Japan - Navigation app recommendations?

JaviLM

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi all,

I'm wondering what navigation app (or external device) you recommend for the Emira in Japan.

Before the Emira I had a very standard Toyota. The onboard ナビ wasn't very cool, but it provided very clear driving instructions such as "in X meters take the exit on the left towards such-and-such-place". The onboard GPS was also very accurate, even inside tunnels in the mountains.

Now with the Emira, I'm using Google Maps because the onboard navigation doesn't work in Japan, but I'm not very happy with it. The phone's GPS isn't accurate, the instructions aren't clear ("take the junction", without saying which way to go), and it often suggests directions that don't make a lot of sense. It also forces me to keep looking at the infotainment screen while driving, which is very distracting.

I've also tried Apple Maps, but it isn't much better.

I'm so annoyed by this that I'm considering buying an external ナビ and having it installed above the infoinment screen, but I would prefer to avoid this ugly solution.

What apps or devices do you recommend? Do we have any news on whether the onboard navigation will ever work in Japan?

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I use 「Y!カーナビ」(Yahoo!) for Android. Functions like a normal nav. Not sure if it is available for iOS.

[edit] Looks like it is available for both Android and iOS.

Last edited:

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you don't want to have to rely on a mobile signal (i.e. have local, downloaded apps and just rely on GPS signal) I've found the Sygic app to work very well as an alternative to Google Maps or Waze - there's a free trial and a small annual subscription with worldwide maps included...

OP
JaviLM

JaviLM

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you don't want to have to rely on a mobile signal (i.e. have local, downloaded apps and just rely on GPS signal) I've found the Sygic app to work very well as an alternative to Google Maps or Waze - there's a free trial and a small annual subscription with worldwide maps included...
If this is an app running on the phone, won't it rely on the same mobile signal as Google Maps or Waze?

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In cases where I can't use data. I've found it helpful to use Google Maps and download offline maps in advance. This way you get navigation without data and the only thing you lose is real-time traffic info.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If this is an app running on the phone, won't it rely on the same mobile signal as Google Maps or Waze?
Not if you download local maps for countries needed whilst at home, which are updated monthly (for a small subscription). Just the GPS signal needed, of course though, as it would be with any GPS device whether phone-based or hardware-specific ....

OP
JaviLM

JaviLM

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not if you download local maps for countries needed whilst at home, which are updated monthly (for a small subscription). Just the GPS signal needed, of course though, as it would be with any GPS device whether phone-based or hardware-specific ....
But that's what I was referring to: the GPS signal. Data transfers in Japan are never a problem because coverage is excellent all over the country.

The issue is GPS: a cell phone's GPS is much less precise and is often unable to correctly place the car. This is why I was considering buying an standalone navigation unit with a built-in real GPS.

OP
JaviLM

JaviLM

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In cases where I can't use data. I've found it helpful to use Google Maps and download offline maps in advance. This way you get navigation without data and the only thing you lose is real-time traffic info.
It's not about not being able to use data. In my 22 years in Japan the only time I couldn't use data was shortly after the March 2011 earthquake, because cell towers were overloaded... and even then it only lasted for a short while.

It's about the GPS. The built-in GPS in cell phones is assisted by surrounding WiFi signals. It usually works fine in the city where triangulation is easy, but not so well in rural areas with no wireless networks around.

OP
JaviLM

JaviLM

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I use 「Y!カーナビ」(Yahoo!) for Android. Functions like a normal nav. Not sure if it is available for iOS.
Thanks a lot for this! Yesterday I had the chance to try both Waze and Yahoo!カーナビ.

Y!カーナビ is very similar to the built-in navigation in my previous Toyota, and the driving indications are perfect. It says things such as "in X meters take the left turn towars such-and-such" or "in x meters take the right turn towards X, then the left turn towards Y". This is helpful enough so I don't need to look at the infotainment screen while driving to check where I should be going.

While it still suffers from the phone's limited GPS, it's good enough for me. Again, thanks a lot!

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have also installed 「Y!カーナビ」on my iPhone, and I even made subscription for the “Premium” version (for extra Orbis speed trap info).

As far as I can see, this is a pure Japanese interface for both text input and voice navigation.

I am able to handle it; however I have also enjoyed multiple language (English/Japanese) on my two BMWs and also when using Google and Apple Maps.

It looks like there is no English language option on 「Y!カーナビ」- or am I missing something?

I will test 「Y!カーナビ」today since I have a reason to drive from Kodaira (West Tokyo) to Haneda Airport Terminal 2 - P4