Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A1EF8EB3-BB7E-4CC5-A81B-BF8B3E8F6874.jpeg

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I found this very interesting post about why the Japanese drive on the left side of the road! Wow! True or not, it is funny and cool.

Decided on Which Side the Knife Is on

The Edo era is when the samurai ruled the Japanese world. The samurai usually would wear a sword on their left side because it makes drawing it with the right hand easier. It's said that the streets were way more narrow than they are today, so when the samurai walked on the right side with their swords tied on the inside, they would collide against one another. That's when the samurai decided to walk to the left so the swords wouldn't hit each other,
and from there it just stuck.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
@RapidLotus, all vehicles originally drove on the left side of the road (i.e. right hand "drive"). That was so coachdrivers could pull their weapons with their right hands to ward off approaching threats (plus, we live in a left-to-right culture, so it made cultural sense).

It was the French who decided to change sides, largely to piss off the English. And the strong French influence in the US meant that right side driving became prominent.

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@RapidLotus, all vehicles originally drove on the left side of the road (i.e. right hand "drive"). That was so coachdrivers could pull their weapons with their right hands to ward off approaching threats (plus, we live in a left-to-right culture, so it made cultural sense).

It was the French who decided to change sides, largely to piss off the English. And the strong French influence in the US meant that right side driving became prominent.
I actually read it was the Germans that 1st moved to the left because it was more efficient to shift with the right hand since most people are right handed. Efficiency first in Germany! Either story is probably equally correct though.
Your reference to coach applies to England if I remember correctly.
Let's ALL be happy that nobody decided to swap the peddles around! Can you imagine if the gas was on the left and the clutch on the right in some countries!

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The car at the show was the same pre-production grey car that toured North America last year. No new news, so not posting pictures.
Looking forward to production and shipment !