What Car Audio

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So ok not every ones topic or worry.... after all we all buying the car for its driving prowess, but it does have a HIFI and something has been made of the connection to KEF and the UNI QUI driver/speaker units.... not new tech to KEF, but new in a car. KEF dont make amps, and setting up 10 speakers in a car takes some skill and kit to get it right, all I have been able to find is the system has an air sub... ? what that is.... I am unsure of,

I would like to find ok whos amps have they used,how much power, how many amps if there are cross overs etc. Was the systen tuned in house or did they get someone in from somewhere like Cambridge Audio/Harmon Kardon

I know normaly Lotus and high end audio have not normaly been bead fellows, but Lotus have made something of this partnership, do the componants stand up

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Great topic keen to find out myself how good the KEF system sounds. There isn’t much in the public domain about the system, apart from it’s a different approach.

Last edited:
OP
andrew6382

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Great topic keen to find out myself how good the KEF system sounds. There is my much in the public domain about the system, apart from it’s a different approach.
I have not been able to find much details, plenty telling me about the partnership, no detail on parts, amp ... power output.... ratings etc

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting.. Looks like an intake and subwoofer merged. Any idea where this is going to be located in the Emira? Is it behind that center grill on the dash near the windshield?
Behind the seats, in the side plastic trim, from memory (this was covered in a bit of detail on one of the other Lotus forums).

OP
andrew6382

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Behind the seats, in the side plastic trim, from memory (this was covered in a bit of detail on one of the other Lotus forums).
Behind or under the seats has both been done, but can not find out much more....

OP
andrew6382

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That’s a shame as my E93 M3 HK system is excellent.
Yep the HK system in my 840D was plenty good, it inspired me to upgrade my home HIFI system, Audio Vector Q5 speakers, even brought a new turntable and Arcam SA30... which HK and Arcam are part of the same company now

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Behind or under the seats has both been done, but can not find out much more....

I remember it was confirmed to be the same general location as the sub in the Evora, which is on the side wall/corner behind the passenger side if the car for US cars.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That sub stuff is very clever. If the claims for c. 10x higher SPL than normal subs stand up it's going to be very interesting in such a small cabin. I just put an audison system around the same power in my yaris with a sub and it's more than loud enough (granted I am somewhat older than when I had two 12" subs in my old mini.)

Anyway, I don't doubt Kef will have done enough R&D and got the tech side of things right. But I do hope they've properly tested it in a car, considered acoustic deadening requirements, etc. Makes so much difference.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
KEF is a very decent audio manufacturer with something to prove in the car audio space so i reckon it will be great. Also it's a UK brand which suits the package.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It was interesting to read about how light weight and efficient the sub is. Combined with KEF audio technology (which is definitely high-end), this may sound fantastic. Wouldn't it be a kick if it turns out the Emira with the KEF system has stunning, industry-leading audio too. That's the kind of thing car reviewers wouldn't be expecting or looking for.

After looking at that link to Bluacs about the sub, I thought the section on in-air noise distortion cancelling was very interesting too. I wonder if this could be used to control NVH in a car interior, especially road rumble or tire noise on the grooved concrete used on freeways here in the U.S.

Being somewhat of an audiophile, now I'm looking forward to hearing this system.

OP
andrew6382

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It was interesting to read about how light weight and efficient the sub is. Combined with KEF audio technology (which is definitely high-end), this may sound fantastic. Wouldn't it be a kick if it turns out the Emira with the KEF system has stunning, industry-leading audio too. That's the kind of thing car reviewers wouldn't be expecting or looking for.

After looking at that link to Bluacs about the sub, I thought the section on in-air noise distortion cancelling was very interesting too. I wonder if this could be used to control NVH in a car interior, especially road rumble or tire noise on the grooved concrete used on freeways here in the U.S.

Being somewhat of an audiophile, now I'm looking forward to hearing this system.
Hi yes could be very interesting and I hope KEF do them self proud, just interested whos DSP and amp they have used or designed there own or yes would be nice if they had used Audison. Had

AUDISON PRIMA FORZA AP F8.9 BIT 24V TRUCK 8 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER DSP 1040W RM

and speakers in my Boxster, nice kit when tuned

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
OP
andrew6382

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Hi thanks for sharing... when I read it, it has no detail about the amp or dsp used :)