• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Carfection video, first test...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It looks like Lotus gave the journalists a long list of what's not finalised on the car, which they've then majored on in their reviews. Why not give them a more up to date car, or even ... a production spec one?

In one of the other reviews Gav says VP007 has been busy doing ADAS testing so is about a month behind the current status of ride and handling tweaks. So why not give an up to date version to people to test drive? 😠

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It looks like Lotus gave the journalists a long list of what's not finalised on the car, which they've then majored on in their reviews. Why not give them a more up to date car, or even ... a production spec one?

In one of the other reviews Gav says VP007 has been busy doing ADAS testing so is about a month behind the current status of ride and handling tweaks. So why not give an up to date version to people to test drive? 😠
Yep no clue tbh. Very poor PR launch pad for a global car.

daveparky84

Reaction score
Proper reviews will come guys. I actually like seeing the car in this stage of development it's a view you hardly get to see on other cars. All adds to the cars story. And most importantly he looks super happy and excited driving it. Looking forward to seeing Chris getting it sideways around the entire track haha.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Proper reviews will come guys. I actually like seeing the car in this stage of development it's a view you hardly get to see on other cars. All adds to the cars story. And most importantly he looks super happy and excited driving it. Looking forward to seeing Chris getting it sideways around the entire track haha.

Agreed, and I think the 007 is Lotus making a point or giving a nod to its history. See yes, adds to the story.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agreed, and I think the 007 is Lotus making a point or giving a nod to its history. See yes, adds to the story.
Absolutely. A white Lotus with 007 on the side.

So far the pre-previews are very positive. There's a lot of excitement about his car, and from what Gavan said in another review, this particular car is about 4 months behind where they're currently at with builds. So if an Emira that's 4 months behind the current build is putting a smile on the face of someone who is used to driving cars significantly more expensive....the final production cars are going to be motoring magic.

daveparky84

Reaction score
Some great bullet points raised in the video.

"If there were any doubts about it being a proper lotus, you can forget them now"
"Its a Lotus, 100 percent"
"I think the Emira will be pretty brilliant"

Likely won't change in production cars:
• Visibility excellent (great view out side windows)
• Feels smaller than an Evora
• Cabin controls all really well placed
• Pedals feel and placement perfect
• Sport mode ESC dynamics control "unbelievable"
• Goodyear tyres great
• A "lot of grip in this car"
• Steering wheel feels a little too thick

Not final version yet. (likely to be improved over the prototype)
• UI on screens very good, will have faster response in final.
• Brakes fantastic
• Great sound
• Not final seats but great so far
• Track mode and 'all off' mode not tested properly yet
• Need to be be precise with Gearshift but really enjoyable to use
• Steering has a calmness and has a "lovely fluidity" but precise, great under braking.

Fit & Finish overall
• Very obviously a prototype in this regard so can ignore most of these points IMO but very promising.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Absolutely. A white Lotus with 007 on the side.
And the typeface for the wording is also the same as the Esprit:

lotus-esprit-emblem-0395bw-jill-reger.jpg

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a bit disappointing. Can’t really objectively take a lot away from that review. Brakes, suspension, sound, seats - all not final. This wasn’t a review of the car we’re going to get. On the plus side we can assume what we get will be better?

Another miss from Lotus but with the prospect of things to look forward to.

P.S.

Comments related to the reviews of prototypes and not the car itself.

Disappointing for someone who’s been waiting weeks to watch / read reviews of the Emira. Some reviewers even caveat their reviews with ‘review of the prototype Emira’. It’s fun to watch but it’s not what I was expecting.

And a miss in terms of not having a production car ready for review. What for example happened to the car Jenson drove that he was so enthused about? Was that just paid marketing? Surely it would have been possible, as this was a track only test, to have a close to spec model built just for the reviews.

This is why I’m disappointed. We have to wait another few months now - June from what I’m reading for an actual road review of a production spec Emira

Last edited:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well, lots of positives in this review - the car is clearly going to be great to drive - but like others I am deeply, deeply unimpressed that Lotus didn't have a production spec car ready at this very late stage. This tells me that Lotus have been very pushed for time in finishing development in order to hit the production schedule, and raises big concerns in my mind about whether those of us in the June batch will end up with a car which is still a work in progress and beset with quality niggles. What do others with an early production slot think about this?

I am now going to give serious consideration to seeing if I can slip down the queue by two or three months. I don't even know if that is possible without losing your place altogether?

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
i don’t think it is unusual for Car companies to release a drivable prototype to journos!

Toyota did it with GR Yaris and the final production just blew everyone’s expectations out of the water! It’s a case of promise little, deliver lots!

For one, From the Carfection YouTube clip, I am now confident that Touring will be brilliant and the car will drive amazingly just I would expect a pedigree Lotus would. AND…. The shell backed seats looks way better than the blue show car! That’s all I need to know!

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This is a validation prototype and its hitting all the right targets , especially dynamic performance.

Lotus have made an effort to share information, keep customers informed of progress. No more, no less. Simples.

daveparky84

Reaction score
Well, lots of positives in this review - the car is clearly going to be great to drive - but like others I am deeply, deeply unimpressed that Lotus didn't have a production spec car ready at this very late stage. This tells me that Lotus have been very pushed for time in finishing development in order to hit the production schedule, and raises big concerns in my mind about whether those of us in the June batch will end up with a car which is still a work in progress and beset with quality niggles. What do others with an early production slot think about this?

I am now going to give serious consideration to seeing if I can slip down the queue by two or three months. I don't even know if that is possible without losing your place altogether?

Can understand your feelings for sure. You could argue the first cars off the line will get more attention than later cars to make sure they get it perfect for the first batch. But I’m going to say you’ll likely feel a lot better when the production spec reviews come out in a month or so. Lotus have to get this right and I believe they will get it right from the very first car.

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Can understand your feelings for sure. You could argue the first cars off the line will get more attention than later cars to make sure they get it perfect for the first batch. But I’m going to say you’ll likely feel a lot better when the production spec reviews come out in a month or so. Lotus have to get this right and I believe they will get it right from the very first car.
I agree, I bought one of the first S2 Elise of the line and it has been brilliant from day one and still is. It has been driven on track by Lotus and other driver trainers they always comment how tight it is. Lotus cannot afford for this to go wrong so they will put a huge effort in getting the first one's right. I'm rather glad I'm high up the list!!! 🤞

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm glad it's a prototype still and Lotus on focussing massive on upgrading the quality of the vehicle. I'd be disappointed if from second to third the gear linkage was rubbish.
Some reviews mentioned the plastics on the dashboard were missing the grain but I thought the FEs had leather dashboards??

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm glad it's a prototype still and Lotus on focussing massive on upgrading the quality of the vehicle. I'd be disappointed if from second to third the gear linkage was rubbish.
Some reviews mentioned the plastics on the dashboard were missing the grain but I thought the FEs had leather dashboards??
Despite my criticism, I actually think the interior on this was a massive step up from the tour model in the reveals.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I was just going to 'no comment' this review. BUT I don't want to be a complete sour puss lol and there were a few positives, although in hindight im struggling to recall them. It hasn't really made me any more excited for the car however (I don't think Henry was genuinely too excited either) if anything I'm just apprehensive about the whole purchase.
Watching that video I didn't feel any of the 'New Lotus' vibes they are keen to portray. Wrongly or rightly it felt like reskinned Evora with a more comfortable new interior that should all be sorted by time customers take delivery (I'm sure it will). It doesn't help harking back to the Lotus Esprit at this point either, as it is looking backwards again and not forwards. So not cool in my opinion.