What happened to ADAS?

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In the initial press release for the Emira, there's talk of a bunch of driver assists.
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) available on the Emira include adaptive cruise control, anti-collision system, fatigue alert, road sign information, vehicle speed limiter, lane departure warning, rear cross traffic alert, lane change assist.
Im not sure these will be everyone's cup of tea (I know adaptive cruise can be divisive), but at the moment, I can't work out if these are still options/standard or not?

Seems there's no mention on the Emira page of these features any more, so does that mean they've been dropped? Or just not available on the first cars? Anyone heard anything?

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was told by Lotus rep the earliest is 2023.

Yah what a joke to promote it and then not even offer it as an option.

I picked up on that also

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That is not good at all, can't believe it has just quietly been removed from website with no comment as to why

Link to mention in original press release - https://media.lotuscars.com/en/news-articles/lotus-emira-the-most-accomplished-lotus-ever-made.html

At the unveiling Matt Windle said "We’ve added ADAS [Advanced Driver Assistance Systems]"

Other related quotes in reviews - "Despite all the new tech and richer materials, some classic Lotus features, such as a semi-exposed gear linkage on manual cars, are retained. Adaptive cruise control, an anti-collision system, fatigue alert, road sign detection, a speed limiter, lane-departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert and lane-changing assistance all feature as part of the ADAS (advanced driver assistance systems) suite. This is made possible by a new electrical architecture taken from Geely but adapted to Lotus’s needs." - AutoCar 20/09/21 - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/all-new-lotus-emira-priced-75995-first-edition-trim

Discussion on LotusTalk seems to also indicate no going to be available on FE V6 cars - https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/a...em-fatigue-alert-road-sign-info.485336/page-2

This could well be a deal breaker.......

Last edited:

Jl51

Reaction score
That is not good at all, can't believe it has just quietly been removed from website with no comment as to why

Link to mention in original press release - https://media.lotuscars.com/en/news-articles/lotus-emira-the-most-accomplished-lotus-ever-made.html

At the unveiling Matt Windle said "We’ve added ADAS [Advanced Driver Assistance Systems]"

Other related quotes in reviews - "Despite all the new tech and richer materials, some classic Lotus features, such as a semi-exposed gear linkage on manual cars, are retained. Adaptive cruise control, an anti-collision system, fatigue alert, road sign detection, a speed limiter, lane-departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert and lane-changing assistance all feature as part of the ADAS (advanced driver assistance systems) suite. This is made possible by a new electrical architecture taken from Geely but adapted to Lotus’s needs." - AutoCar 20/09/21 - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/all-new-lotus-emira-priced-75995-first-edition-trim

Discussion on LotusTalk seems to also indicate no going to be available on FE V6 cars - https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/a...em-fatigue-alert-road-sign-info.485336/page-2

This could well be a deal breaker.......
Really!??? Why would you want those features on a sports car anyway !?

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Seems like another comms foible. My goodness. Even though it’s a sports car, I would really like to have these features, particularly given the limited rear visibility I’ve heard mentioned. I’m not proud….honestly, at this age I’ll take all the help I can get 🥴

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It needs to be remembered that not all of us will be taking it round a track or have had sports cars before, and will be using it as a daily driver to replace existing cars. So some of those aids are actually quite useful.

So if it hasn't got ADAS what tech has it got e.g. traction control, stabilty control, ABS etc - as website / brochure really not clear especially now we seem to be going back on what was originally selling points of making this a car for everyone.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I saw this had been spotted on another forum yesterday and queried. It’s been picked up and raised by someone else with Lotus to clarify.

I’ve also got a few questions following the dealer event on Wed I’m raising with Lotus and will add this to the list.

I’ll report back once I have info. If anyone is at a dealer event in the next few days can you ask the Lotus team. They have the “product brief” book at the events for their reference, which has the definitive info.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This confirmation from Lotus:

The Speed Limiter, fitted as standard that comes with Cruise Control (also fitted as standard) is the traditional Speed Limiter and it is not the one required by the Regulation (EU) 2019/2144. With this you can set an upper speed limit for when driving through roadworks etc.

Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) as mentioned in the Emira reveal media briefing will be offered as optional in the vehicle lifetime and include features such as: Adaptive Cruise Control, Anti-Collision System, Fatigue Alert, Road Sign Information, Adaptive Speed Limiter, Lane Departure Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Change Assist.

So, no ADAS on the First Edition cars. But they have cruise control with optional upper limit plus ESP and ABS.

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@TomE - thank you, that is very useful to know. Must admit I think it is bad advertising on the part of Lotus as when first launched having all this tech was part of the sales pitch. Now it turns out FE cars are getting lots of extra bits, but also losing lots of bits as well.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I know what you mean. I suspect the issue with ADAS is chip supply, which is having an impact across the industry. Lotus have probably taken the decision they don't want to delay first deliveries by continuing with ADAS and then not having enough supply.

