• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What Car Audio

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
KEF's Uni-Q technology is not new. First introduced in the 80's, this technology has been through several evolutions and still prevails to this day. I have owned KEF's Q55 floor standing speakers in the late 90's, and they weren't bad, but no where near the performance (in terms of resolution, detail and articulation) as some others I have heard such as the ProAc Response D25 or D30RS, which, to me, are very musical, but of course they are at a very different price point.

The evolution of the Uni-Q driver is quite well explained here: Uni-Q® Technology

The Q55's were Generation 4, so it will be interesting to see and hear how the latest generation (12 or later) sounds like, albeit this will be whilst sitting inside a car as opposed to inside one's home that has all manner of acoustic challenges (room modes, standing waves and reflections) that can cause distortion, which can affect what you actually hear vs what is possible in a perfect setting.

For those who are into pursuing perfect sound, eradicating or minimising room modes can be an all consuming journey...

Having said that I for one am looking forward to seeing how KEF's first venture into car audio goes, and hope Lotus, KEF, and Geely make it work. (y)

Last edited:

TRX250EX

Reaction score
The brand name doesn't matter, what matters is the placement of speakers/quality of speakers/tuning/some other factors also like road/wind noise... So even best sports car sound systems I give them 7/10 for that.

Now as an owner of KEF home theater for over 10 years been their customers I can say Uni-Q is a big step up in cars since small space will benefit from the wider soundstage these offers, but what I have makes even the Brumester in my father new S class garbage, so can't judge how KEF will be on a car...... I don't have high hopes for Emira but I do for Type 132 if they do go for KEF, they can do wonders in a silent electric SUV at that size!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The brand name doesn't matter, what matters is the placement of speakers/quality of speakers/tuning/some other factors also like road/wind noise... So even best sports car sound systems I give them 7/10 for that.

Russell Carr did mention the Emira is supposed to be quieter than previous Lotus models so we can hear the stereo better.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Behind the seats, in the side plastic trim, from memory (this was covered in a bit of detail on one of the other Lotus forums).
I saw in some videos what looked like speaker covers on the side below the rear side window… can’t drive 55😊😊

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I saw in some videos what looked like speaker covers on the side below the rear side window… can’t drive 55😊😊

Here:
IMG_7624.JPG

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think it's fair to say that KEF is a step on from HK. Like Porsche is a step on from Lotus 😘😇
I had a Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system in my Range Rover and it sounded great. Mind you it was a big old cabin and there were speakers all over the place. If Emira gets even close I will be impressed.