Why did Lotus not equip the Emira with a front bumper camera ?

BWS

Reaction score
Hello all,
In Sept 2022 I travelled from my home in Toronto Canada to Europe to visit friends in France but before I arrived I took a bit of a 2 day side trip to Hethel and track drove and toured the factory.
It was amazing but I asked the question “ why not have a front facing bumper camera ? “ the sensors are not enough to ensure that you do not bang into a parking curb and wreck the beautiful lower lip on the front end.

I own a 2018 Mercedes E400 and I can tell you one of the best features of the car is the 360 cameras and in 5 yrs of ownership I have never scratched the front or suffered curb damage to the wheels.

Given the electronics and rear camera adding a front camera would be an absolute NO BRAINER…… who do we have to reach at the factory HQ to make this happen ?

Come on Lotus, Geely owns you, a percentage of Mercedes Benz and Volvo and you do not want to give us owners the best protection to banging our beautiful front ends on our Emira as we cannot see.

This is a joke !

I just placed an order for an Emira delivery either late 2024 or spring 2025 delivery to my local Lotus dealer in Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Cheers to you all
Regards
Brett

Attachments

• IMG_7273.jpeg
    IMG_7273.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5802.jpeg
    IMG_5802.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4542.jpeg
    IMG_4542.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 50

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hello DerTheDer,
Do presently drive an Emira ?
I do not, although I did place a order many years ago and I am eagerly awaiting. I have had vehicles with rhe surround cameras and they are great.

JCOz

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi BWS

Congrats on placing your order.

You have probably read all the issues etc but the car is a great drive!

Agree, front cameras would have been nice but,

Having driven a FEV6 for the bulk of this year both on the road and on track the front-end visibility is so good that the need for front cameras is really not necessary.

The ability to place the car is very easy so I don't think you'll miss the cameras.

Last edited:
OP
B

BWS

Reaction score
Hi BWS

Congrats on placing your order.

You have probably read all the issues etc but the car is a great drive!

Agree, front cameras would have been nice but,

Having driven a FEV6 for the bulk of this year both on the road and on track the front-end visibility is so good that the need for front cameras is really not necessary.

The ability to place the car is very easy so I don't think you'll miss the cameras.
Hi JCOz,
Thanks for your reply .
Are you located in Australia and drive an Emira?
I see the of issues really as growing pains for this new car even though there is a lot of past Evora in it ( correct me please if I am wrong)
To give you some background , I have been for approx, 25 years a Porsche 911 1998 Carrera 2S driver ( it was an awesome car ). I chose to sell the 911 to a collector for money which I could not refuse and then I heard about the coming Emira.
The dealers here in Canada were all excited but no cars , so I decided to sign up for the track drive & factory tour of Hethel in Sept 2022.
It was actually more of me saying to myself., “ the car looks good but what about the true fit and feel at half the price of a new 992 GT3 Touring”…… I can tell you that after 2 days in the factory and track this car is the real deal !
Yeah there will be growing pains but all companies get it.

On the topic of the front camera even if the factory does not add it , I will plan to add one after market as it is still very nice to have.
Anyways my spec Emira in Dark Verdant with tan interior , silver rims , red calipers deposit was made Oct 12/23 and they tell me at the Oakville dealer close to my home that the wait will be about 12 - 16 months .
Best Regards
Brett

OP
B

BWS

Reaction score
I do not, although I did place an order many years ago and I am eagerly awaiting. I have had vehicles with rhe surround cameras and they are great.
Hi DerTheDer,
Thanks for your reply.
Can you share what had been your journey on the Emira and how you came to your decision to order one, as I am curious on the form members opinion of the Emira.

All hail to one of the last great ICE sports cars !
Best Regards !
BWS

JCOz

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi JCOz,
Thanks for your reply .
Are you located in Australia and drive an Emira?
I see the of issues really as growing pains for this new car even though there is a lot of past Evora in it ( correct me please if I am wrong)
To give you some background , I have been for approx, 25 years a Porsche 911 1998 Carrera 2S driver ( it was an awesome car ). I chose to sell the 911 to a collector for money which I could not refuse and then I heard about the coming Emira.
The dealers here in Canada were all excited but no cars , so I decided to sign up for the track drive & factory tour of Hethel in Sept 2022.
It was actually more of me saying to myself., “ the car looks good but what about the true fit and feel at half the price of a new 992 GT3 Touring”…… I can tell you that after 2 days in the factory and track this car is the real deal !
Yeah there will be growing pains but all companies get it.