I'm guessing they will have got an initial supply agreement in place based on forecast volume. They will then have had to increase those projections based on the significant number of deposits and strong interest in the V6 FE. Their supplier, having committed to the original figure, may not be able to increase it in the required timeframe.

I think ADAS and the manual steering wheel stitching (probably a similar supply issue) are the only items lost from the reveal spec. Is there anything else you've spotted?

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes that would certainly make sense.

No I think those are the two main areas I have noticed that were in reveal and press releases that we are now not getting, it is a shame, but the current chip shortages etc certainly are not helping.

I think a lot of it is also Lotus have been surprised by how much interest they have had in this car, and demand is going to outstrip planning.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
@TomE - thank you, that is very useful to know. Must admit I think it is bad advertising on the part of Lotus as when first launched having all this tech was part of the sales pitch. Now it turns out FE cars are getting lots of extra bits, but also losing lots of bits as well.
Has anyone actually gone back and listened to the reveal and subsequent media to confirm what was actually said about tech available on Emira? Was it described as available, included, optional equipment, etc.? Was the language around these things imbued with calculated ambiguity? Were they inviting people to believe something would included when that had not yet been decided? Did they intend to include these things on the FEs and then be forced to change their mind because of chip availability issues? Etc. lots of possibilities. What I don’t necessarily subscribe to is the notion that these things shouldn’t be expected as standard because of the car’s low price point. It’s not really that low. A V6 FE, which it seems won’t have any of this technology included, is going to be well over $100K to put on the road, and even more if you plan on an automatic transmission, black pack, etc. the C8 corvette includes all this tech and then some for less money, and as a hard top convertible no less. The chip availability issue is real, but these are commodity items producing the same struggles for all manufacturers. It shouldn’t be used as an excuse. The primary difference between Lotus and GM is economies of scale, which some turn on its head to invoke an exclusivity argument for why lotus offers a less featured product at a higher price point. Sure, it will very likely be a better drivers car, but most customers will be getting their thrills on B roads, not a track, and will want their creature comforts and convenience features. And these people are who lotus needs. I think there is a muddled message coming out of lotus right now…..and one might suggest misaligned with their goal of needing to sell lots of these cars for at least a few years. Are they selling a super car?, a drivers car?, a grand touring type car? A daily driver with some luxury appointments? A sports car that is both special and accessible? When ones target is not clear to them among the many options, the shots they take have a high risk of missing their mark. Again, I’m excited about Emira, with only a few reservations, because I think I represent the market they are aiming for and the car ticks the boxes. But in using it as a daily, I want the convenience features too. Will I have to pay an additional $10K to get them? How much will people be willing to pay before they consider alternatives? I guess it depends on the goals of the buyer and what those alternatives might be. Lots to think about.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It was covered in the media release in the same terms as all the other features. So no indication it was standard or optional. By then saying the FE would be fully loaded it was implied it would include all options

The 2022 Cayman comes with front/rear parking sensors as standard. Adaptive cruise control and blind spot/lane change monitoring are cost options. The more sophisticated elements of ADAS aren’t available.

The Emira is a sports car and so is competing with the Cayman, C8, F-Type etc. So whilst not having ADAS included is disappointing it’s by no means standard in the segment. I guess by the time people can do own spec it will be an option.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Regards stuff not included, I really don't mind missing out on all this nannying stuff. I find most of it unusable on our congested roads in the UK anyway

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It was covered in the media release in the same terms as all the other features. So no indication it was standard or optional. By then saying the FE would be fully loaded it was implied it would include all options

The 2022 Cayman comes with front/rear parking sensors as standard. Adaptive cruise control and blind spot/lane change monitoring are cost options. The more sophisticated elements of ADAS aren’t available.

The Emira is a sports car and so is competing with the Cayman, C8, F-Type etc. So whilst not having ADAS included is disappointing it’s by no means standard in the segment. I guess by the time people can do own spec it will be an option.

When you spec up a Cayman GT4 to the same levels of the Emira V6 FE with an auto box the GT4 is £83k and you'll struggle to get on the list for a GT4. The GTS 4.0 is a closer more available comparison and comes in under the Emira when you specced it up but equally almost non of the FE things come as standard on a Cayman you'd actually want. Folding electric mirrors are an option on a £65k Porsche, go figure but Porsche know at that price point people will pay for those things and make a £65k car £75k in no time.
I agree with most folk though I won't miss any of the ADAS stuff.

Last edited:

Lotushavefun

Reaction score
Lotus keeps mentioning they designed the car to be driven daily. With that said most (if not all) future cars have at least added Adaptec cruise control. Having that in a real world daily traffic setting does help. However full ADAS would be deeply appreciated!👍