*waves hand* This is not the red you’re looking for…

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
8A7B7A3A-667E-493C-808E-60526D68C8FB.jpeg
82D837C2-A58C-4A50-A693-AEDF6F6E799D.jpeg
C84C0352-1522-4FE7-A523-9DFC277528BB.jpeg
C1FF1987-9CD2-4572-B700-3C57FFD0F2F1.jpeg
624896BC-917F-45A8-BDC1-C8E0B049FCD6.jpeg

I took a trip to the Melbourne dealer recently, specifically to see the magma red disk. These are photos which are outside, light cloud cover, midday sun.

Waaaay darker than expected, with no warm undertones. Frankly, not very appealing. I’m a bit disappointed. Previous photos had shown it to be a lot more vibrant?

C1F19FE1-7D7E-4052-A044-8DBBBB695F7D.jpeg
40DB1FDA-CD2E-4864-AA0A-A3281C4F2D34.jpeg
I also took a few shots of Mazda’s “soul red” in exactly the same conditions. So much nicer. Damn.

Soul Red Crystal is indeed a magnificent color. I’m looking forward to seeing actual cars in each color. Then maybe someone can park a soul red crystal Mazda next to a magma red lotus and we can finally have some resolution to this question.

Soul Red Crystal is indeed a magnificent color. I’m looking forward to seeing actual cars in each color. Then maybe someone can park a soul red crystal Mazda next to a magma red lotus and we can finally have some resolution to this question.
Real cars. Real Emira vehicles. I know what I’m gonna dream about tonight!

I dunno Mike… seeing the swatch and the Mazda next to each other highlighted the darkness and lack of depth in the Magma. I think a comparison would leave us wanting, unfortunately.

Mazda's soul red looks like it does not only because of the color itself, but the process. It is many thin layers of paint to create that wet look. It's gorgeous ...but also a nightmare to match should anything paint related happen.

I love the Magma Red Lotus has for the Emira!!! That will definitely be my pick!!

Mazda's soul red looks like it does not only because of the color itself, but the process. It is many thin layers of paint to create that wet look. It's gorgeous ...but also a nightmare to match should anything paint related happen.
There is a terrific you tube video showcasing the creation of soul red crystal. And yes, it is a process. But if Mazda can do it at a large scale, lotus should be able to as well. Not saying the color needs to be comparable (although I’d like that), but lotus should be able to create the same illusion of depth and vibrancy. Personally I’d rather have a color I’m excited by every day and risk having to match it than Get a lackluster color. Not saying hats what magma red is…I have no way of knowing. I’m crossing my fingers it’s awesome.

No one else thinks the red swatches are disappointing? I went in there with high hopes… now I’m Google searching vinyl wraps :-(

Yes I found magma red to be disappointing too! To be frank I could say the same for all the FE colours.

My opinion only of course -

Seneca - flat blue with minimal metallic. Vibrant but looks like blue plastic given the minimal fleck and won’t age well. (Like Porsche shark blue aka VW cornflower blue)
Nimbus - goldish creamy grey that looks conservative. Standard light silver please Lotus!
Magma - Average maroon that throws off brown in the shadows. Needs to be brighter with more red pigment.
Hethel - Flat mustard yellow. Needs less orange and should have some fleck to give it more light travel and show the contours.
Verdant - Nice but way too dark so the effect is lost without sunshine.
Shadow - throws a charcoal black so only lights up in strong light. A metallic gunmetal grey would have been much better.

Yes I found magma red to be disappointing too! To be frank I could say the same for all the FE colours.

My opinion only of course -

Seneca - flat blue with minimal metallic. Vibrant but looks like blue plastic given the minimal fleck and won’t age well. (Like Porsche shark blue aka VW cornflower blue)
Nimbus - goldish creamy grey that looks conservative. Standard light silver please Lotus!
Magma - Average maroon that throws off brown in the shadows. Needs to be brighter with more red pigment.
Hethel - Flat mustard yellow. Needs less orange and should have some fleck to give it more light travel and show the contours.
Verdant - Nice but way too dark so the effect is lost without sunshine.
Shadow - throws a charcoal black so only lights up in strong light. A metallic gunmetal grey would have been much better.
Last ICE car. Why not go with some of the best, most iconic, timeless Lotus colors?
Just sayin’…

I'm adding a ceramic coat plus a topper. This gives the paint more depth and wet tones. Something like NV Nova Evo then bead maker

Last ICE car. Why not go with some of the best, most iconic, timeless Lotus colors?
Just sayin’…

Indeed, last ICE car... So why not go with the best, most stunning and modern colours to complement the most stunning and modern Lotus ever! :)

Indeed, last ICE car... So why not go with the best, most stunning and modern colours to complement the most stunning and modern Lotus ever! :)
I agree. But I guess they are saving those for the Emira Final Edition ;)

… and this is Magma Red under the Florida sun.

Attachments

• F8DF8111-4AA1-4324-890E-62124AD83310.jpeg
    F8DF8111-4AA1-4324-890E-62124AD83310.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 122
Seneca Blue next to a Refraction Blue Supra. Seneca was just a bit darker and had more flakes. In certain angles, both looked very similar.

Attachments

• 9B059939-ABB4-4935-92A9-51BD1260C34B.jpeg
    9B059939-ABB4-4935-92A9-51BD1260C34B.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 125
This is what I wanted Magma Red to look like (McLaren's Volcano Red).. a deep red with orange tones (i.e. lava or magma).

Used-2018-McLaren-720S-Performance.jpg
Subtle hint there… Magma may need to or should look like, well, magma…

Imagine being in that room (or Zoom call)…

OK, we got those all out of the way. Man Nimbus was a good call team. Way to go Sam!

Yeah. Took us 3 hours for Seneca but Pat really stepped up.

OK, this one should be easy. Red…

Let’s call it Magma! OK, well it is lunch time and Friday… All in favor? OK. Magma it is. Way to go Alex!

Back