a car 'For the gap', inviting suggestions

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm expecting to be told it'll be October at the earliest before my Emira arrvies. Not wanting to waste the little sunshine these isles get I'm thinking to get a gap car, something that will not loose value over 6 months (even with pending rate hikes!) and be fun to drive. It'd be a cash purchase, and ideally no more than 50k, and possibly considerably less.

Inviting suggestions! The key criteria is it must be fun, manual box, and hold its value. Totally open to ideas, bonkers to sane and anything between.

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
- 997 of some description, although I wonder if these have topped out
- just some old banger that'll be fun enough, an old Alfa spider or something like that

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm expecting to be told it'll be October at the earliest before my Emira arrvies. Not wanting to waste the little sunshine these isles get I'm thinking to get a gap car, something that will not loose value over 6 months (even with pending rate hikes!) and be fun to drive. It'd be a cash purchase, and ideally no more than 50k, and possibly considerably less.

Inviting suggestions! The key criteria is it must be fun, manual box, and hold its value. Totally open to ideas, bonkers to sane and anything between.

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
- just some old banger that'll be fun enough, an old Alfa spider or something like that
You may not like it but a Boxster be fun 😅 You would then be trading a soft top in October though.
I'd spend less than 15k and you aren't going to lose anything.
I was looking at a BBR modified 2007 MX5 today for 5k. Looked like value

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
Mx5 , then when the Emira lands you’ll be blown away by the power.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Go the F-type. It’s not so perfect that you’ll miss it when the Emira arrives. But it will give you the feel good factor, and look brilliant in the process.

Edit: I wouldn’t do the MX-5, simply because of the gearshift. It is by far the most enjoyable gearshift I’ve ever experienced. Once you get into the rhythm of that tight metal gate you’ll miss it forever.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Go the F-type. It’s not so perfect that you’ll miss it when the Emira arrives. But it will give you the feel good factor, and look brilliant in the process.
They do seem to be at good buy at the moment

OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
thanks for the ideas, can't see the mx5 loosing anything in value, loads of fun on my local roads, can't really go wrong. But less sure about touring in it, lol, may be that'll have to wait for the Emira.

I originally put manual box in my spec since my manual skills are a bit rusty, good prep for the Emira. But otherwise an Alpine could be in the running.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
thanks for the ideas, can't see the mx5 loosing anything in value, loads of fun on my local roads, can't really go wrong. But less sure about touring in it, lol, may be that'll have to wait for the Emira.

I originally put manual box in my spec since my manual skills are a bit rusty, good prep for the Emira. But otherwise an Alpine could be in the running.

I drove my Miata (ND) from Boston to Tail of the Dragon, then up to Toronto and back to Boston all in one go. It was very comfortable (assuming you fit to begin with, over 6’2” can be tight). Cargo space is the biggest issue for touring. Less storage space than even Emira. Not even a glove box.

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
Just going through same thought process! Want something interesting, useable, that won’t lose money, and that may be worth keeping even after Emira arrives. Eclectic list at present: Clio 182 Cup/968 Clubsport/Saab 900 turbo/Megane R26R/Cerbera/W124 Merc. Any views?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Just going through same thought process! Want something interesting, useable, that won’t lose money, and that may be worth keeping even after Emira arrives. Eclectic list at present: Clio 182 Cup/968 Clubsport/Saab 900 turbo/Megane R26R/Cerbera/W124 Merc. Any views?
They all sound amazing, love them all. I have always hankered after a really nice 900 T16S on aero wheels tho... (as well as the Clubsport..)

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I drove a Cerbera for a day at a car club invitational… scared the pants off me. The Megane is super quick, but rattled my teeth. Saab only if you’re a graphic designer. The Clio might be fun?

d15b7

Reaction score
most of you will be like ‘oh phooey!!!’, but hear me out. I have a 2018 FK8 Honda Civic Type R in my stable. And it is simply amazing. At everything. Fantastic engine. Fantastic manual gearbox. Incredible suspension and handling and brakes for a FWD car. Very reliable and well put together. Even gets decent mpg. Very usable too (4 door seats 4 comfortably and big hatchback). If you can get past the boy racer looks, it’s a winner. And boy does it hold value (it’s worth more than I paid for it new in ‘18 right now, with 16k miles on the clock).