Clutch gone at 16,000 miles. Not covered by Lotus - Don't panic!

Either way, none of us early Emira owners knew about this, the engine and gearbox having to be removed, so hopefully this is all good information and perhaps people can start budgeting for it as it will happen at some point if its driving like Miss Daisy.

Right.. now am looking at loads of Mods - going all in!
It shouldn’t really be a surprise. You mentioned Evoras and the clutch replacement time on them was originally >30 hours and the cost c£6k. That was in 2010. A couple of independants (closest to B&C being Hofmanns, although they were a main dealer then) got the times down and got the cost to c£3500 (2016 price). All told I was surprised that it was “only” £5k at B&C in 2026.

I had a manual Evora, clutch went at 45k despite sympathetic use. That was about average pre 400. Later clutches were upgraded and got retrofitted to earlier cars. It is part of the reason its replacement was an Evora 400IPS, although I loved that, so when getting the Emira I went straight for the V6IPS.
 
Id argue food is no longer cheaper in the US and houses are comparable to US Cities, given that the UK has a much more dense population.
 
I was quoted 12k for a clutch replacement and immediately decided I’d rather have an auto V6 even if it’s slightly slower just for the maintenance cost difference. Has made it difficult to find a car, but I will eventually.
You need to look beyond the 0-60 mph times, for which the V6 Auto’s launch control was NOT used.

In the all important, ‘real-world’ 49-74 mph band the V6 Auto turns out to be the fastest and the manual the slowest.

V6 Auto 2.6s
I4 360 3.1s
I4 400 3.1s
V6 M 3.3s
Source: Lotus product specs.
 
Last edited:
Id argue food is no longer cheaper in the US and houses are comparable to US Cities, given that the UK has a much more dense population.

I suppose it’s difficult to compare based on what parts of the UK and the U.S. are being compared. Big city to big city, you’re probably correct. Food and housing prices have accelerated absurdly.

Harder to say outside of major metropolitan areas like New York, Miami, LA., etc.
 
You need to look beyond the 0-60 mph times, for which the V6 Auto’s launch control was NOT used.

In the all important, ‘real-world’ 49-74 mph band the V6 Auto turns out to be the fastest and the manual the slowest.

V6 Auto 2.6s
I4 360 3.1s
I4 400 3.1s
V6 M 3.3s
Source: Lotus product specs.
Was unaware and didn’t mind having the slowest 0-60 for the sound and experience of the v6. But real world most of my hard acceleration is from 30 or 40 miles up to 70, so this is a great spec to know.
 
You need to look beyond the 0-60 mph times, for which the V6 Auto’s launch control was NOT used.

In the all important, ‘real-world’ 49-74 mph band the V6 Auto turns out to be the fastest and the manual the slowest.

V6 Auto 2.6s
I4 360 3.1s
I4 400 3.1s
V6 M 3.3s
Source: Lotus product specs.
Useful, I’ve been trying to find out the in gear times to back up why I believe the V6IPS to be a better drive than even the TSE.
 
I wouldn't underestimate the level of repeated abuse that clutch would have had when CarWow had it on a runway making a drag race video for the tinterweb...go figure.

As an earlier poster said, you could destroy a new clutch completely in an afternoon if you try hard enough... 400 horses is quite a lot.
Plus, that had clearly been slipping a lot once it got knackered, before it was pulled apart, so the required flywheel could have been avoided if it was fixed as soon as the slipping was noticed.
Engaging the clutch at WOT under any circumstances, is a massive life shortening exercise for a clutch...Do it regularly at your peril.
 
Last edited:
I watched most of the video and read these comments, are you leaving out that your car has been on Turo for a while? Has to be a ton of abuse from Turo users, not really fair to paint this issue on Lotus. Even the worlds tamest most reliable car would need a new clutch after a handful of Turo users doing clutch drops and burn outs.
 
ive done 22K miles in mine and most of these have been through central London, am i missing something ? my biting point is almost the same at 1K miles
 
I watched most of the video and read these comments, are you leaving out that your car has been on Turo for a while? Has to be a ton of abuse from Turo users, not really fair to paint this issue on Lotus. Even the worlds tamest most reliable car would need a new clutch after a handful of Turo users doing clutch drops and burn outs.
has it actually been on a rental site?
 
My clutch makes funky noises sometimes since day one.
As per Lotus "dont worry about it" :LOL:
It seems to be getting worse now at 36000km / 22000miles.. bite point still okay. We'll see how it plays out, wish me luck 🤣
 
The more I think about this ridiculous YouTube video the more angry I get- he is directly hurting resale values and the Lotus brand. If I was shopping for a car at the edge of my budget and I got the impression it would need an engine out clutch job every 16k miles I would run away from that car brand.
I think every one of us should fill his YouTube comments with the truth about his car being on Turo and CarWow tests to set the record straight.
I've always been one for free speech but this is definitely a time I hope Lotus thinks about the UK's defamation laws.
 
I think this is just one data point from extreme abuse of the car.
I don't think I've heard of anyone else having replaced a clutch on an Emira due to wear.

Anyone reading this replaced a worn clutch? Or anyone reading this have a good mileage on the car over the last few years and confirm you're on the original clutch?
 
Anyone reading this replaced a worn clutch? Or anyone reading this have a good mileage on the car over the last few years and confirm you're on the original clutch?
I have 22K on my car with no clutch issues. There must be owners with more mileage.
 
Its not really about mileage though is it. A car can have done 100K with 99% on motorways and hardly worn the clutch at all, but 10K car driven round London its entire life could be about to need a new one
Given this car seems to have had a hard life(to put it lightly) its likely to be at the extreme end of the "how its used" scale
 
The Turo bit I am fine with due to their reasons for hire. It is not Hertz/etc. However, who really knows. The Carwow drag race was the one that broke it Up till then it was fine in all gears under any acceleration.

The biggest factor in the clutch going is still me enjoying it. It is all on me regardless.
3 years... it did well.

[edit] meant to add.... most Emira owners, like me, will be new to the brand and will not realise that the clutch is a weak point. People who know Lotus cars will already know this.

This was all about info, as in all my Emira videos over 3 years. Drive it hard, clutch will go. Simple as that but people should at least be aware of this.
 
Last edited:
You can drive a car hard without abusing the clutch. The Emira clutch is the same as the 4xx series Evora and I’ve been an active member of the key lotus forums, specifically Evora focussed since 2012. I don’t actually know of anyone who has had a 4xx series Evora clutch go.
There were issues with some of the S1 Evoras resulting in design and parts upgrades and the original clutches often had a lifespan of c50k (miles)
Evoras are extremely reliable. Treat an Emira with respect and it will be too. Repeatedly slipping any clutch will have the same outcome.

Sorry, but this is self inflicted and to be expected IMHO. I don’t see this as a weakness exposed.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top