What happened to ADAS?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I probably would want all the driver's aids if I could get them but it's no deal breaker. Being a Lotus newbie my focus is strictly on the styling and driving dynamics. Perhaps this is why the Emira is so special due to the fact that it has long time Lotus loyalist and Lotus newbies both interested.

Is it possible the 0-60 time for the FE V6 will be sub 4 seconds? More exciting to me though is the handling. They have made it clear that this is the widest car they have made which allowed them to do more with handling. Is it possible that the Emira will be the best handling car in the world? I have seen many videos saying the Evora handles as good as any car, so if the Emira beats the Evora then....??!!!

Russell Carr was asked about future Lotus cars. He responded by saying that Lotus is notorious for not leaking any details and they make the military look like a gossip machine. I think Lotus is tricking us all. Only they know how fast and how well the car handles and they could very well be unleashing the car of the century on us which means stitching, ADAS, price really won't matter. But, if my predication is wrong, they did say the Lotus badge on the final car will be more "jeweled" so at least we will have some bling. Lol

Reactions: Rob

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I probably would want all the driver's aids if I could get them but it's no deal breaker. Being a Lotus newbie my focus is strictly on the styling and driving dynamics. Perhaps this is why the Emira is so special due to the fact that it has long time Lotus loyalist and Lotus newbies both interested.

Is it possible the 0-60 time for the FE V6 will be sub 4 seconds? More exciting to me though is the handling. They have made it clear that this is the widest car they have made which allowed them to do more with handling. Is it possible that the Emira will be the best handling car in the world? I have seen many videos saying the Evora handles as good as any car, so if the Emira beats the Evora then....??!!!

Russell Carr was asked about future Lotus cars. He responded by saying that Lotus is notorious for not leaking any details and they make the military look like a gossip machine. I think Lotus is tricking us all. Only they know how fast and how well the car handles and they could very well be unleashing the car of the century on us which means stitching, ADAS, price really won't matter. But, if my predication is wrong, they did say the Lotus badge on the final car will be more "jeweled" so at least we will have some bling. Lol

@TomE just released the specification document which pretty much blows up this post! 4.3sec 0-60, albeit with an asterisk.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I think Lotus are being conservative still. They have only got simulations and development cars as a basis, so I think they'll wait until production cars are through testing and accreditation before updating with "real world" figures for 0-60, weight etc.

It's interesting that some Lotus enthusiasts are critical of the Emira for having all this extra weight and comfort, convenience and assistance tech compared to an Elise/Exige. But conversely many of the newcomers to the brand are only considering the Emira because it now has those additions. I'm sure there'll be a stripped back S or GT4 Emira in a few years time for those who want carbon bucket seats and no frills.

The Evora won Evo Car of the Year at launch, and a stack of other awards. If the Emira is the Evora dialled up to 11 (as Russell Carr and Gav Kershaw said) then it may well be winning that again.

Last edited:

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Is there any possibility that the missing ADAS is linked to the running gear? As in, maybe the DCT and AMG combination will allow for ADAS?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don’t think that’s the case, all the elements of ADAS can work on a manual, auto or DCT car.

Some of the more advanced safety technology would probably mean having to move to electric steering, but not the items Lotus have mentioned as part of the Emira ADAS.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s the case, all the elements of ADAS can work on a manual, auto or DCT car.

Some of the more advanced safety technology would probably mean having to move to electric steering, but not the items Lotus have mentioned as part of the Emira ADAS.
The chip shortage as mentioned previously seems the mostly likely reason for omission.

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I see in the news today they have released prices for Malaysia and on the spec sheets for those areas it clearly shows the V6 FE cars as having all the ADAS features e.g. Adaptive cruise control, anti-collision system, fatigue alert, road sign information, vehicle speed limiter, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert and lane change assist

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I see in the news today they have released prices for Malaysia and on the spec sheets for those areas it clearly shows the V6 FE cars as having all the ADAS features e.g. Adaptive cruise control, anti-collision system, fatigue alert, road sign information, vehicle speed limiter, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert and lane change assist

Interesting. It could simply be a mistake.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

I hope this is true. From the very beginning Lotus has said this car can be daily driven. And they said "easily daily driven." This is the one issue that has been stuck in the back of my mind. I know a lot of people don't want a lot of this stuff but if you drive in highway traffic frequently this aids can help. I am crossing my fingers that Lotus will be including these ADAS. I don't know if the 718 has this stuff but if it does it certainly makes sense that the Emira should have it too. Then you can strip it off for a future track version for the those that are looking for the ultimate version with low weight.

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I hope this is true. ....
I completely agree. I undertstand some won't want them, but I am going to be using it as a daily driver and aids such as road sign information, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert and lane change assist are handy

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Possibly, but everything else on the document seems accurate even down to not having TDC on manual steering wheel etc
And the print date of the document is October 2021, so relatively recent. At the roadshow, I was told face to face that it wouldn’t be on the FE cars but couldnt get a reason why not.

What with this and the i4 FE China rumours, it’s about time Lotus updated us with some more accurate, definitive information, all these conflicting stories will ultimately deter people and harm the “New Lotus“ branding they’re so keen to push.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Think about their potential business strategy. They design one of the most beautiful cars in history. They need a big hit. So they roll the lady out to see who wants to take her on a date but they only show us the outside and give very little details, confusing details, retracted details, about specs, features, etc. Men from around the world line up to pay a dowry. Now they have economies of scale. I know that Geely brought some cash but nothing replaces demand. With economy of scales for a small car maker they can do more. If demand wasn't strong, they can just sell the pretty outside, the engine and the handling still have a great car.

So hopefully ADAS is coming.

*Disclaimer: My day job is not a car selling strategist.

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Personally I do hope ADAS systems will not be included, if you do not know you are lane wandering, tailgating, driving without care or attention, then maybe a taxi is a more suitable vehicle 😉

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Personally I do hope ADAS systems will not be included, if you do not know you are lane wandering, tailgating, driving without care or attention, then maybe a taxi is a more suitable vehicle 😉
But using it as a daily driver and having to say reverse out of a tight driveway and using technology such as "rear cross-traffic alert" doesn't make someone a bad driver does it, with the lack of rear visibility in car like this. A car costing a lot of money in 2021/22 when tech such as this is standard on all rival models is not asking for much.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I like it for potential resale value. User can turn it all off but unless it’s staying in the family it’ll need to be sold.

Just having a gas powered manual is going to be an interesting sale in 10-20 years…

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
But using it as a daily driver and having to say reverse out of a tight driveway and using technology such as "rear cross-traffic alert" doesn't make someone a bad driver does it, with the lack of rear visibility in car like this. A car costing a lot of money in 2021/22 when tech such as this is standard on all rival models is not asking for much.
In those situations, my driving instructors advised that it is not wise to reverse into danger, which I have tried to comply with. The Cayman GTS4.0, arguably the Emira's main competitor, also manages without that system.

Not saying technology isn't useful, parking sensors are a lovely addition but I don't plough on without looking either, they are an aid to driving, not a replacement.

So many "driver assists" discourage concentration, as can be seen regularly with "zombies" behind the wheel in a trance, oblivious to the world outside of their bubble.

AlexB

Reaction score
For now, there’s just one variant available, the 3.5 V6 First Edition, priced at RM1,131,800 million in Peninsular Malaysia and RM456,900 in Langkawi.

Never mind ADAS, that’s an insane price difference between Langkawi and the rest of Malaysia 😵

Last edited: