Canadian Emira preorders build, delivery dates, & updates thread

I thought I would start a thread just for us Canuck forum members so that we can also feel cool. 😎

This afternoon I received the following email from my local Calgary dealer. Overall, it's the same core message as the other Lotus emails that have been doing the rounds lately, but it's nice to see this one was written in the dealership's own words, and includes special mention about demo cars and test drives, "hopefully before the snow flies". Also, in my opinion this email seems to be less mealy-mouthed overall than the one from Lotus, for whatever that's worth...

In any case, it's at least exciting to have the arrival of demo cars & test drives to look forward to this fall! Heck, even seeing an Emira in the flesh finally would be awesome, as I don't even think any Canadian dealers have been paid a visit from the Shadow Grey prototype yet?

photo_2022-08-11_13-21-12.jpg

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Question for all the Canadian F/E depositors... Has your dealerships told you if you are exempt from the new luxury tax on cars over 100K? Or because it was order in 2021 it is exempt? Have not got a clear answer.

OP
eriegz

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Question for all the Canadian F/E depositors... Has your dealerships told you if you are exempt from the new luxury tax on cars over 100K? Or because it was order in 2021 it is exempt? Have not got a clear answer.
Semi-related, but when I put down my deposit for the C8 Z06 in October of last year, the dealership did specifically give me a heads-up that my purchase would have said luxury tax applied to it by the time it arrived. So, it seems me ordering that car in 2021 did not exempt me from having that future tax levied against the vehicle when it arrives.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The simple answer is that I have not been told about the luxury tax by my dealership at all. According to the tax law, the dealership pays the luxury tax when importing and selling an automobile. The dealership then passes that cost on to the purchaser. Since I haven’t actually paid the total cost of the car yet I can definitely expect to have the luxury tax added to the final sale price. It won’t be a surprise. Que Sera Sera!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Reason I ask is because of this clause

"The luxury tax will not apply to the sale of a subject vehicle priced above the price threshold where a purchaser and a vendor have entered into a written agreement for the sale of the subject vehicle before 2022 in the course of the vendor’s business of selling subject vehicles."

Keep each other posted on how this goes forward into 2023.

From this source ;

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...elect-luxury-items-tax-act.html#_Toc109143345

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

"The luxury tax will not apply to the sale of a subject vehicle priced above the price threshold where a purchaser and a vendor have entered into a written agreement for the sale of the subject vehicle before 2022 in the course of the vendor’s business of selling subject vehicles."

From this source ;

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...elect-luxury-items-tax-act.html#_Toc109143345
That’s interesting. Damn laws and taxes. Time will tell how it all shakes out. Has the day come where we need to hire a lawyer to purchase a car? Take care.

OP
eriegz

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

From this source ;

But has anybody technically entered into a "written agreement for the sale" of an Emira yet? Or just deposits and preorders?

chooch13

Reaction score
But has anybody technically entered into a "written agreement for the sale" of an Emira yet? Or just deposits and preorders?

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that every Emira will be hit with the new luxury tax. Since they have now officially added the "written agreement" part, that should mean the actual final bill of sale (which no one has yet).

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that every Emira will be hit with the new luxury tax. Since they have now officially added the "written agreement" part, that should mean the actual final bill of sale (which no one has yet).
I talked with a fiscal expert, every FE emira will be hit by the tax. You need a written agreement regarding the sale of the car, deposit does not count as sale.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My paperwork states “Bill of Sale” at the top, the $$$ amount under a line labeled “Deposit”, and a hand written note saying “Lotus Emira Special Order”. It’s all guesswork and speculation at this point.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
fair enough, just wondering as the definition is broad. Is a written agreement a final sale?

By entering into this Agreement, you hereby confirm that you wish to pre-order the Snowmobile indicated in the Pre-Order Form. You enter this Agreement when (1) you submit the Pre- Order Form and (2) we receive your Deposit (the “Effective Date”). You agree that this payment constitutes acceptance of this Agreement, and you agree to review and read this Agreement prior to accepting the Agreement.

This is an example of a written pre-order agreement.

But if you guys have looked into this already I will let it go.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My paperwork states “Bill of Sale” at the top, the $$$ amount under a line labeled “Deposit”, and a hand written note saying “Lotus Emira Special Order”. It’s all guesswork and speculation at this point.
Mine does as well.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Confirmed from multiple friends deliveries that the Luxury tax does not apply if you have made a deposit and signed any agreement before Jan 1 2022. - So technically any Emira deposits done before that date should be Lux tax free... Good news for most of us I hope! This comes from a few different brands/dealers as well.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Confirmed from multiple friends deliveries that the Luxury tax does not apply if you have made a deposit and signed any agreement before Jan 1 2022. - So technically any Emira deposits done before that date should be Lux tax free... Good news for most of us I hope! This comes from a few different brands/dealers as well.
That is great news for me as a Canuck. However, I hope at least one of those friends was a lawyer as I don’t want to see that “Murphy” guy in my rear view mirror with a tax bill for me! Thx for the news.

Type131

Reaction score
That is great news for me as a Canuck. However, I hope at least one of those friends was a lawyer as I don’t want to see that “Murphy” guy in my rear view mirror with a tax bill for me! Thx for the news.
I have a FE allocation from
Grand Touring in Calgary and asked them about how the new lux tax would affect the price a few months back. I was told by Eric that it would apply to the Emira despite the early deposit (7/8/2021). Still, there is hope that he wasn’t aware of this exception.
:(

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here is the actually Law, If any lawyers are around or family members love to hear their interpretation;

To me it's pretty clear. Like I said I know of two deliveries that did not pay Lux tax because of this at different dealers.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Grand Touring in Calgary and asked them about how the new lux tax would affect the price a few months back. I was told by Eric that it would apply to the Emira despite the early deposit (7/8/2021). Still, there is hope that he wasn’t aware of this exception.
I would suggest reaching out to Eric, as you entered into an agreement in 2021 to clarify.

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My deposit is with Gentry in Toronto but even though my deposit was slightly earlier than yours (6/26/2021) they said I won’t get an FE and that the luxury tax would probably apply. So who really knows? 🤷‍♂️ It’s in the hands of fate. Since it’s early days for the luxury tax maybe something will change on that front since we’re having to wait another year for delivery. 🤞 We’ll hope for better news to come on all fronts.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My deposit is with Gentry in Toronto but even though my deposit was slightly earlier than yours (6/26/2021) they said I won’t get an FE and that the luxury tax would probably apply. So who really knows? 🤷‍♂️ It’s in the hands of fate. Since it’s early days for the luxury tax maybe something will change on that front since we’re having to wait another year for delivery. 🤞 We’ll hope for better news to come on all fronts.
The first edition/version of the Lux tax was suppose to come into effect on Jan 1 2022, but was delayed. At that point it was only agreements prior to April 1 2021 that would be exempt from paying. This has since changed to be any agreement in all of 2021. Perhaps this is where the confusion is?

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The first edition/version of the Lux tax was suppose to come into effect on Jan 1 2022, but was delayed. At that point it was only agreements prior to April 1 2021 that would be exempt from paying. This has since changed to be any agreement in all of 2021. Perhaps this is where the confusion is?
No lux tax and a FE delivered in time for the summer of 2023 driving season would be great. One can dream!

OP
eriegz

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nice to meet another (future) Calgary Emira owner! :) When did you make your deposit and which position are you? I made my deposit with Lotus Calgary the day after the reveal and I think Eric told me I was in position #7 last year.