❔ QUESTION Emira Paint Protection: PPF, Ceramic Coat or Both?

J600net

Reaction score
It won't let me search for PPF due to the min char length on the search, so apoligies if this topic has been done to death.

I want to keep my Emira looking pristine, I have had ceramic coating done on previous cars which looked amazing for a short while, but I'm not 100% convinced it actually protected my paint so well. Felt more like a really good polish and wax :)

With the Emira, I want it properly detailed and will no doubt get a ceramic coat, but I'm tempted to extend that to PPF.

Now, my questions regarding PPF (never having had paint protecfion film) are this:

1. Is PPF much better than a ceramic coat
2. If you get PPF is ceramic coat not needed
3. If getting PPF would PPF on top of the ceramic coat be wise

Anyone done any of the above?? Would welcome feedback.

Ps. Long shot, can you recommend anyone for the above (I'm Teesside, North East UK)

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
PPF and ceramic serve two different purposes. PPF is a clear film that protects the paint from rock chips, swirls, getting keyed, etc. A ceramic coating is just a hardened, hydrophobic layer on the paint that will keep it slick and easier to clean, but it does almost nothing to "protect" the paint.

1. Can't answer because they're two different products for two different purposes.
2. That's personal preference.
3. No, but if you do both you'd want to get ceramic on top of the PPF. Doing it in reverse doesn't make sense and the PPF probably wouldn't adhere well.

Hope this helps!

SONOFEMERY

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'd say if you don't mind the cost too much, go PPF. If you're like me and like to baby your cars, PPF just provides peace of mind. Also most PPF's have self-healing polymer top layer that literally makes small scratches vanish when heated (or when sitting under direct sunlight, for instance). Try to get XPEL brand PPF if possible. 3M makes good stuff too. There's probably others but I don't know about them.

Having said that, my preference is to do a paint correction, apply PPF, THEN ceramic coat over the PPF. This gives you the protection benefits of PPF AND the added slickness and hydrophobic properties of a ceramic coat.

Note that you should definitely not apply ceramic coats under the PPF. Only put ceramic coat on the paint if you plan NOT to do PPF. Adding ceramic coat on top of PPF is fine.

Also note that you can choose to PPF or ceramic coat wheels too. I personally like to do this but I am a touch OCD. If PPF on wheels is a bit too much for you, I would recommend that you get a ceramic coat on them, especially considering the Emira uses steel rotors which give off a ton of brake dust and iron. Ceramic coating the wheels will make them way easier to clean. I also ceramic coat calipers but again I'm nuts.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm planning on getting PPF plus ceramic on mine when it eventually arrives. Would be the first time I've got a car PPFed so can't comment on installers in the NE.

With no Lotus dealer in the NE I've been in touch with Topaz in Leeds who I'm thinking of going with in part because if I decide to go for dealer collection they've said they'd be able to pick up the car from JCT600 in Bradford in a covered trailer. As part of the conversation they commented that 90% of their customers get ceramic done as well as PPF (but probably not too surprising given some of the cars they deal with)

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It won't let me search for PPF due to the min char length on the search, so apoligies if this topic has been done to death.
For reference, here is the previous thread.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There's a place by me that's going to do a track pack (high impact areas) of PPF in STEK DYNOShiled and then a ceramic coat of GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra over the rest of the car. You can get ceramic over the PPF but imo it makes the PPF look streaky.

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I had the PPF done on the car pre-delivery, the place that did it was now using a newer PPF that came with a ceramic layer on the PPF itself and they subsequently talked me out of doing the separate ceramic coat over the PPF - which is what I had originally intended.
So while you can get a ceramic coat put on top of the PPF (and it does appear to be a different coating to that which goes directly on the paint), the newer film options would appear to make it redundant as they come with with it. In my case you can see the water bead and roll off and so far "Bird Poop" etc has just wiped off.
Sorry can't offer the name of the film used but can enquire

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Pre-treated ceramic coated PPF is something fairly new. Many just add the ceramic to the film. There is no difference in ceramic coating products used on ppf and paint that I'm aware of. All should be ppf safe.
Ceramic coatings have a lot of hype surrounding them. The ultimate protection for any car is 100% ppf. A ceramic coating will help with hypophibicity, can help protect against certain chemicals, may help repel dust, make washing easier and MAY help reduce light swirl marks. It will not protect against scratches and chips. Ceramic coatings also must be maintained. It's not a "set it and forget it" type product. You still must wash your car regularly.

OP
J

J600net

Reaction score
When I had the PPF done on the car pre-delivery, the place that did it was now using a newer PPF that came with a ceramic layer on the PPF itself and they subsequently talked me out of doing the separate ceramic coat over the PPF - which is what I had originally intended.
So while you can get a ceramic coat put on top of the PPF (and it does appear to be a different coating to that which goes directly on the paint), the newer film options would appear to make it redundant as they come with with it. In my case you can see the water bead and roll off and so far "Bird Poop" etc has just wiped off.
Sorry can't offer the name of the film used but can enquire
Someone in the Facebook group mentioned one called XPEL Fusion which apparently does both

PeteH

Reaction score

I want to keep my Emira looking pristine, I have had ceramic coating done on previous cars which looked amazing for a short while, but I'm not 100% convinced it actually protected my paint so well. Felt more like a really good polish and wax :)

With the Emira, I want it properly detailed and will no doubt get a ceramic coat, but I'm tempted to extend that to PPF.

Now, my questions regarding PPF (never having had paint protecfion film) are this:

1. Is PPF much better than a ceramic coat
2. If you get PPF is ceramic coat not needed
3. If getting PPF would PPF on top of the ceramic coat be wise

Anyone done any of the above?? Would welcome feedback.

Ps. Long shot, can you recommend anyone for the above (I'm Teesside, North East UK)
I have had my Emira fully PPF’d with Expel Ultimate Fusion. Very pleased with the results.

OP
J

J600net

Reaction score
I have had my Emira fully PPF’d with Expel Ultimate Fusion. Very pleased with the results.
Got any pics? I'm just about to get mine booked in for full PPF, the installer has recommended I order a new set of L O T U S lettering badges, did they do that with yours? (I saw a youtube video where someone wrapped straight over the lettering)

ps. how did they go around the first edition badge above the rear quarter; wrap that separately or straight over it all as part of the panel?

PeteH

Reaction score
I had all silver lettering and badges removed and replaced with black lettering and silver / black badges. All were removed before PPF was applied.

Attachments

• IMG_8905.jpeg
    IMG_8905.jpeg
    640.1 KB · Views: 45

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I had all silver lettering and badges removed and replaced with black lettering and silver / black badges. All were removed before PPF was applied.
Do you have any pictures of the rear? Where did you get your replacement badges?

OP
J

J600net

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the rear? Where did you get your replacement badges?
I've just ordered some replacement badges from the parts team at Lotus Essex Colchester (Jordan) ahead of getting my ppf done

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Full PPF except the black inlets and outlets to the rear wheel arch. Front and side badges removed prior to application. I wasn't invoiced for "LOTUS" lettering, so assuming they reused the originals with new adhesives.
PXL_20231116_060459480.jpg PXL_20231116_060528635.jpg

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Anybody have a rough cost on what they paid for PPF? I know the US will be different but trying to get a ballpark.