a car 'For the gap', inviting suggestions

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
dont be silly!

would you even take out the emira if you had a caterham?? haha.

I am sick of the comparisons, but here we go:
The caterham lotus 7 style car to me compares to the Ariel Atom in the same way that the Lotus Emira Compares to the Porsche Cayman
Logic: The ariel atom is a better car, better made, better reputation for reliability, it will probably never let you down, it is better handling and it is hence faster. However, I probablyyyyy wouldnt have one as the atom is too good, almost boring (stupid thing to say) and to my eyes it doesn't look as good. The 7 type car is much more fun, slides around, sounds much better and has much more character. It may let me down, but I will probably forgive it....
As Harris says, there is no substitute for that car..... give me a decent road, decent weather, a full morning and I can honestly say there is no ferrari/porsche/lotus/aston/Jane Zonda or anything that would interest me as much as a 200 HP Lotus 7 type car. You cant enjoy the others to the same extent. On a F1 race track, wide and long straights, them maybe I would change my mind, but I dont have regular access to one of them,.....
😁 Yes if I did that I'd literally daily the Emira, like I would a 4cyl Cayman. I basically see the 4cyl as an interesting less practical Golf R alternative.
Caterham you would enjoy at the weekend top down, sun out and go balls out (not literally..... 🤣🍒)

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has even mentioned a Caterham or Westfield or Atom come to that. I realise these cars are a different category, and you cant take the family out in it, but I dont see that in the original spec sheet, I only see fun, less than 50k and wont lose its value.
There is IM humble O, nothing more fun than a lotus 7 type car, it is a Goooo kart on wheels and in my xx years of driving, I have never enjoyed anything more, not even close. Nothing else has made me want to get up at 5 am the next day and go driving 45 mins through Bogota (not your typical convertible 2 seater territory) in order to get to some fantastic roads, with views you can only see in the movies (slight exaggeration as every country has these in reality, even Belgium ) and spend a total of 4 - 5 hours of real driving pleasure, in seats that I could sit on for 24 hours with no back pain and legs outstretched 90 degrees almost.... I could go on.
Price wise, less than 50k yes and with waiting lists just as long as the Emira, a used one is selling at the same price as a new one and hence no losing money when you sell it, but will be a bit trickier in the winter of course.
In terms of MX5 gear box, well take that gear box, shorten the shifter, make it more mechanical and imagine the best shift this side of the tectonic plates.
Noise, take the MX5, take the engine out, put a far superior one in that can set car alarms off when you drive past and cracks and pops and bangers and mash.
Looks, take the MX5 (which at the end of the day is and always will be a Mazda) and put a smile on people's faces as you drive past, add your own smile to that and what more could you want?
I understand the MX5 is great, but the sound isn't and the power isn't and the looks....
I understand the F type, one of the best looking cars around even now and a V8, what a sound, but I am sure you will maybe lose some money on it and petrol consumption or tyres etc. A caterham is like running a bicycle with an engine.
I may well buy it off you myself ;). There is a rather nice peppermint green one on pistonheads I think it was, 45 k... not used....
Great cars, but there is a downside-did a road trip across northern spain in 2019 in a Nomad. Brilliant fun, but on day 3 we were hurtling along and hit a patch of manure in the road where a herd of cattle had clearly spent some time. Spent the next couple of days trying to get the smell out of the car/luggage/ our hair! Then it caught fire, and had to be trailered home 🙄

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Great cars, but there is a downside-did a road trip across northern spain in 2019 in a Nomad. Brilliant fun, but on day 3 we were hurtling along and hit a patch of manure in the road where a herd of cattle had clearly spent some time. Spent the next couple of days trying to get the smell out of the car/luggage/ our hair! Then it caught fire, and had to be trailered home 🙄
ok so I have to ask...as someone that has also driven a Nomad around spain for 10,000km or so... fire???
The horse xxxx, well I guess poor packing? No perspex side panels?

