• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Carfection video, first test...

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I was just going to 'no comment' this review. BUT I don't want to be a complete sour puss lol and there were a few positives, although in hindight im struggling to recall them. It hasn't really made me any more excited for the car however (I don't think Henry was genuinely too excited either) if anything I'm just apprehensive about the whole purchase.
Watching that video I didn't feel any of the 'New Lotus' vibes they are keen to portray. Wrongly or rightly it felt like reskinned Evora with a more comfortable new interior that should all be sorted by time customers take delivery (I'm sure it will). It doesn't help harking back to the Lotus Esprit at this point either, as it is looking backwards again and not forwards. So not cool in my opinion.
Agreed and better articulated than my uncertain reaction to the video.

I wasn't "blown away" by it,and whilst I've always saw the car as stunning and beautiful,the inside and something else just hasn't had that wow factor that you'd have say in a similar priced second hand ferrari/mclaren.

Yes I know they are cheaper as they age and not new like the Emira,but the question is what would bring me more joy for this type of money.

The leaving thought from watching this is should I wait for a second hand emira ,years down the line,coming from an early adopter-its taken a lot say that.

Of course, I'll still probably receive my car in June and fall absolutely in love with it and totally contradict everything I just said.....

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just going to 'no comment' this review. BUT I don't want to be a complete sour puss lol and there were a few positives, although in hindight im struggling to recall them. It hasn't really made me any more excited for the car however (I don't think Henry was genuinely too excited either) if anything I'm just apprehensive about the whole purchase.
Watching that video I didn't feel any of the 'New Lotus' vibes they are keen to portray. Wrongly or rightly it felt like reskinned Evora with a more comfortable new interior that should all be sorted by time customers take delivery (I'm sure it will). It doesn't help harking back to the Lotus Esprit at this point either, as it is looking backwards again and not forwards. So not cool in my opinion.
I can understand your concerns......it come across as a revised, new body and re fettled Evora, wider track plus more engine and box options etc. But both the 911 and Caymen/Boxster iterations are just that....OK, the 911 now has Turbos and the engine is 32mm further forward and the interior build integrity has improved, but it's not really changed......sounds similar?

Guess that's automotive development for you, minimise capital and development costs but re-create demand.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I can understand your concerns......it come across as a revised, new body and re fettled Evora, wider track plus more engine and box options etc. But both the 911 and Caymen/Boxster iterations are just that....OK, the 911 now has Turbos and the engine is 32mm further forward and the interior build integrity has improved, but it's not really changed......sounds similar?

Guess that's automotive development for you, minimise capital and development costs but re-create demand.
Very good point-Porsche are still an evolution and origins of a VW Beetle 🤣

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yep , kind of get what you are saying.... I enjoyed the video, but was left feeling we need more. TG said it is dfferent in every diemenion.... Hennry ..... reskinned Evora.... not helpful :oops: ..... I undertstand why they wanted to get reiws out.... but am looking forward to part 2

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Look at how far the Porsche has come though in the last 14 years, be it in 987 or 997 form.
Basically as a new Lotus customer I don't want to be constantly reminded of Lotus's previous shortcomings and putting this development car out for general review 3 months away from delivering customer ready cars really hasn't helped.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Look at how far the Porsche has come though in the last 14 years, be it in 987 or 997 form.
Basically as a new Lotus customer I don't want to be constantly reminded of Lotus's previous shortcomings and putting this development car out for general review 3 months away from delivering customer ready cars really hasn't helped.
I'm sure if it was rubbish they'd have called out more areas where improvements were needed. Pistonheads said the car was superb - they also said the new GT3 was superb.

Lets not forget that the Emira looks gorgeous, a Cayman does not. There's going to be areas where the Cayman excels and the Lotus doesn't.
Be interesting to find out how many new orders Lotus are now adding due to the early reviews.

Good to see the touring chassis used and reviewers saying its good - rather than the sports.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm sure if it was rubbish they'd have called out more areas where improvements were needed. Pistonheads said the car was superb - they also said the new GT3 was superb.

Lets not forget that the Emira looks gorgeous, a Cayman does not. There's going to be areas where the Cayman excels and the Lotus doesn't.
Be interesting to find out how many new orders Lotus are now adding due to the early reviews.

Good to see the touring chassis used and reviewers saying its good - rather than the sports.
I haven't read Pistonheads yet. Obviously need to get my critical ass over there and get my mojo back 😁🥰

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As an existing exige owner, I would say this… from what I have read and seen in these reviews, this car is going to be brilliant. Don’t lose your space in the line… the likely hood is you won’t lose money if you hate it such is the demand even before the proper reviews. And I have a good degree of confidence that you will love it.

Now, lotus are not covering themselves in glory on the communication front, I fully agree.. but it’s been said it feels like a lotus… that’s all I needed to know

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Thats why I’m more eager to wait for the review of AMG version, a much different car to the V6 Manual by the looks of things. Not an “Old-friend” in the engine bay and none of the carried over quirks of the V6 drivetrain. The V6 manual has always been a limited run to satisfy the purists and nostalgic journos. I think the EMIRA had the AMG as primary design brief, especially the Asian/Chinese Market don’t even get the V6…..
Can’t imagine Geely would allow Lotus to sell a lesser version for their own market….. they surely will be keeping the best for their own turf

Last edited:

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well, lots of positives in this review - the car is clearly going to be great to drive - but like others I am deeply, deeply unimpressed that Lotus didn't have a production spec car ready at this very late stage. This tells me that Lotus have been very pushed for time in finishing development in order to hit the production schedule, and raises big concerns in my mind about whether those of us in the June batch will end up with a car which is still a work in progress and beset with quality niggles. What do others with an early production slot think about this?

I am now going to give serious consideration to seeing if I can slip down the queue by two or three months. I don't even know if that is possible without losing your place altogether?

Of course there will be issues with the early cars there always is even if they are only niggles, and I completely agree with you that we are this far in and no production cars, the worst part is that we are this far in and still after 8 months we can't see all the colours WTF I've gone for Seneca blue but will be fuming if I prefer nimbus or Magma once I finally see them.

Lotus have clearly released this under pressure to give us some sort of update and I suppose something is better than nothing. Will we ever be happy? Yes when we see all the colours all the pricing and finally a production car :-D

Positives......
It's a Lotus
It Handles well (We new that already)
Sounds good (We new that already)
Hollywood looks (Not a massive fan of the white no BP thou)

Overall still excited.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If we took a bright pink sharpie and covered all the things that were still not final with it we’d be hard pressed to fine a spot that isn’t pink.

I’d rather a skeleton heading around the track with a few weights added for the parts that are still TBD.

Picture a go-kart with that sticker job on it. Validation Prototype… Validating that we are still missing almost everything including a proper update.

#ForTheValidation

G

Guest142

I can't put my finger on it as to why ,but I'm not fulfilled after watching that,and starting to think for 80k I might enjoy something else more...

Is it just me?
These reviews have made my decision to buy this car exponentially more exciting! I am thrilled beyond belief and totally unable to contain my enthusiasm. Literally wish I bought two of them.

For Lotus to open up and have reviews of prototypes, pre-production cars, new manufacturing facilities, and do roadshows touring the car across the world so customers could see the car in person is unprecedented for a new model car. I feel like I'm part of the development process and they're taking feedback and making whatever adjustments they can real time. What automaker does that? Think about it...

Lotus is doing an amazing job when you step back and look at everything. I've been all in on the Emira since day one and today after these reviews I'm doubling down. This car is seriously like that.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
These reviews have made my decision to buy this car exponentially more exciting! I am thrilled beyond belief and totally unable to contain my enthusiasm. Literally wish I bought two of them.

For Lotus to open up and have reviews of prototypes, pre-production cars, new manufacturing facilities, and do roadshows touring the car across the world so customers could see the car in person is unprecedented for a new model car. I feel like I'm part of the development process and they're taking feedback and making whatever adjustments they can real time. What automaker does that? Think about it...

Lotus is doing an amazing job when you step back and look at everything. I've been all in on the Emira since day one and today after these reviews I'm doubling down. This car is seriously like that.
I agree they are confident that their validation model will impress and it has done - still taking feedback and improvements is a step change from what i hear of lotus of old.

The top gear one was a very exciting upbeat review and they didnt have to be positive about the car.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

I always wonder if I am crazy about some of the things I want. I want a Verdant Green or Lime Green to just baby and wash. Then I want a whatever color to just beat the hell of on the track. If I could afford two, I would do it.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

i think the majority of this forum would disagree that they are taking feedback - they do not communicate well enough to receive it.

I have also watched the Top Gear video now which reinstated my enthusiasm, maybe i wasnt getting what i hoped from the Carfection review

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They are taking the feedback; they just aren't saying much about it in response, so we're not getting the two-way communication that would normally happen in a conversation. They aren't conversing with us for the most part, and I think that's what frustrates people.

Everyone has to remember that Lotus is a business, and there are legal liabilities for things said, which is why there are always disclaimers. They're being cautious and keeping their cards close to their vest in that regard, but they're clearly focused on the car itself. It has to be great. If a 4 month old VP car can impress well-known journos who have seen and driven everything, that says something. Everybody's expectations for this car are super high, so Lotus has to deliver on that or it's all over, and they know that.

This car is going to be the best car they've ever designed and made, and as a sports car, it may be the best ICE sports car from the ICE era. Nothing is going to out-handle it, and it looks better than a lot of cars costing a lot more. I'm more exciting than ever now to get it. This is going to feel like a long year.

JKP

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Well, the most used word was prototype. Felt mostly like someone that thinks the car is ok but not something that has me now calling every hour to the dealership trying to know how soon mine will (or will not) arrive. 🥱
I agree. I detected zero excitement. What was attempted, wasn't believable.
I can't put my finger on it as to why ,but I'm not fulfilled after watching that,and starting to think for 80k I might enjoy something else more...

Is it just me?
Its not just you.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I agree. I detected zero excitement. What was attempted, wasn't believable.
Maybe you haven't spent enough time around Brits. That was literally him being positive.

The emotional range that's considered "polite" among the English is about 1/10th of what we use in normal daily interactions in the US. They generally find us alarming.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Maybe you haven't spent enough time around Brits. That was literally him being positive.

The emotional range that's considered "polite" among the English is about 1/10th of what we use in normal daily interactions in the US. They generally find us alarming.
Analogy: Sport versus Touring setup.

daniel heald

Reaction score
i think the majority of this forum would disagree that they are taking feedback - they do not communicate well enough to receive it.

I have also watched the Top Gear video now which reinstated my enthusiasm, maybe i wasnt getting what i hoped from the Carfection review
Analogy: Sport versus Touring setup.
Ahh, expectations , it is our expectations that make these reviews less than desired by each of us. If we started with a beginners mind then the value of these videos would be appreciated. The journos can only say looking good with caveats for the car being a prototype. They can only give a real review when the final car comes out.

Practically Lotus allowed these drives two weeks back. The Emira production line started this week. I fail too understand how a journo could have driven a final production car. There are promises of full reviews in a month. Good.

For me yes I would have loved the final production car to be reviewd and I do see the progression here. Lotus are on a plan and they are delivering on that plan.

Year ago I seem to recall the late and great LJK Setright driving an early prototype Pontiac Fiero. He was very positive and then the car came out and well, underwhelming springs to mind.

I really look forward to driving the Emira. Here in Vancouver we have not even had the "dealer wine and cheese night" introduction of the car so I am gratefull for what I have got. I see little value begrudging my expectatuon not being met.

Simply it comes down to.

It is all in the mind and whoose mind is it in?