• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Why the Lotus Emira almost did not come onto the market

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Quite a comprehensive account of the Emira from Car Vision, a Dutch YouTube channel:

Question for @TomE, or anybody else who might know the answer; was the Emira in the works when Geely took over Lotus, as part of the Proton acquisition?

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is this guy really short? I think this is the first video where the car appears to be quite large… much bigger than I’d been picturing it previously.

And how is the brake light on without anyone touching the pedal?

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is this guy really short? I think this is the first video where the car appears to be quite large… much bigger than I’d been picturing it previously.

And how is the brake light on without anyone touching the pedal?
This guy makes me question all my assumptions about Dutch people being tall...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Quite a comprehensive account of the Emira from Car Vision, a Dutch YouTube channel:

Question for @TomE, or anybody else who might know the answer; was the Emira in the works when Geely took over Lotus, as part of the Proton acquisition?
There were various model concepts being considered when Geely bought Lotus in 2017 but Project Gamma (to design and build the Emira) only formally started in 2019.

OP
Lankan

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
There were various model concepts being considered when Geely bought Lotus in 2017 but Project Gamma (to design and build the Emira) only formally started in 2019.
I thought as much - thanks for confirming.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
2 years to design a brand new car and produce a prototype is good going. I wonder if it did borrow quite a bit from project gamma

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think someone (maybe Lotus) needs to tell the Dutch market that the car won’t be having ADAS fitted, he seems to be expecting adaptive cruise etc, lots of safety systems, that aren’t going on the FE cars.

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To be fair its not just the Dutch market, as posted here (https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/what-happened-to-adas.259/page-2#post-6759) all the specs for the Malaysian market state ADAS still for FE cars.

And I don't know about you, but the only place I have heard about it not being includes is from posts on forums, so perhaps Lotus needs to tell ALL customers officially that it is not included despite it being such a key part of the launch information

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To be fair its not just the Dutch market, as posted here (https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/what-happened-to-adas.259/page-2#post-6759) all the specs for the Malaysian market state ADAS still for FE cars.

And I don't know about you, but the only place I have heard about it not being includes is from posts on forums, so perhaps Lotus needs to tell ALL customers officially that it is not included despite it being such a key part of the launch information
Yes, or the other way around, tell us all that it is included in FE price, and we can switch it off. Otherwise, why not discount it from the original price that was included?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I agree Lotus should be clearer about it. It was in the July reveal specs then vanished.

But, it’s clear it’s NOT in the V6 First Edition specs, it’s not mentioned.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well pretty much any pre-production anything is usually accompanied by the typical "Pre-production model. Specifications and features subject to change without notice" type of disclaimer. It would be nice to have some of the ADAS features, but it's not going to stop me from buying the car if it doesn't have them.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I asked at the roadshow and was told by a Lotus representative that it definitely wasn’t in the FE car, but couldn’t give me a reason why, only that it would appear later.

I’m surprised you didn’t find out from
one of the regular updates we receive as priority customers…………. 🤔
Sorry, that’s just one more thing we were told we would get and haven’t !!

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m surprised you didn’t find out from
one of the regular updates we receive as priority customers…………. 🤔
Sorry, that’s just one more thing we were told we would get and haven’t !!
Indeed, perhaps we should all send an email querying the lack of updates, quite a few members on here, so if we all emailed they may get the point!

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Indeed, perhaps we should all send an email querying the lack of updates, quite a few members on here, so if we all emailed they may get the point!
I´m afraid that if we all email them, they can't cope with the amount, and extend the next decisions, = More delays !!!😜

OP
Lankan

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, or the other way around, tell us all that it is included in FE price, and we can switch it off. Otherwise, why not discount it from the original price that was included?
I am all for having ADAS as long as the unwanted features can be switched off. The Pre-collision System (PCS) in the GR Yaris gave me the biggest fright I have had in a car when driving on the road when it decided to slam on the brakes assuming I was approaching a stationary object too fast when I was in perfect control! Fortunately, there was no other vehicle behind me.

Fortunately, PCS, along with other such unwanted features can be switched off but not permanently, so, one needs to go through a start-up ritual before setting up, every time... :confused: