Break in Oil Change?

showtime

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
By a show of hands - who is getting a 1000 - 1500 mile oil change done? No suggestion of it in the book (*cough* PDF *cough") but sems like probably the right thing to do. Would love your take!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm doing mine at about 600 miles. Then again at 5k, and every 5k thereafter.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Definitely will do a 1000 mile oil change. While in there also replace the stamped oil pan with a moroso with baffles
I'm interested to hear how your install goes with the Moroso. Hope the clearances and fitment are easy!

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I ALWAYS do an early oil change for a new vehicle, despite assertions the modern motor is run for ++ hours to remove the "metal edges", before being installed in the vehicle. I follow the "rule" that an oil/filter change is the cheapest and most effective means of getting more life out of a vehicle's most expensive component, so I see it as a worthwhile "investment".

There are 2 sides to this argument and very adamant opinions on either side, so it boils down to a matter of preference and what worries you...

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
despite assertions the modern motor is run for ++ hours to remove the "metal edges", before being installed in the vehicle.
Absolutely zero mass production auto manufacturers do this. It's not a thing. I have no idea where this story came from, or why it seems so persistently "sticky" in people's memory. There's no such thing as factory break-in on any mass produced engine.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Facts. 600 miles will have the bulk of break in wear.
I'm also installing a magnetic drain plug when I do the first oil change, that will hopefully catch/gather anything that might be left behind in the pan. We'll see what it looks like on change #2. I'm also sending oil off from each change for analysis.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Definitely doing myself no later than 1k miles. Good time to check everything else out while got under panels off. Every 12 months after that regardless of miles always do 5k intervals if sooner.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
100% yes... if you intend to keep this car for any length of time and/or you have any shred of mechanical sympathy, I can't see why you wouldn't. Oil cheap, engine less-cheap.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I would hope the oil filter does it's job and catches any significant "contaminants" from break-in, but I still plan on doing an early oil change

OP
S

showtime

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks all. I called my dealer and they could not give me a price for it, but I am scheduled....

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'll be doing a change at 1,000. I am thinking of sending off for an oil analysis as well.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I ALWAYS do an early oil change for a new vehicle, despite assertions the modern motor is run for ++ hours to remove the "metal edges", before being installed in the vehicle. I follow the "rule" that an oil/filter change is the cheapest and most effective means of getting more life out of a vehicle's most expensive component, so I see it as a worthwhile "investment".

There are 2 sides to this argument and very adamant opinions on either side, so it boils down to a matter of preference and what worries you...

The facts are a 2GR-FE are not run in at all.

Oil analysis on brand new 2GR-FEs show they are not.

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Absolutely zero mass production auto manufacturers do this. It's not a thing. I have no idea where this story came from, or why it seems so persistently "sticky" in people's memory. There's no such thing as factory break-in on any mass produced engine.
Thanks for that insight Porter. I was a frequent user of several Corvette C8 Forums and my information about factory engine break-in, came from there. It appears I stand corrected:

Some dealerships continue to say the factory breaks-in the engine, making early oil/filter changes unnecessary, however this won't be the first time dealerships had no clue.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Can you imagine the logistics of building, testing, and running in every single engine in a mass produced consumer focused car like the 2GR-FE? The internet is full of nonsense :D

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
100% yes... if you intend to keep this car for any length of time and/or you have any shred of mechanical sympathy, I can't see why you wouldn't. Oil cheap, engine less-cheap.
'Mechanical sympathy.' I like that.
Adds to my machine Affinity.
That explains car guy bonding.

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
First change at 1000 miles.
Then annually thereafter for me as I don't put much mileage on them.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Some dealerships continue to say the factory breaks-in the engine, making early oil/filter changes unnecessary, however this won't be the first time dealerships had no clue.
They are literally just bullshitting as a way to respond to buyers questioning why the first specified oil change interval is 10K. People are rightly skeptical, because it doesn't withstand basic common sense.

The real answer, which is, "the manufacturer wants to lease these to low-information consumers and replace them rapidly to keep their earnings up, therefore they only need it to last through the warranty period," is not something that would build confidence in the new car showroom. 😎