Can the Emira be PPF treated?

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Never had a car with PPF before but am planning. However I’m not at all sure how it can be treated with all the curved air ducts etc. I can’t imagine how a single film would be able to fit. Would it end up with a bunch of cut lines?

Anyone with expertise, please chime in.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm sure it'll be feasible. I use these folks and they've done some complex and exotic shapes:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Typically good PPF installers will have "templates" (not sure of the correct term) from the car makers themselves. That allows their machines to cut them to exactly the right shape. The curves won't be an issue if they have the template. This is how it was explained to me by a PPF installer. Avoid cheap shops, this should cost upwards of several thousand to PPF correctly. I will wrap and ceramic coat mine for sure.

OP
P

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Typically good PPF installers will have "templates" (not sure of the correct term) from the car makers themselves. That allows their machines to cut them to exactly the right shape. The curves won't be an issue if they have the template. This is how it was explained to me by a PPF installer. Avoid cheap shops, this should cost upwards of several thousand to PPF correctly. I will wrap and ceramic coat mine for sure.
I understand templates but that still just cuts from a single sheet. I’m just not picturing how a 2d piece of film is going to cover a curved Inlet like the rear fender. Templates are designed to make cutting on paint unnecessary, but I’m still not seeing how they can defeat the laws of geometry.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
PPF stretches. So an installer with a template can cut the optimal pieces to fit/stretch on the car while minimizing seams. The stretch characteristic allows it to be "more" 3d.

OP
P

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
PPF stretches. So an installer with a template can cut the optimal pieces to fit/stretch on the car while minimizing seams. The stretch characteristic allows it to be "more" 3d.

Ah, so hopefully they can hide a seam at the top of the arch then. Ok, well I'll wait to see and search out a top notch installer when the time comes.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The good installers know how to size the templates and work with the stretch and flex of the film to cover complex curves and place the cuts so they are hidden into panel joins or under edges. Some will remove or loosen panels to hide the edges underneath. It’s worth paying for a professional installation.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The good installers know how to size the templates and work with the stretch and flex of the film to cover complex curves and place the cuts so they are hidden into panel joins or under edges. Some will remove or loosen panels to hide the edges underneath. It’s worth paying for a professional installation.
As you say Tom, good installers are worth the extra money. My only concern, if panels have to be removed or loosened, could this possibly have a potential issue with regards to warranty?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Very unlikely it would affect warranty unless the installer made a major mistake, such as failing to tighten a fixing and the fastener worked loose resulting in the panel falling off or being damaged. Or a parking sensor stopped working because they'd removed and reinstalled the bumper badly. But in those scenarios you'd be pursuing that with the installer.

My installer handles far more exotic and valuable cars than mine. They usually work subcontracted from my dealer or the installer collecting from the dealer and returning to them. I guess if you were concerned you could ask your dealer to take responsibility or supervise the installer, or ask them to do it without moving panels.

In my experience the PPF installers usually work the film up to 1-2mm short of the edge (eg a door handle) if they can't tuck it under (eg a wheel arch). Whereas the vinyl wrappers work 1-2mm over the edge so the underlying colour is fully covered (if you're doing a full colour change).