• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Carfection video, first test...

DrNio13

Reaction score
a bit off topic...but when i saw this review i immediately thought...what happened to the Carwow guy? i was expecting his review with all the others.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The ease of driving the Emira has been talked about. Is it just me or does he look very comfortable driving this car at a moderate speed. Almost looks like he is driving through a parking lot. I have never been on an open track but I have watched a million videos and this just seems like piloting the car is effortless. Thoughts, opinions?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I
The ease of driving the Emira has been talked about. Is it just me or does he look very comfortable driving this car at a moderate speed. Almost looks like he is driving through a parking lot. I have never been on an open track but I have watched a million videos and this just seems like piloting the car is effortless. Thoughts, opinions?
I understand he is not going all out but it still seems very relaxed.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agreed, the car seems to reward the driver and generally have enough inherent feedback to allow really significant pace without undue driver effort and management of inputs. Compared to some cars in the same performance class, this absolutely looks like a winner in terms of the driver experience just based on the visual context clues. The same is true in the Top Gear road test video. They are flying down B roads in the wet and look quite relaxed behind the wheel doing so. That would not be strictly as true in a great many modern 'sports' cars.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
i don’t think it is unusual for Car companies to release a drivable prototype to journos!

Toyota did it with GR Yaris and the final production just blew everyone’s expectations out of the water! It’s a case of promise little, deliver lots!

For one, From the Carfection YouTube clip, I am now confident that Touring will be brilliant and the car will drive amazingly just I would expect a pedigree Lotus would. AND…. The shell backed seats looks way better than the blue show car! That’s all I need to know!
This is very true. The GR Yaris first broke cover in Dec 2019, when journalists were invited to Estoril where they were let loose on circuit in prototypes of both variants of the GRY. There were a few scathing reports from various journos, but Toyota fixed most, if not all shortcomings, before the production versions were delivered to customers. However, in that case the gap between initial exposure/review and delivery, which included a COVID-induced delay, was 10 months - first customer cars landed in the UK in October 2020. Mine was in the first batch to hit UK's shores along with all demo cars, so I had not seen one in the flesh or driven one until my car landed in the UK. However, one could cancel their order without penalty if one did not like the car for whatever reason which meant the risk was minimal. I didn't cancel, and don't think will ever part with it.

HC's feedback if not bad for a First Drive in a prototype. I am optimistic that Lotus will fix any shortcomings identified (or noted) thus far, or, judging by the fact that Top Gear have been provided with a production car (or one very close to it), fingers crossed, these shortcomings may have been addressed already.

I think the second Top Gear review will be pivotal. Wonder which gearbox and suspension setup will feature in that. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As an existing exige owner, I would say this… from what I have read and seen in these reviews, this car is going to be brilliant. Don’t lose your space in the line… the likely hood is you won’t lose money if you hate it such is the demand even before the proper reviews. And I have a good degree of confidence that you will love it.

Now, lotus are not covering themselves in glory on the communication front, I fully agree.. but it’s been said it feels like a lotus… that’s all I needed to know
Indeed. We know that the Emira will never be as raw as an Exige (or an Elise), but it is still a Lotus, and will drive like one, albeit one that is relatively easy to live with (e.g. long road trips, touring etc), which is a huge plus. I for one am looking forward to comparing the RGB and Emira, and I am expecting them to be like chalk and cheese, which would be exactly as expected! :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Agreed, the car seems to reward the driver and generally have enough inherent feedback to allow really significant pace without undue driver effort and management of inputs. Compared to some cars in the same performance class, this absolutely looks like a winner in terms of the driver experience just based on the visual context clues. The same is true in the Top Gear road test video. They are flying down B roads in the wet and look quite relaxed behind the wheel doing so. That would not be strictly as true in a great many modern 'sports' cars.
This is exactly the nature of Lotus ride and handling. It encourages and rewards being driven briskly and smoothly, taking advantage of the fantastic feeling of connectedness to the road through the steering. It's about flow. There are several shots of the car from head on in the TG video, both on road and on track, where you can see this.