• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Issues - from final production cars

GAVLA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Windscreen removal and replacement instructions for the Emira which was sent to me by Lotus Service Centre!

Attachments

• Windscreen replacement (1).pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 85

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ohhh wow!! Hopefully that was somehow a complete fluke or streak of bad luck! now this had got me slightly worried, I’ll try and pre-warn the fitters without telling them how to suck eggs 😂

Thank you !!
Don’t be afraid to issue egg-sucking instructions! The fitters don’t want to do it twice!

I know my local chaps quite well as I’ve been there a lot over the last 6 months!

They said they would do a fitting guide for the Emira to put on their system but…

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Windscreen removal and replacement instructions for the Emira which was sent to me by Lotus Service Centre!
Yep, I had them but they’re crap.

eg: it says to “connect the aerials before bonding the screen” which is pretty much impossible.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
While we’re on the subject of windscreens, having had a crack in mine was actually a blessing in disguise.

The original factory fitted screen was so badly fitted it was leaking.

I had noticed some water in the vin window that I had put down to condensation but it actually was water leaking through a gap in the adhesive.

IMG_8041.jpeg

Also note the crappy blobs of adhesive, not a proper bead.
I would have assumed they were machine fitted at build, but apparently not.

The back of my dashboard would have been slowly filling with water (with predictable consequences) if that stone hadn’t hit me.

Every cloud, etc…

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
While we’re on the subject of windscreens, having had a crack in mine was actually a blessing in disguise.

The original factory fitted screen was so badly fitted it was leaking.

I had noticed some water in the vin window that I had put down to condensation but it actually was water leaking through a gap in the adhesive.

View attachment 30717

Also note the crappy blobs of adhesive, not a proper bead.
I would have assumed they were machine fitted at build, but apparently not.

The back of my dashboard would have been slowly filling with water (with predictable consequences) if that stone hadn’t hit me.

Every cloud, etc…
What the actual F Lotus?!? I expect better than this.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
After around 4 months of ownership I have paint bobbling on the passenger side door

Does anyone else have this? Hard to capture in a photo - more obvious in a video which I might post later

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
After around 4 months of ownership I have paint bobbling on the passenger side door

Does anyone else have this? Hard to capture in a photo - more obvious in a video which I might post later
A few have had

Does anyone else have this? Hard to capture in a photo - more obvious in a video which I might post late

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A few have had this same issue on both sides and in my case the driver side only. Get it booked in so it can be authorised from Lotus as there is a waiting list for new doors. The new door then has be resprayed.

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Yep, needs a new door. Mine has been on order for several months and no news as yet. The more it bubbles eventually the paint flakes off and leaves a chalky white blob instead which is lovely.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To those who have paint bubbles on the door/s, do you leave your car outside in the rain?

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To those who have paint bubbles on the door/s, do you leave your car outside in the rain?

Yes, but the issue is apparently due to an issue in the actual composite material the door is made of not curing properly which allows the moisture in. The body shop said even if it was sanded right the way down and repainted it would still happen again.

No idea if the car was only ever dry whether that would mean it wouldn't appear even if the issue is present underneath.

Here's a photo of mine I took just now. It has looked worse, I think we had heavy rain which washed away some of the whiteness.

LfFLISh.jpg

The white bits aren't reflection, it is the bit with no paint.

qsi2pdY.jpg

Wider image showing more of the bubbling. There are other areas on the door too but this is the worst spot. Still no bubbling anywhere else on the car, and I keep checking just in case!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah from what I understood this is an issue with a new supplier that provides the bodywork for the Emira.

Like @scoates mentioned, needs a brand new panel.

kin

Reaction score
Should it matter? I can get a Kia without these kinds of problems. WTH Lotus.
I think the point of asking the question is to get more data points as to why this might be happening and how owners might be able to avoid it temporarily rather than an excuse for Lotus's quality control :).

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I may have mentioned this, previously but I had this happen on composite bodied car, many years ago. Apparently, composite material must be dry and sealed before primer/paint is applied. If not, moisture from the inside can wick to the outside, causing bubbling of the paint. Of course, Lotus should have plenty of experience in this regard.

You guys in the US who are receiving your Emiras within the next 6-12 months: Good luck!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I may have mentioned this, previously but I had this happen on composite bodied car, many years ago. Apparently, composite material must be dry and sealed before primer/paint is applied. If not, moisture from the inside can wick to the outside, causing bubbling of the paint. Of course, Lotus should have plenty of experience in this regard.

You guys in the US who are receiving your Emiras within the next 6-12 months: Good luck!
I’m really hoping this is a non issue in California — but maybe the GRP will bubble simply being transported via ocean.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sounds like the issue has nothing to do with the environment after painting, and everything to do with the composite manufacturing/curing process prior to painting.......
Need to move the GRP factory further away from Hethel to give the panels more time to cure during transit. Oh wait, Portugal is already sitting on the edge...