2027 Emira Connectivity Deletions

Does that apply to media too? e.g. Spotify? Always wondered why even when plugged in, Spotify seemed to struggle with data
It's a bit complex as Android Auto tries to optimise things (it also has changed a bit in later versions).

It the phone is plugged in most transmissions will go over the wired connection - apart from phone calls. But the Bluetooth connection also needs to be there as a "keep-alive", if the Bluetooth connection drops then Android Auto will shutdown the connection, wired or not.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...etooth-when-its-connected-via-usb-141616.html
 
I just asked my Canadian dealer regarding these issues and he said that it doesn't affect the Canadian builds, only US builds.
 
Surprisingly, the Biden administration introduced the Connected Vehicle Final Rule, not Trump!
Well what do you know! It’s a shame the Us thinks that isolationist policies are the way to economic growth. This has never worked throughout history. Innovate, compete or die like all past “empires”
 
I'm late to the party here, but I'm not sure Lotus is out of the woods yet on this, nor is it clear that just dropping BT or telematics would solve things. I'm not at all an expert, but my understanding is that there are two laws to consider here, which are interrelated but which have different criteria.

There is the Connected Vehicle Rule, which is already established law and went into effect last year. This pertains to banning software that has any ties to adversaries (principally China and Russia), and this is what pushed Polestar out of the US market. So far, other brands with software ties to China (think Volvo and Lotus) have not been banned, presumably because their software doesn't fit the criteria of "connectivity" specified in the wording of the law.

Secondly, there is the Connected Vehicle Security Act, which is not yet law (aimed to go in to effect for the 2027 model year). If it moves forward and becomes law, it essentially builds upon the existing Connected Vehicle Rule by adding a trigger to the ban based on ownership of the vehicle company. Specifically, as currently worded, anything more than a 15% corporate ownership by a foreign adversary would itself be cause for a ban, regardless of the software on the car. This one would catch both Volvo and Lotus because of Geely's ownership of both, unless lawmakers create a carveout for them. There would be understandable motivation to make a carveout for Volvo, as they have US manufacturing, but it's not obvious that lawmakers would be motivated to create a carveout for a low volume company that has no manufacturing investment in the US like Lotus.

Bottom line, I hope things work out, but the corporate ownership trigger of the Connected Vehicle Security Act seems like the biggest risk for Lotus rather than whether or not they remove BT or telematics software from the Emira.
 
I'm late to the party here, but I'm not sure Lotus is out of the woods yet on this, nor is it clear that just dropping BT or telematics would solve things. I'm not at all an expert, but my understanding is that there are two laws to consider here, which are interrelated but which have different criteria.

There is the Connected Vehicle Rule, which is already established law and went into effect last year. This pertains to banning software that has any ties to adversaries (principally China and Russia), and this is what pushed Polestar out of the US market. So far, other brands with software ties to China (think Volvo and Lotus) have not been banned, presumably because their software doesn't fit the criteria of "connectivity" specified in the wording of the law.

Secondly, there is the Connected Vehicle Security Act, which is not yet law (aimed to go in to effect for the 2027 model year). If it moves forward and becomes law, it essentially builds upon the existing Connected Vehicle Rule by adding a trigger to the ban based on ownership of the vehicle company. Specifically, as currently worded, anything more than a 15% corporate ownership by a foreign adversary would itself be cause for a ban, regardless of the software on the car. This one would catch both Volvo and Lotus because of Geely's ownership of both, unless lawmakers create a carveout for them. There would be understandable motivation to make a carveout for Volvo, as they have US manufacturing, but it's not obvious that lawmakers would be motivated to create a carveout for a low volume company that has no manufacturing investment in the US like Lotus.

Bottom line, I hope things work out, but the corporate ownership trigger of the Connected Vehicle Security Act seems like the biggest risk for Lotus rather than whether or not they remove BT or telematics software from the Emira.
Volvo had to get an exception - https://www.volvocars.com/intl/media/press-releases/529D5DA7B9332A2C/

Any company this meets the criteria has to apply for special authorization. Polestar did not get theirs (and I don't know why).

I haven't kept up with others. I just remember Volvo and Polestar. Unfortunate about Polestar. The tin foil hat in me suspects that Elon Musk may have been a voice to push back against them, as they are a competitor.

As much as I don't like it, I do at least understand it, at least the concept of it for the connectivity rule. But I not the one here to argue for or against it.
 
As much as I don't like it, I do at least understand it, at least the concept of it for the connectivity rule. But I not the one here to argue for or against it.
I get the concept too - but then for similar reason mobile phones which are nearly exclusively made in China should also be banned.
But this is not the forum for these arguments.
 
If it makes anyone feel better, wireless android auto sucks. I always plug in.
 
I get the concept too - but then for similar reason mobile phones which are nearly exclusively made in China should also be banned.
But this is not the forum for these arguments.
Totally. My only point is that Lotus might still get f*cked in a way that prevents them from selling the Emira in the US based on Chinese corporate ownership, even though the Emira is manufactured in the UK and regardless of what software it has in it, if the CVSA passes as currently written.
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top