cars

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All,

My car is only 1 week old. It is May 2023 build. Creaking of the steering when at stationary (coming out of parking/parking) and at very low speed steering- this maybe covered in previous topic. See video below

Is it due to the:
1) chassis
2) tyre
3) suspension (I’m on tour)
4) something serious I should be really worried about?

Thanks all

If it isn't just Ackerman effect during low speed manuevering, could be steering pump (unsure if that known issue was resolved by the time yours was built) ... worth getting the dealer to check the fluid level etc.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Australian cars , but more issues.
The windshield wiper issue is definitely not news but I hadn't heard of the others. I'm not sure how embellished the story is vs. what the actual safety hazards are, but judging by the dismissive nature of the Emira's value vs. the GTS 4.0 at the end of the article, I'd wager that this guy is a Porsche fanboy and painted Lotus in the worst possible light here. Just my 02 cents without knowing much about the rest of the context.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The windshield wiper issue is definitely not news but I hadn't heard of the others. I'm not sure how embellished the story is vs. what the actual safety hazards are, but judging by the dismissive nature of the Emira's value vs. the GTS 4.0 at the end of the article, I'd wager that this guy is a Porsche fanboy and painted Lotus in the worst possible light here. Just my 02 cents without knowing much about the rest of the context.
They're all known issues in the UK and have been for some months.....

Martylemoo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
2 days in of ownership, Airbag light on when I moved the seat, ESC light, Brake warning take to service and Parking Brake issue and car won’t start.
I assume these are all the common ones?
Take to dealer to get the latest update removed? Or just battery off for a bit?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
2 days in of ownership, Airbag light on when I moved the seat, ESC light, Brake warning take to service and Parking Brake issue and car won’t start.
I assume these are all the common ones?
Take to dealer to get the latest update removed? Or just battery off for a bit?
How are you in San Diego and "2 days in of ownership"? Has the Emira received CARB (California Air Resource Board) certification so it can legally be sold in the U.S. now?

SONOFEMERY

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't know if this qualifies for this thread, but just noticed some interior trim on the A pillar not properly seated/fixed in place. What're the chances this is something I can get my dealer to take care of? Owned for not even a week yet. I could also fix myself but thus far unfamiliar with this sort of thing.

Got a feeling the Lotus experience is going to teach me a lot about DIY repairs 🥲

IMG_4331.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't know if this qualifies for this thread, but just noticed some interior trim on the A pillar not properly seated/fixed in place. What're the chances this is something I can get my dealer to take care of? Owned for not even a week yet. I could also fix myself but thus far unfamiliar with this sort of thing.

Got a feeling the Lotus experience is going to teach me a lot about DIY repairs 🥲

View attachment 43191View attachment 43192
Probably not a factory issue but your dealer rushing the airbag safety recall before delivering the car :D They should remedy this easily.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect that a simple small thump with the heel of your hand would pop the fastener for that all the way back in.....

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I didn't see the AirCon issue in the table on page one. There's a lengthy thread for that.

ManOfSteel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I probably should have posted my story in this thread:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I'm out driving today. Beautiful weather, 85 degrees. About a half hour into my drive, the yellow triangle with exclamation point warning symbol pops up on the display. Everything seems fine, so I continue. After I get home and pull into the garage, I'm going over the front of the car, cleaning off the few bugs I had picked up, when I noticed a bug had perfectly sacrificed itself right on one of the front parking sensors. Oh the humanity. Cleaned it off, and everything's fine.

Other than that bit of drama, the car's been flawless so far. 150 miles, and still have just over half of it's first tank of gas.

David s

Reaction score
So I'm out driving today. Beautiful weather, 85 degrees. About a half hour into my drive, the yellow triangle with exclamation point warning symbol pops up on the display. Everything seems fine, so I continue. After I get home and pull into the garage, I'm going over the front of the car, cleaning off the few bugs I had picked up, when I noticed a bug had perfectly sacrificed itself right on one of the front parking sensors. Oh the humanity. Cleaned it off, and everything's fine.

Other than that bit of drama, the car's been flawless so far. 150 miles, and still have just over half of it's first tank of gas.
Yeah. Sounds like my experience of ownership. I fact, every other owner I personally know. After 6 months of daily driving, I've had zero issues. I think the negative things Iv`e hh]eard seem to come from people who have waited years before getting their cars, or people who haven't got theirs yet. I guess it would give you the shits...then a minor warranty issue shows up, and then all hell breaks loose..."the gear knob inscription is too rough on my hands...the starter button is under a spring gate....something made a squeak but I'm not sure if it came from my dog or not...."

Real issues are "something broke and I had to get a tow". If you want tutonic perfection and permanent boredom...just get that Porsche you actually really wanted. And then keep plenty of tissues on you to wipe the drool off your lips when you see an Emira on the road.

I can't wait for your USA guys to finally all get your cars so you can finally shut up about all the neg crap, and start writing about the fun and joy your car is bringing you.

David s

Reaction score
I’ve heard back from customer service. unfortunately, they aren’t allowed to send me out a replacement gear knob (original is poorly finished and rough to touch) as it would invalidate my warranty if I fit a replacement myself! They are looking into sending someone out to fit a replacement to avoid the long round trip to the dealership.

It would be good if they sent someone knowledgable to have a look at a couple of other minor issues I’m having so they could liaise with a dealer and get any other parts ordered. It would be ideal if could get everything done in one visit.
I could send you a furry kangaroo scrotal sack which I can take off the handle end of a bottle opener my son gave me for fathers day last year if you want. That should protect you from any injuries until Lotus sorts this defect out. ;):)

David s

Reaction score
I`m still arguing with Lotus to pay towards a few
psych sessions to manage the fact that I`m now invisible when I exit the car when I park in a busy street. They say the person does not qualify as a warranty issue. I argue that I feel like I`m part of the car when my arse is in the drivers seat. :)

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah. Sounds like my experience of ownership. I fact, every other owner I personally know. After 6 months of daily driving, I've had zero issues. I think the negative things Iv`e hh]eard seem to come from people who have waited years before getting their cars, or people who haven't got theirs yet. I guess it would give you the shits...then a minor warranty issue shows up, and then all hell breaks loose..."the gear knob inscription is too rough on my hands...the starter button is under a spring gate....something made a squeak but I'm not sure if it came from my dog or not...."

Real issues are "something broke and I had to get a tow". If you want tutonic perfection and permanent boredom...just get that Porsche you actually really wanted. And then keep plenty of tissues on you to wipe the drool off your lips when you see an Emira on the road.

I can't wait for your USA guys to finally all get your cars so you can finally shut up about all the neg crap, and start writing about the fun and joy your car is bringing you.
I started this thread yesterday just so you would think better of us! 😉

Thread 'North America, let’s give the Emira some love!'
https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/north-america-let’s-give-the-emira-some-love.4596/

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I could send you a furry kangaroo scrotal sack which I can take off the handle end of a bottle opener my son gave me for fathers day last year if you want. That should protect you from any injuries until Lotus sorts this defect out. ;):)
The perfect solution for knob issues.

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score

My car has been perfect aside from the cold start issue.
It’s back at the dealer now to try to rectify this (again).

It’s a minor annoyance, but it is a little odd that Lotus seem to be struggling to find the cause of the problem.
Apparently it’s a very common fault - the dealer said that even a couple of their demo cars have the same issue.

That aside, I love the car.
it’s a superb drivers car and in terms of looks, performance, handling, and comfort I can’t fault it.
In terms of desirability it is so far in front of the equivalent Porsche it’s not funny.