First Oil Change Service???

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Dealer isn't recommending a first oil change after the "run-in" first 1000 miles saying we should be good for once a year (assuming not more than 5,000 miles in that year). Does anyone know if factory recommends anything different? I have to assume there are shavings and such in there after the break in, but don't feel like spending $600 for a first service if it is truly unnecessary. Looking forward to hearing all opinions and recommendations...

(Also, this car really is pretty spectacular to drive as a daily. It's about as comfortable and practical as you could expect for a car that gets supercar attention... and it feels special to drive. So far, very much worth the 3 years I waited...)

Same, I will do my own at 1k, but that's also because I want a used-oil-analysis data point just after break-in. If I could not DIY, I would find a reasonably priced dealer or independent to do it for me at 1k or 2k miles. In (my) theory, nothing wrong with waiting for 3-4k in terms of being "generally responsible" with your engine if you don't drive it in anger, but from what I understand this 8-10k nonsense from manufacturers was simply this:

By stretching first-service to 10k, the manufacturer gets to lower their environmental impact projections for what the car does to the planet and either saves them fees or helps with certifications. Someone prove me wrong if this is baseless hear-say, but when BMW extended their intervals there was nothing technical about it. And it's a relatively safe bet for the manufacturer that running 10k intervals will not cause a problem (....pause for effect....) within the warranty period. But that's not my definition of acceptable or responsible.

I ended up buying the service/maintenance package from the dealer. They are including the 1k change and suggesting 7500 miles or 1yr oil changes after that.

I ended up buying the service/maintenance package from the dealer. They are including the 1k change and suggesting 7500 miles or 1yr oil changes after that.
which dealer?

I asked my dealer about this when I brought it in with 1,100 miles to do an alignment.
I was told that the factory has told them that it's unnecessary. I'm trusting the engineers on this one and saving myself a few hundred bucks.

Boardwalk. I know oil changes are 400ish, but they told me the 1k mile service is more. I think somewhere around 800?

I asked my dealer about this when I brought it in with 1,100 miles to do an alignment.
I was told that the factory has told them that it's unnecessary. I'm trusting the engineers on this one and saving myself a few hundred bucks.
The engineers aren't the ones communicating this.

An engineer would have you using a break in oil and a specific procedure to break in the engine.

A mixture of non engineering factors including the inability for the customer to follow instructions have lead to the recommendation of keeping a synthetic extended change oil in your car for 10,000 miles with a bunch of break in metals floating around in the oil and in your filter.

An engineer would have you using a break in oil and a specific procedure to break in the engine.

A mixture of non engineering factors including the inability for the customer to follow instructions have lead to the recommendation of keeping a synthetic extended change oil in your car for 10,000 miles with a bunch of break in metals floating around in the oil and in your filter.
100% agree. That, and the European regulators who see every oil change as a pollution event and have worked the oil change frequency into their calculation for emissions compliance.

Did mine myself at 700 miles and will again at 3-5k, then every 5k after that. I'm somewhat OCD and avoid the dealer or anyone else working on my cars as much as possible. Plus it can be satisfying, cheaper, and more convenient to not have to make an appointment and drive to the dealer.

Since I have to tear down the car to do the sills, would it be wise to just change the oil on day one? I saw the report here that said the oil it came with had poor viscosity. I figure while I'm doing it I can put in the magnetic plug and keep some of the metal out of circulation.

Hmmm, lets see...I am going to listen to Lotus or some guys on a forum. Tough one.

Feel free to talk to any engine builder if you need authority to win arguments for you.
I typically do all my break in oil changes at 1000 miles then 3 to 5k ,depending on how I drove it .... # of canyon driving vs track days , etc ... car manufacturers have built in obsolescence of their vehicles in mind.... n other factors not mentioned 😒
Also the satisfaction of doing an oil change on your own for $130 correctly vs a stealer charging $900 ( in the case for my huracan ) is priceless imo....

This oil thing is always a crazy topic of contention on any forum. In today’s age is there ANY oil that requires you to change it every 1000 miles? (Assuming no track days etc). Most oils say they are good for 7,10k or even more miles! You would think if oil manufacturers want more business they can lower that number but it’s not necessary.

I changed my oil at 1000k. Why? Because it made me comfortable. Is it required? No. It’s cheap insurance on a 100,000 car!! It also allows me (or the dealer) to make sure everything else on the car is fine.

What’s a few hundred bucks to have the dealer do it? (Or DIY) Notice how I said a few hundred bucks.. not the highway robbery of places charging 1k for it.

Hmmm, lets see...I am going to listen to Lotus or some guys on a forum. Tough one.
Ah yes, the old "If people are on the internet they must be ignorant rubes" game. This ain't Facebook, friend.

Look, do what you want to do. Nobody is giving you instructions. If you want to go 10k miles between oil changes, and keep the full 10k interval for the first change on a low viscosity oil that's already full of metals at 800 miles, you go right ahead. 👏

Back