Lotus Harajuku Tokyo reopened Dec 10, 2022 as the first showroom in the Asian market equipped with the latest Lotus CI

My EMIRA I4 AMG FE is on order with Lotus Japan as nr. 5 in the queue (for I4 FE).

On Saturday 10, 2022 I had the pleasure of being invited to the opening day of the remodeled Lotus Harajuku Tokyo showroom, that also function as a dealership for Lotus Japan importer LCI. My EMIRA order is through this Harajuku dealership in a prime location of Tokyo that is also one of the top tourist locations in Japan.

The only car on display was a Verdant EMIRA V6 manual with tan interior, a loaner from LOTUS UK, fully equipped with UK number plates. This car will eventually be shipped back to the UK, while permanent Japan Specification demo cars will arrive at the end of January or early February. Current schedule shows that the first customer cars (originally scheduled for September 2022) will actually be delivered during March 2023.

The visual effect of the Verdant EMIRA in the fully equipped, brand new LOTUS CI showroom was stunning, and the overall impression was one of stunning desirability.

My non-official information is that the EMIRA FE quota for Japan is (probably) 200 V6 engined cars (most of them manual transmission, and some of them with torque converter automatic transmission), and 100 I4 AMG, all of which has Mercedes AMG 8-speed Dual Clutch automated transmission (DCT/PDK - call it what you want - just not “another automatic gear box” ;-)

Japan is in fact one of the largest markets for Lotus outside the UK, and there are considerable numbers of true Lotus aficionados and enthusiasts in this country.

Attachments

• 233EE058-C40F-4E1C-8FA4-DB71D98BED6F.jpeg
    233EE058-C40F-4E1C-8FA4-DB71D98BED6F.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 4,978
  • 2C6C6AB0-4D68-442A-8234-B694ADC76F9D.jpeg
    2C6C6AB0-4D68-442A-8234-B694ADC76F9D.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 164
  • F508B223-3489-4B5D-BB3B-D6010787E769.jpeg
    F508B223-3489-4B5D-BB3B-D6010787E769.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 730A9B2A-08AD-4A8E-AC07-7CE341835E19.jpeg
    730A9B2A-08AD-4A8E-AC07-7CE341835E19.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 181

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was there too the other day, and FINALLY was allowed to touch / sit inside / fiddle with the infotainment system. KEF audio sounded decent, seats were comfortable once adjusted (I am 5'7" / 170cm), noted the mirrors even folded are the widest part of the car. Forgot to check out the LOTUS merchandise.

OP
Tokion

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was there too the other day, and FINALLY was allowed to touch / sit inside / fiddle with the infotainment system. KEF audio sounded decent, seats were comfortable once adjusted (I am 5'7" / 170cm), noted the mirrors even folded are the widest part of the car. Forgot to check out the LOTUS merchandise.
Hi virtualmacho

Yes, like you, I was allowed to listen to the audio with pre-recorded files (elevator jazz). Just as I feared, the Emira premium KEF Audio to me sounded so-so, somewhat mediocre, and not at all “premium” as touted. (I am in high-end home-audio, but I don’t expect a car audio system to sound like my high-end system at home.)

However, I would have hoped the Lotus KEF system had sounded comparable to my 2013 BMW Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo Touring. This car has a one rank higher than standard audio system (their “premium” audio), which is a 7 channel Harman Kardon. This 9 year old car seems to have a better sounding system than the Emira. After I take delivery of my car, I will look into DSP programming and other means to improve things.

However; the main point is that everything else I have seen and heard about the EMIRA is that it is a fantastic drivers car, and the exterior and interior also looks awesome. So the minor hitch about the audio system does not at all finish my interest and enthusiasm for this wonderful sportscar.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Kef sound systems need the correct feed

My home Kef’s have no volume and sound muffled when listening to internet radio (DAB), but when using Spotify on its highest quality they sound great

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Hi virtualmacho

Yes, like you, I was allowed to listen to the audio with pre-recorded files (elevator jazz). Just as I feared, the Emira premium KEF Audio to me sounded so-so, somewhat mediocre, and not at all “premium” as touted. (I am in high-end home-audio, but I don’t expect a car audio system to sound like my high-end system at home.)

However, I would have hoped the Lotus KEF system had sounded comparable to my 2013 BMW Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo Touring. This car has a one rank higher than standard audio system (their “premium” audio), which is a 7 channel Harman Kardon. This 9 year old car seems to have a better sounding system than the Emira. After I take delivery of my car, I will look into DSP programming and other means to improve things.

However; the main point is that everything else I have seen and heard about the EMIRA is that it is a fantastic drivers car, and the exterior and interior also looks awesome. So the minor hitch about the audio system does not at all finish my interest and enthusiasm for this wonderful sportscar.
What did you think was "off" about the Kef system?

0pirates0

Reaction score
Nice showroom! BTW, did your dealer mentioned what time the amg i4 cars will land in Japan?

OP
Tokion

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What did you think was "off" about the Kef system?
As I heard it, demonstrated by sales staff, I had no influence on program material, and could not operate settings and controls of the audio system; so I just heard it “as is” and “as presented to me”.

It did not have much focus and pin-pointing to vocals or individual instruments of the music. It was not an “enveloping sound” with neither insight nor realism regarding the musical performance and recording environment. As a lifelong audiophile, I am familiar with KEF and other UK audiophile brands since the early 1970s, and I respect KEF very much, also having listened under very good conditions to their “Blade“ models for home-use.

As a soon-to-be EMIRA FE owner, I am hoping that I will get a better impression of the premium KEF audio system in my upcoming car when I become in control of both my own chosen music material, and also of the audio system controls and settings. I hope to become positively surprised and pleased at the end. (And even if this does not happen; I will then look into further mods and careful manipulations to the system.) I do keep a positive mind, and I am 100% positive for the EMIRA FE (in my case the I4 AMG with DCT) which I look forward to enjoy alongside my BMW ALPINA B3 Touring here in Tokyo where I live.

OP
Tokion

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nice showroom! BTW, did your dealer mentioned what time the amg i4 cars will land in Japan?
I think in this case not even the Japan importer and distributor (LCI) knows. Everyone is at the mercy of what Lotus UK is able to deliver. It seems first FE V6 3.5 Cars will be delivered to customers in Japan from end of March 2023. I have been told that my I4 2.0 will come after May 2023, but the actual month and date is undetermined.

And right now the Covid situation in China is sharply worsening; so this may have implications in parts deliveries to Lotus UK.

Only patience will take us through…..