• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

1000 miles in, here’s my issues …

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You're assuming the parts they're using to build actual production cars are the same as the parts they used for testing and validation prototypes.

Silver Storm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sigh.......We've had our Lexus RX400h with start/stops going on for 18 years and 136,000 miles and never a hiccup. Lotus, please send your engineers to Japan to learn the way of the high quality/reliability (kohinshitsu)
Can you imagine if Toyota had bought Lotus instead of Geely. Lotus reliability on par with Toyota. We can only dream.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Can you imagine if Toyota had bought Lotus instead of Geely. Lotus reliability on par with Toyota. We can only dream.
Many years ago, after Ford bought half of Mazda, Ford engineers went to visit Mazda's manufacturing plant. Ford was having an issue with their vehicles in which after a period of time, the vehicles would creak. One difference they discovered between their and Mazda's vehicle panel assembly was that Ford engineers designed slotted holes to compensate for tooling/assembly inaccuracy. Mazda's tooling was much more precise and thus, panel holes that were just a bit larger than the rivets were incorporated into their design, resulting in an absence of any creaking noises, even after many years of hard use.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You mean the lifetime warranty on the powertrain from my dealership?
Not saying Lotus is bad, wouldn’t have deposited on one. But there do seem to be an awful lot of problems that one would think should have been found during testing.

Do you think a lifetime Lotus Emira warranty would help the current owners experience less issues and downtime right now?

Didn't think so.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Many years ago, after Ford bought half of Mazda, Ford engineers went to visit Mazda's manufacturing plant. Ford was having an issue with their vehicles in which after a period of time, the vehicles would creak. One difference they discovered between their and Mazda's vehicle panel assembly was that Ford engineers designed slotted holes to compensate for tooling/assembly inaccuracy. Mazda's tooling was much more precise and thus, panel holes that were just a bit larger than the rivets were incorporated into their design, resulting in an absence of any creaking noises, even after many years of hard use.
There was a Lotus Ford or was it a Ford Lotus quite some time ago.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus Cortina. Frying pan and Fire :ROFLMAO:

My dad had one in the 80's and paid 400 quid for it to practice shimming the valves so he didnt get it wrong doing the same on the Elan. Now that 400 quid car is worth as much or more than the Elan!

iu

Finbarqs

Reaction score
The KEF hifi in the Emira ain’t too bad. Streaming music via Spotify definitely an improvement. Also, I’ve noticed at a lower volume it’s sounds tinny but when you crank it up half way, the bass kicks in and is more noticeable. It’s if the bass/subwoofer only turns on at higher volume.
It’s a luxurious experience compared to Elise… and it’s an upgrade compared to the evora. But I’m sure it drives incredibly compared to its peers! (Also in the looks department)

OP
K

koorby

Reaction score
Update: driving from Le Mans to Caen today in 29c heat the air conditioning decided to stop working….. sigh … it was like a blast furnace inside the car with windows open.

Off to the Lotus dealer tomorrow and I’ll throw the keys at them and pick it back up when it’s fixed.

My two Evoras never ever had a single issue. So disheartening.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Update: driving from Le Mans to Caen today in 29c heat the air conditioning decided to stop working….. sigh … it was like a blast furnace inside the car with windows open.

Off to the Lotus dealer tomorrow and I’ll throw the keys at them and pick it back up when it’s fixed.

My two Evoras never ever had a single issue. So disheartening.
thats a real shame and ballache. Had mine on full chat today and its defo the best in anything I have owned before.

I do have to top it up but my 1998 Esprit still works fine (y)

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
thats a real shame and ballache. Had mine on full chat today and its defo the best in anything I have owned before.

I do have to top it up but my 1998 Esprit still works fine (y)
Is it cheating if I just buy an Elise instead? Maybe a California edition for the slightly better interior.

Ftype

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I was not given the owners manual on delivery, but it doesn’t matter because even the full PDF version of it is possibly the worst ever owner’s manual ever written!
There are nearly 40 for sale on Autotrader now so a lot of disgruntled owners are just selling on. I cancelled several months ago but check in here occasionally as I desperately wanted the car but my head said no based on early feedback. I hope you resolve the issues.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Lotus-Ford Type 38, won the Indy 500
7rnljoy7p1q01.jpg

And of course several Lotus F1 cars powered by the Ford Cosworth DFV (Mike Costin, half of Cosworth and now 93, was at the Lotus Garden Party a few weeks ago)
Lotus-Type-72_2.jpg

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lotus-Ford Type 38, won the Indy 500
7rnljoy7p1q01.jpg

And of course several Lotus F1 cars powered by the Ford Cosworth DFV (Mike Costin, half of Cosworth and now 93, was at the Lotus Garden Party a few weeks ago)
Lotus-Type-72_2.jpg
See, Ford doesn’t screw up everything they touch. Just Aston Martin, and Jaguar.

Last edited:

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you still have trouble with your tracker, just write a mail to scorpion track and they will probably fix it remotely within minutes. That’s what I did.

OP
K

koorby

Reaction score
Ok overheating, aircon, ABS/ESC and tracker issues all resolved.

Aircon, ABS/ESC and overheating turned out to be a water corrosion in the wiring loom junction box u der the bonnet, I have a temp fix by the dealer and awaiting new parts from Lotus.

Scorpion tracker issue was resolved by Scorpion customer service calling me and coding the fob serials to my account and phone app while the engine was running.

Touch wood, all issues now resolved and I’m enjoying the car immensely with nearly 2000 miles on the clock and a 1000 mile West Country road trip planned for mid-July.