I had a sun hat bikini type roof made and some doors, although they were not much use but in your case, they may have saved you.
Nomads are pretty bullet proof normally, apart from the drive shaft if you dont have the uprated clutch and fit the super charger..... I miss mine, but insuring it for use outside the UK long term is impossible after brexittttt

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm expecting to be told it'll be October at the earliest before my Emira arrvies. Not wanting to waste the little sunshine these isles get I'm thinking to get a gap car, something that will not loose value over 6 months (even with pending rate hikes!) and be fun to drive. It'd be a cash purchase, and ideally no more than 50k, and possibly considerably less.

Inviting suggestions! The key criteria is it must be fun, manual box, and hold its value. Totally open to ideas, bonkers to sane and anything between.

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
- 997 of some description, although I wonder if these have topped out
- just some old banger that'll be fun enough, an old Alfa spider or something like that
2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.7
Manual 'box
Meteorite silver (which is actually dark grey metallic)
Anthracite interior with silver contrast stitch
Piano black and turned metal centre console
Ultra-rare carbon fibre lightweight seats (these will make it so easy to re-sell)
Full sports pack in clude diamond cut 5 spoke twin spoke alloys just refurbed
New Aston Martin twin plate clutch with lighter flywheel - all Aston parts.
Full showcase specification including bose stereo.

Yep, it's mine and it's yours for 45k! 44k miles on the clock, clutch and full service were 600 miles ago in nov 21. I've had it 8 years and loved every minute.

You did ask!

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My vote for this would be a Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ. Pretty cheap to buy (here's a 15 plate with 25,000 miles for £16k) and going up in value by the looks of things. Low power and pretty slow but super fun to drive. Can use all the power all the time and great steering and overall feel. Plus with the new Toyota Relax warranty if it is under 10 years old and has been serviced by a main dealer in the last 12 months it still has a warranty!

I've owned mine for 7 years and still love driving it every time. It has given me nearly zero issues over the time (other than battery dying very quickly) and I will be keeping it alongside the Emira!

Here's a Jeremy Clarkson gif to sum it up:

1pJP.gif

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Get an V6 Exige or a fast Caterham. Both stunning excellent driver cars that hold value extremely well. It may even happen you will pass on Emira and keep one of them.

I sold my Exige V6 for Emira replacement, but my Caterham 485CSR still puts a massive smile on my face everytime I drive it! Its actually very very fast on track...fighting with GT3's!

52143164102_51c51f89b4_b.jpg

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
ok so I have to ask...as someone that has also driven a Nomad around spain for 10,000km or so... fire???
The horse xxxx, well I guess poor packing? No perspex side panels?

I had a sun hat bikini type roof made and some doors, although they were not much use but in your case, they may have saved you.
Nomads are pretty bullet proof normally, apart from the drive shaft if you dont have the uprated clutch and fit the super charger..... I miss mine, but insuring it for use outside the UK long term is impossible after brexittttt
It was the oil cooler. We had an extinguisher so got it out quite quickly. One of the more mechanically useful guys on the trip bypassed it, which kept it going for another day before it finally gave up the ghost. Ariel were very good about it all, and it was all covered under warranty, although the owner had quite a ding-dong with the AA regarding repatriating it. Good times 👍

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Get an V6 Exige or a fast Caterham. Both stunning excellent driver cars that hold value extremely well. It may even happen you will pass on Emira and keep one of them.

I sold my Exige V6 for Emira replacement, but my Caterham 485CSR still puts a massive smile on my face everytime I drive it! Its actually very very fast on track...fighting with GT3's!

52143164102_51c51f89b4_b.jpg
That looks like a proper weapon!

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Cars I'd be interested in at the moment: Camaro SS 1LE or ZL1 1LE or Mustang Mach 1 or Nissan Z or GR86.

OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.7
Manual 'box
Meteorite silver (which is actually dark grey metallic)
Anthracite interior with silver contrast stitch
Piano black and turned metal centre console
Ultra-rare carbon fibre lightweight seats (these will make it so easy to re-sell)
Full sports pack in clude diamond cut 5 spoke twin spoke alloys just refurbed
New Aston Martin twin plate clutch with lighter flywheel - all Aston parts.
Full showcase specification including bose stereo.

Yep, it's mine and it's yours for 45k! 44k miles on the clock, clutch and full service were 600 miles ago in nov 21. I've had it 8 years and loved every minute.

