a car 'For the gap', inviting suggestions

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Late to the Party but a MX5 is my suggestion as well. More specifically the RF.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are three Evora Series 1 supercharged cars on the market in the UK, all £40-45k. +2 for luggage for touring, Lotus handling and manual but only 345hp so the Emira will feel more powerful and better equipped.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm expecting to be told it'll be October at the earliest before my Emira arrvies. Not wanting to waste the little sunshine these isles get I'm thinking to get a gap car, something that will not loose value over 6 months (even with pending rate hikes!) and be fun to drive. It'd be a cash purchase, and ideally no more than 50k, and possibly considerably less.

Inviting suggestions! The key criteria is it must be fun, manual box, and hold its value. Totally open to ideas, bonkers to sane and anything between.

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
- 997 of some description, although I wonder if these have topped out
- just some old banger that'll be fun enough, an old Alfa spider or something like that
As you have stated, Cayman is an obvious choice, but it may not meet your “must be fun” criteria.

I recently drove a base Cayman. It was a really nice car, but there wasn’t much theatre and fun factor when driving it at public roads at legal-ish speed.

However, as I write this, I think Cayman would be a fine choice for you. It will hold value, and when you move over to the Emira, you will appreciate the Emira for it’s steering, chassis and overall theatre.

I would personally advise against a newish Evora. It’s probably too close to the Emira dynamically. Heck, you may even like a few things better in the Evora. Good luck!

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Abarth 123 spider. Love mine. More fun than my (now sold) F-Type ps380.
£20k buys a good example
Or a remapped Fiat 123 spider, it's the same engine.
£15k

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A few months in a GR Yaris will bring out your inner 17 year old hot hatch tendencies should you wish to (re)discover them. It would definitely put a smile on your face and residuals seem to be holding up, so far at least.

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just going through same thought process! Want something interesting, useable, that won’t lose money, and that may be worth keeping even after Emira arrives. Eclectic list at present: Clio 182 Cup/968 Clubsport/Saab 900 turbo/Megane R26R/Cerbera/W124 Merc. Any views?
BMW E85/86, 3.0ltr, amazing for the money! RWD and 262bhp normally aspirated! 👌

OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks again for all the ideas!
I'm sure as soon as I decide Lotus will email me to say someones pulled out and my car's due next week

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has even mentioned a Caterham or Westfield or Atom come to that. I realise these cars are a different category, and you cant take the family out in it, but I dont see that in the original spec sheet, I only see fun, less than 50k and wont lose its value.
There is IM humble O, nothing more fun than a lotus 7 type car, it is a Goooo kart on wheels and in my xx years of driving, I have never enjoyed anything more, not even close. Nothing else has made me want to get up at 5 am the next day and go driving 45 mins through Bogota (not your typical convertible 2 seater territory) in order to get to some fantastic roads, with views you can only see in the movies (slight exaggeration as every country has these in reality, even Belgium ) and spend a total of 4 - 5 hours of real driving pleasure, in seats that I could sit on for 24 hours with no back pain and legs outstretched 90 degrees almost.... I could go on.
Price wise, less than 50k yes and with waiting lists just as long as the Emira, a used one is selling at the same price as a new one and hence no losing money when you sell it, but will be a bit trickier in the winter of course.
In terms of MX5 gear box, well take that gear box, shorten the shifter, make it more mechanical and imagine the best shift this side of the tectonic plates.
Noise, take the MX5, take the engine out, put a far superior one in that can set car alarms off when you drive past and cracks and pops and bangers and mash.
Looks, take the MX5 (which at the end of the day is and always will be a Mazda) and put a smile on people's faces as you drive past, add your own smile to that and what more could you want?
I understand the MX5 is great, but the sound isn't and the power isn't and the looks....
I understand the F type, one of the best looking cars around even now and a V8, what a sound, but I am sure you will maybe lose some money on it and petrol consumption or tyres etc. A caterham is like running a bicycle with an engine.
I may well buy it off you myself ;). There is a rather nice peppermint green one on pistonheads I think it was, 45 k... not used....

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the ideas!
I'm sure as soon as I decide Lotus will email me to say someones pulled out and my car's due next week
threre's as much chance of that as there is of China pulling out of HK
Abarth 123 spider. Love mine. More fun than my (now sold) F-Type ps380.
£20k buys a good example
Or a remapped Fiat 123 spider, it's the same engine.
£15k
thats another good choice, Ive always wanted to drive one of them, had a replacement basic model and that was fun..ish.

OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
threre's as much chance of that as there is of China pulling out of HK
yes, I wish it was more than a joke, I have no expectations of Emira ownership before winter

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
yes, I wish it was more than a joke, I have no expectations of Emira ownership before winter
Yes, I think we all need to be quite light hearted about it now, it will come when it comes. I would rather now not hear anything from lotus other than a mail saying "it will come when it comes", this is better than telling the child he can have an ice cream this afternoon, then no, but tomorrow and then saying no, the next day, then saying no, probably on Sunday...etc etc.
You will have a great summer in any of those cars though... even the Mazda.. haha

OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@emiraspain . About a Caterham, the trouble with ownership is I don't have a garage, otherwise it'd be right up there on the list. I've shopped for one many times, but always concluded it made no sense without a garage. The other trouble is I doubt I'd sell it even after the Emira arrives because it's such a different beast and I have no doubt it'll be a blast.

But I'll rent one this summer, wanted to drive one for ages

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
@emiraspain . About a Caterham, the trouble with ownership is I don't have a garage, otherwise it'd be right up there on the list. I've shopped for one many times, but always concluded it made no sense without a garage. The other trouble is I doubt I'd sell it even after the Emira arrives because it's such a different beast and I have no doubt it'll be a blast.

But I'll rent one this summer, wanted to drive one for ages
you are correct on every count I think and its not often I say that if Im not facing a mirror....
For a few months you could consider a cover if you at least have a drive way and parking your other car blocking it each night. I had a Nomad for a month at my moms in birmingham and no one ever touched it. If they steel it, its not like they wont be noticed driving it around and its not like the export market to where ever they get shipped to after stealing them is too popular.
however, yes, I think upon owning a lotus 7 type car, you will then always want one.... this is my position and the emira will 100% not change that, its far far wider, far far heavier, you sit higher and dont feel the speed as much.
Renting isn't cheap though, but if you can afford it.... unforgettable.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
you are correct on every count I think and its not often I say that if Im not facing a mirror....
For a few months you could consider a cover if you at least have a drive way and parking your other car blocking it each night. I had a Nomad for a month at my moms in birmingham and no one ever touched it. If they steel it, its not like they wont be noticed driving it around and its not like the export market to where ever they get shipped to after stealing them is too popular.
however, yes, I think upon owning a lotus 7 type car, you will then always want one.... this is my position and the emira will 100% not change that, its far far wider, far far heavier, you sit higher and dont feel the speed as much.
Renting isn't cheap though, but if you can afford it.... unforgettable.

I'm still contemplating an i4 Base and a Caterham 7 instead of the FE V6...

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I'm still contemplating an i4 Base and a Caterham 7 instead of the FE V6...
dont be silly!

would you even take out the emira if you had a caterham?? haha.

I am sick of the comparisons, but here we go:
The caterham lotus 7 style car to me compares to the Ariel Atom in the same way that the Lotus Emira Compares to the Porsche Cayman
Logic: The ariel atom is a better car, better made, better reputation for reliability, it will probably never let you down, it is better handling and it is hence faster. However, I probablyyyyy wouldnt have one as the atom is too good, almost boring (stupid thing to say) and to my eyes it doesn't look as good. The 7 type car is much more fun, slides around, sounds much better and has much more character. It may let me down, but I will probably forgive it....
As Harris says, there is no substitute for that car..... give me a decent road, decent weather, a full morning and I can honestly say there is no ferrari/porsche/lotus/aston/Jane Zonda or anything that would interest me as much as a 200 HP Lotus 7 type car. You cant enjoy the others to the same extent. On a F1 race track, wide and long straights, them maybe I would change my mind, but I dont have regular access to one of them,.....

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just going through same thought process! Want something interesting, useable, that won’t lose money, and that may be worth keeping even after Emira arrives. Eclectic list at present: Clio 182 Cup/968 Clubsport/Saab 900 turbo/Megane R26R/Cerbera/W124 Merc. Any views?

I am a big Saab fan, had several; 99 EMS, 900 8v, 900 16v APC, new shape 900 turbo, 93 Aero. Always wanted a Viggen but got into BMW M cars instead. I would def consider a 900 Classic 16v APC Turbo for the old school tough as old boots Saab feeling. If you want quicker, look for a 93 Viggen and get the Abbotts Racing mods to calm the torque steer.