a car 'For the gap', inviting suggestions

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I have another one for you, seems logical to me and seeing how you dont have a garage an all.....

the start of the video is a bit....werid, but well...
A very sad attempt to replicate Throttle House intro.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I also own a ‘20 ZLE 6sp manual. It’s a totally nuts car - every time I drive it I think to myself ‘I can’t believe they sell this car straight off the show room floor!!’

I totally love mine, but would NOT recommend the ZL1 1LE for everyday street use. The suspension is too brutal (and the full race GY SC3R tires are terrible for street). The standard ZL1 is a much better choice for street (and WAY easier to find/buy).

She’s a bad bad girl though 😎
Sounds like the kinda girl that would get me in trouble.....

OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So I have another one for you, seems logical to me and seeing how you dont have a garage an all.....

the start of the video is a bit....werid, but well...
yeah, may be, but I want it in DV and they're only doing white so...

Pbaj46

Reaction score
I'm expecting to be told it'll be October at the earliest before my Emira arrvies. Not wanting to waste the little sunshine these isles get I'm thinking to get a gap car, something that will not loose value over 6 months (even with pending rate hikes!) and be fun to drive. It'd be a cash purchase, and ideally no more than 50k, and possibly considerably less.

Inviting suggestions! The key criteria is it must be fun, manual box, and hold its value. Totally open to ideas, bonkers to sane and anything between.

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
- 997 of some description, although I wonder if these have topped out
- just some old banger that'll be fun enough, an old Alfa spider or something like that
I just got a gr86 as I wait for my Emira! So far it’s been loads of fun

Zardoz

Reaction score
2010 BMW 1M. I have one of these. 450 imported to UK I think. Drive, enjoy & sell it for what you paid for it. BUT, It is so good you might not sell it

Attachments

• 1M pix 1.jpg
    1M pix 1.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
2010 BMW 1M. I have one of these. 450 imported to UK I think. Drive, enjoy & sell it for what you paid for it. BUT, It is so good you might not sell it
trying to think what's keeping me away from options like the M1, even though I know they're brilliant. Thinking about it, it's that I want a 2 seater. I already have 3 cars with 4-7 seats on the driveway. Another 4 seater doesn't feel right, it's got to be small and that's leaning me towards a Mx-5...

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
trying to think what's keeping me away from options like the M1, even though I know they're brilliant. Thinking about it, it's that I want a 2 seater. I already have 3 cars with 4-7 seats on the driveway. Another 4 seater doesn't feel right, it's got to be small and that's leaning me towards a Mx-5...
Just buy the MX-5 and be happy ;) I have a ND with 160hp and every time I‘m driving it I‘m questioning myself why I‘m even buying an Emira 😅 It‘s just so much fun. I also have the sports package with Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs and this setup is perfectly comfortable yet very engaging. It rolls quite a bit, but that‘s part of the trick. And it‘s so light that you just don’t feel any force mid-corner pulling you towards the outside. It just feels as if you could approach any corner at any speed and the suspension will just communicate to you how much too fast you were by the amount of roll you get.
You will definitely not be the fastest out there, but you will probably have the most fun ;) If you‘re looking for a ND, I also recommend the Recaro seats.
And once getting the Emira, you will feel as if everything got dialed up To eleven. Power, luxury stuff, materials, weight... You will only miss the retractable roof. And probably the gearbox 🤭

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just buy the MX-5 and be happy ;) I have a ND with 160hp and every time I‘m driving it I‘m questioning myself why I‘m even buying an Emira 😅 It‘s just so much fun. I also have the sports package with Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs and this setup is perfectly comfortable yet very engaging. It rolls quite a bit, but that‘s part of the trick. And it‘s so light that you just don’t feel any force mid-corner pulling you towards the outside. It just feels as if you could approach any corner at any speed and the suspension will just communicate to you how much too fast you were by the amount of roll you get.
You will definitely not be the fastest out there, but you will probably have the most fun ;) If you‘re looking for a ND, I also recommend the Recaro seats.
And once getting the Emira, you will feel as if everything got dialed up To eleven. Power, luxury stuff, materials, weight... You will only miss the retractable roof. And probably the gearbox 🤭
I have a 94 Mk1 MX-5 in the garage on SORN. I bought it new, sold it to my brother after 10 years and bought it back a few years later when he emigrated to NZ...I think I have owned it for 25 of its years. I love the car, so many smiles per mile, and it has never missed a beat, but it now needs very extensive chassis rust work and I have to consider whether it is worth the outlay (probably 2x cars' current worth), or if I might be better off just chopping it in and buying something else for the money.

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Mates of mine have gone for:

Abarth Spider - if you want an MX5 in a lovely body and a bit more power.
Another went 986 Boxster.

Can’t see either losing any money if you sell by September. Both cracking options.

Would always note that old Porsches May come with big bills!

Lots of great options. But given a limited window, one criteria is that it’s going to be reliable as you don’t want to be wasting time if the car is in getting work done to it!

Get test driving and have fun!

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Different engine and a slip differential, but yeah. Good cars for the summer.
Mate of mine recently bought one. Had a drive of it. Cracking choice. Really struggle to see what car would give you more fun, with easy, care-free ownership, at near that price point. Of course an MX5 would but the styling is a bit better on the Abarth.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Mates of mine have gone for:

Abarth Spider - if you want an MX5 in a lovely body and a bit more power.
Another went 986 Boxster.

Can’t see either losing any money if you sell by September. Both cracking options.

Would always note that old Porsches May come with big bills!

Lots of great options. But given a limited window, one criteria is that it’s going to be reliable as you don’t want to be wasting time if the car is in getting work done to it!

Get test driving and have fun!
I can testify to old Porches and big bills! To be fair though, it has done 152k miles, 120k of those with me at the helm over the last 12 years.

Nothing big has ever let go, original clutch did 100k miles, now getting a 7k suspension refresh including all components, bushes and a set of KW V3s. Both front bearings also needed done, literally worn out...

Bodywork getting some attention soon too.

IMG_20210422_212901_293.jpg
IMG_20200901_131821_991.jpg
IMG_20210422_212901_275.jpg

Last edited:

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm expecting to be told it'll be October at the earliest before my Emira arrvies. Not wanting to waste the little sunshine these isles get I'm thinking to get a gap car, something that will not loose value over 6 months (even with pending rate hikes!) and be fun to drive. It'd be a cash purchase, and ideally no more than 50k, and possibly considerably less.

Inviting suggestions! The key criteria is it must be fun, manual box, and hold its value. Totally open to ideas, bonkers to sane and anything between.

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
- 997 of some description, although I wonder if these have topped out
- just some old banger that'll be fun enough, an old Alfa spider or something like that
Also, I’d advise getting a cheaper car, comfy and spend the rest on going on a great euro roadtrip or 3!!

christophermalex

Reaction score
Bought my 911 C2S Convertible in February and has made the wait a whole lot easier to handle (dare I say I'm afraid I won't be able to get rid of this once my number gets called for Emira).......

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 39

Auto Smiler

Reaction score
Seriously considering a Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Also a consideration of mine. If you’re not risk averse, there’s a very low mileage GQ on Collecting Cars, the auction ends this evening and it’s currently well priced.