• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Checkout imminent, having doubts, used Vantage? Send help

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I received my checkout email today which means I need to make a decision on whether to move forward, or whether to get something other than the Emira.

I've tested and ruled out a number of competitors, F Type and AMG GT for example.
I drive a manual today and think I'd want to stick to manual.

But I drove an auto vantage recently and kind of liked it. I haven't driven a manual but the idea of a vantage manual does seem like it could be a lot of fun.

The Emira has a lot going for it, it would be brand new, it has much more modern tech, is cheaper and cheaper to run, and is probably the better looking car.

The Aston has more tech though, and is a more premium car. For £100k you can get one a couple of years old with sub 10,000 miles on it. Is it my ideal spec, maybe not, but it's been through a lot of depreciation already, so maybe I wouldn't lose as much money on it? I really don't know how to choose here.

Has anyone who has driven both for an extended period got any thoughts that might help me make a decision?

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I received my checkout email today which means I need to make a decision on whether to move forward, or whether to get something other than the Emira.

I've tested and ruled out a number of competitors, F Type and AMG GT for example.

But I drove an auto vantage recently and kind of liked it. I haven't driven a manual but the idea of a vantage manual does seem like it could be a lot of fun.

The Emira has a lot going for it, it would be brand new, it has much more modern tech, is cheaper and cheaper to run, and is probably the better looking car.

The Aston has more tech though, and is a more premium car. For £100k you can get one a couple of years old with sub 10,000 miles on it. Is it my ideal spec, maybe not, but it's been through a lot of depreciation already, so maybe I wouldn't lose as much money on it? I really don't know how to choose here.

Has anyone who has driven both for an extended period got any thoughts that might help me make a decision?
Had the same dilemma.

However, the test drive of the vantage left me a bit numb and whilst the vantage looks great, in my opinion, not a patch on the Emira. I’m fact, I genuinely don’t think there are many cars out there at any price bracket which look as good as the Emira!

The Aston interior was lacking too, felt very dated. You get a lot of car for your money with the a 2-3 year old vantage, but the Emira felt more engaging to me and more fun to drive. The vantage felt like a GT.

Also looked at an F type, R8 and 911.

Checkout was last week, and waiting delivery of the Emira :)

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I love AM and think they're beautiful. The one thing that has kept me away every single time I start to want one again is the cost of maintenance. I guess maybe if you're in the UK it isn't as bad?

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hey all,

@Joel Is your Emira manual or an auto?

OP
Joel

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What do you want this car to do for you?
I drive about 5000 miles a year, it is my only car though I have access to my partners cars which are more practical.

So it's a weekend car for going out to see friends or, wherever I need to go really.
I currently have a Mustang GT for comparison, either will be a step up!

Oh and I work from home so, not commuting daily in it

AndySXV

Reaction score
I drive about 5000 miles a year, it is my only car though I have access to my partners cars which are more practical.

So it's a weekend car for going out to see friends or, wherever I need to go really.
I currently have a Mustang GT for comparison, either will be a step up!

Oh and I work from home so, not commuting daily in it
Here’s my two’penneth! Cancel the Emira, go buy the Aston that has already taken the big 1st and 2nd year depreciation, go auto for ease of resale. Keep it 12 months or so then go swap it for a 12-18 month old Emira that has also depreciated (pretty sure they will) and all the niggles have been fixed. Ta’daaa!

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I love AM and think they're beautiful. The one thing that has kept me away every single time I start to want one again is the cost of maintenance. I guess maybe if you're in the UK it isn't as bad?
I ran a DB9 Volante for about 5 years...total cost of ownership was around £4k pa including depreciation, services, insurance the expensive and entirely unnecessary spark plug refresh and a more modern set of wheels. Very reliable, plush, stunningly beautiful and what a sound. Sorry I sold it now.

Beady

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
had the same dilemma a few weeks back.
Test the emira twice - sports and touring. also tested a 570 and Vantage.
The 570 was best by a mile but i am doing 5k p/a and over a couple of years that would wipe loads of value of the 570.
I bought a vantage - on a 68 plate so a little older than i was aiming for but one owner and under 3k miles on it so essentially like new and almost 55k under its price when new.
Bought from a main dealer so paid a little more than i could have but the AM warranty is comprehensive so no risk of arguments with aftermarket insurance backed warranties. Also got extended warranty for 2 yrs, which is cheaper to do at the time of purchase compared to renewing a yr later.
Finally note that most of the vantages came with a 5 yr service pack - mine has 1 free service left - so other than consumables i should get pretty much 2 yrs at super low running costs.
The handling is not as nimble as an emira. I come from 6 previous lotus (evora and elise) so i can feel the difference, but the overall performance (scarily fast), noise, looks and wow factor more than make up for it.
I suspect i will keep it for 2 yrs then look at again at used Emira
You do need to get used to the Auto though - the changes are pretty much instant. After 3 weeks I still miss the manual but still very happy with my choice. There are so few Manuals, i think resale could be a problem as the auto is so good.
IMG_4389.jpg

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I would say Emira all day every day. The older Vantage looked superb but the new headlights look so bad. The headlights make it look like a Nissan z. Big heavy car compared to Emira. Looks alone Emira. Life is to short to settle to save a few bucks of depreciation.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
One has to scratch an itch.
IF the Aston is a dream car then, even though I am likely the biggest Emira fanboy on the planet 🥴 , then I would get the Aston for anything from 6 months to 2 years.

The downside is that it WILL depreciate a bit, you will pay more for everything from parts and fuel and the Emira price might not have changed that much.

So, if you can deal with a short-term loss to achieve your dream, the 100% get the Aston , enjoy it and then move on to an Emira or something else.

teamvxracing

Reaction score
Here’s my two’penneth! Cancel the Emira, go buy the Aston that has already taken the big 1st and 2nd year depreciation, go auto for ease of resale. Keep it 12 months or so then go swap it for a 12-18 month old Emira that has also depreciated (pretty sure they will) and all the niggles have been fixed. Ta’daaa!
^^^^ this

Danny Symonds

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a V8 Vantage N400 roadster and have done only a few miles in my Emira.
I love the sound of the V8, and it’s manual, and drives lovely.
The Emira is not too dissimilar to drive.
However I reckon I will drive the Emira more than my Aston 👍😁

OP
Joel

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
After a lot of soul (and auto trader) searching, I've decided. I'm sticking with my Emira reservation and have completed the checkout!

Thanks for the thoughts folks, I may come back to the vantage at a later date, but for now, I'm excited to collect my Emira from Hethel next month 😁

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
After a lot of soul (and auto trader) searching, I've decided. I'm sticking with my Emira reservation and have completed the checkout!

Thanks for the thoughts folks, I may come back to the vantage at a later date, but for now, I'm excited to collect my Emira from Hethel next month 😁
Came to the same decision over the vantage and 911, and now can’t wait to get the car. Hopefully arriving in the next few weeks