On the topic of the front camera even if the factory does not add it , I will plan to add one after market as it is still very nice to have.
Anyways my spec Emira in Dark Verdant with tan interior , silver rims , red calipers deposit was made Oct 12/23 and they tell me at the Oakville dealer close to my home that the wait will be about 12 - 16 months .
Best Regards
Brett
Hi Brett

Yes, I am in Sydney and picked up my FEV6 manual in Feb 2023.

It was almost a 2 year wait since I paid the first holding deposit.

Your spec is identical to mine - the picture I use for my "avatar" is my actual car.

I agree with everything you have said having owned a 996 C4S, 997 S, macan, cayenne s, AMG's each has had issues that were rectified by the local dealer.

Lotus's problem seems to be that the local dealers are all new to the Emria and don't have solutions or parts.

The Emira is a great drive, especially on the track much more engaging than standard P Cars.

I hope yours arrives as scheduled so you can enjoy it.

Jon

OP
B

BWS

Reaction score
Hi Jon,
During my Sept 2022 two day visit to Hethel for factory tour + track driving , I got up close to all the colours and combinations of wheels, brakes and interiors and fell in love with Dark Verdant with tan interior spec !

It’s funny as back in Canada the dealers in my country and USA had really zero info so the factory visit was actually to let the Emira prove to a 25 yr Porsche driver that it was the real deal….. and YES it is indeed.

I even managed to convince the factory staff to show me how to perform an oil change as my home garage has a car lift do that I can store my sports car above my regular cars .

My true man cave 👍🏼

Let’s stay in touch as I am very interested how your car ( and others) service snd age.

I cross my fingers to see my EMIRAAH ( custom lic plate I also ordered )
Best Regards
Brett

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 67365781751__45F8DAF3-E166-436F-95A1-87BBF926EBEC.jpeg
    67365781751__45F8DAF3-E166-436F-95A1-87BBF926EBEC.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6282.jpeg
    IMG_6282.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6281.jpeg
    IMG_6281.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Fil
OP
B

BWS

Reaction score
Hi Jon,
During my Sept 2022 two day visit to Hethel for factory tour + track driving , I got up close to all the colours and combinations of wheels, brakes and interiors and fell in love with Dark Verdant with tan interior spec !

It’s funny as back in Canada the dealers in my country and USA had really zero info so the factory visit was actually to let the Emira prove to a 25 yr Porsche driver that it was the real deal….. and YES it is indeed.

I even managed to convince the factory staff to show me how to perform an oil change as my home garage has a car lift do that I can store my sports car above my regular cars .

My true man cave 👍🏼

Let’s stay in touch as I am very interested how your car ( and others) service snd age.

I cross my fingers to see my EMIRAAH ( custom lic plate I also ordered )
Best Regards
Brett
Ps ….., to all Emira forumers ….. the race deck flooring tiles are awesome in the garage !

Moparman

Reaction score
Hello all,
In Sept 2022 I travelled from my home in Toronto Canada to Europe to visit friends in France but before I arrived I took a bit of a 2 day side trip to Hethel and track drove and toured the factory.
It was amazing but I asked the question “ why not have a front facing bumper camera ? “ the sensors are not enough to ensure that you do not bang into a parking curb and wreck the beautiful lower lip on the front end.

I own a 2018 Mercedes E400 and I can tell you one of the best features of the car is the 360 cameras and in 5 yrs of ownership I have never scratched the front or suffered curb damage to the wheels.

Given the electronics and rear camera adding a front camera would be an absolute NO BRAINER…… who do we have to reach at the factory HQ to make this happen ?

Come on Lotus, Geely owns you, a percentage of Mercedes Benz and Volvo and you do not want to give us owners the best protection to banging our beautiful front ends on our Emira as we cannot see.

This is a joke !

I just placed an order for an Emira delivery either late 2024 or spring 2025 delivery to my local Lotus dealer in Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Cheers to you all
Regards
Brett
Did the Oakville dealership give any indication of the price of the Basic (assuming there won't be an FE's at that time)?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Did the Oakville dealership give any indication of the price of the Basic (assuming there won't be an FE's at that time)?
That info is not released yet. No one knows. People on this board would also know earlier than the dealers, most likely.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just buy a set of curb feelers and attach them to the front bumper !!

Attachments

• IMG_9270.jpeg
    IMG_9270.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9269.jpeg
    IMG_9269.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 37

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Front bumper / 360 camera would have been a cool feature, but it would add additional cost and complexity. The front sight line over the hood is spectacular and the dimensions are compact so it seems superfluous.

JCOz

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi BWS

Awesome that you could visit the factory.

The Dark Verdant looks sooo much better in the flesh and in sunlight.

The Dealer in Sydney was surprised when mine arrived as it looks so different in photos etc.

I have my second track night tomorrow (Tue 24th) at Sydney Motorsport Park !