You did ask!
feels like too much car to flip after a few months. I'd also fear over-bonding with it in that time!

I'm not the kind of person that's always looking for something better, so the more I think about it, something on the cheap end of the scale makes more sense. There's less chance I'll think what I get is perfectly good enough and I don't need the Emira!

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm expecting to be told it'll be October at the earliest before my Emira arrvies. Not wanting to waste the little sunshine these isles get I'm thinking to get a gap car, something that will not loose value over 6 months (even with pending rate hikes!) and be fun to drive. It'd be a cash purchase, and ideally no more than 50k, and possibly considerably less.

Inviting suggestions! The key criteria is it must be fun, manual box, and hold its value. Totally open to ideas, bonkers to sane and anything between.

Obvious candidates:
- Jag F-Type V6 S
- obvious Cayman options
- 997 of some description, although I wonder if these have topped out
- just some old banger that'll be fun enough, an old Alfa spider or something like that
No one so far has mentioned the Noble M12

A cracking car, exotic and rare and wont lose any money. Best A to B road car I have ever owned (2.5GTO, but would go for a 3R for road use or M400 if you want to do track days)

OP
frazzer

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No one so far has mentioned the Noble M12

A cracking car, exotic and rare and wont lose any money. Best A to B road car I have ever owned (2.5GTO, but would go for a 3R for road use or M400 if you want to do track days)

I expect these will appreciate nicely...

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
feels like too much car to flip after a few months. I'd also fear over-bonding with it in that time!

I'm not the kind of person that's always looking for something better, so the more I think about it, something on the cheap end of the scale makes more sense. There's less chance I'll think what I get is perfectly good enough and I don't need the Emira!
For the time frame, we are talking Id definitely spend less than 10k. You can have a lot of fun with minimal risk and hassle getting back out of it

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This is a great car for the gap, it's our rental in Corfu and it's about 4' wide!
20220706_111639.jpg
20220706_111614.jpg

Over-bonding a definite risk! At the cheaper end of the scale I've always thought the Honda S2000 with its 9000 rpm redline would be a good summer drive, top up or down.

d15b7

Reaction score
Cars I'd be interested in at the moment: Camaro SS 1LE or ZL1 1LE or Mustang Mach 1 or Nissan Z or GR86.
I also own a ‘20 ZLE 6sp manual. It’s a totally nuts car - every time I drive it I think to myself ‘I can’t believe they sell this car straight off the show room floor!!’

I totally love mine, but would NOT recommend the ZL1 1LE for everyday street use. The suspension is too brutal (and the full race GY SC3R tires are terrible for street). The standard ZL1 is a much better choice for street (and WAY easier to find/buy).

She’s a bad bad girl though 😎

Attachments

• 69803F3B-2092-4FCF-B8A3-8F2CDAAFD67C.jpeg
    69803F3B-2092-4FCF-B8A3-8F2CDAAFD67C.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 42
  • F1BC6834-ADD3-4D22-A9E9-4D75A8C0E253.jpeg
    F1BC6834-ADD3-4D22-A9E9-4D75A8C0E253.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

d15b7

Reaction score
PS the fuel economy is TERRIBLE. as in, I’m averaging 12-13 mpg in mixed street driving. Guys who are tracking them are in the 3.1 to 3.4 mpg range. Premium only of course (I run 93 only as it pulls timing on 91 or 92. Gotta have all 650 ponies pulling!). But the noise it makes with the exhaust in loud mode almost makes the gas mileage worth it.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
So I have another one for you, seems logical to me and seeing how you dont have a garage an all.....

the start of the video is a bit....werid, but well...

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I also own a ‘20 ZLE 6sp manual. It’s a totally nuts car - every time I drive it I think to myself ‘I can’t believe they sell this car straight off the show room floor!!’

I totally love mine, but would NOT recommend the ZL1 1LE for everyday street use. The suspension is too brutal (and the full race GY SC3R tires are terrible for street). The standard ZL1 is a much better choice for street (and WAY easier to find/buy).

She’s a bad bad girl though 😎
Sometimes im quite jealous of the cars you get on the other side of the pond. Love a bit of Americana but always so expensive by the time it reaches our shores.