vs Cayman GT4 RS - Competition?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
To be fair - what a car!!

IF one coujld get it for list at £108k then yes, it has to be a contender for anyone's money buy I suspect these will not be buyable for you and me for less than about £200K on release. 😒

Competition. Well, not really. This is faster and more track orientated.

What it does do is make the Emira look great value again.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not a good start for Porsche. The check engine light is already on in the AutoTrader review. :D

I'm sure the car is fantastic, but I really do wonder about the maintenance costs. And those centrelock wheels, no thanks! I don't want to replace rims (esp. magnesium rims), centrelock bearings, hubs and wheel carrier mechanisms as "wear and tear" or service items.

gt4-rs-engine-light.png

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not a good start for Porsche. The check engine light is already on in the AutoTrader review. :D

I'm sure the car is fantastic, but I really do wonder about the maintenance costs. And those centrelock wheels, no thanks! I don't want to replace rims (esp. magnesium rims), centrelock bearings, hubs and wheel carrier mechanisms as "wear and tear" or service items.

View attachment 4068
The New Topgear review that went on youtube this morning says this is the best sounding car ever.

Now thats some statement.

Anyway let's not get to excited as non of us including long term Porsche car buyers like me can have one anyway.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The New Topgear review that went on youtube this morning says this is the best sounding car ever.

Anyway let's not get to excited as non of us including long term Porsche car buyers like me can have one anyway.
I wonder why Porsche limits these kind of cars when they could sell more of them to ordinary buyers. I still don't, in my eyes, think it is a pretty as an Emira.

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I wonder why Porsche limits these kind of cars when they could sell more of them to ordinary buyers. I still don't, in my eyes, think it is a pretty as an Emira.
The same reason Ferrari limit the number of cars this manufacture per annum. To drive more brand value, equity and desirability. Hence, why Porsche residuals are so strong on their GT and RS cars.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Speak for yourself 🙂

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
While interesting reviews, these cars are Unobtanium for anyone who didn't put down a deposit long ago, is willing to pay a $100K ADM and/or routinely buys multiple Porsche's every year.

I also don't think anyone would be legitimately cross shopping this with the Emira. However, I could see a number of well off, well connected enthusiasts getting both. I don't see anyone who can legitimately acquire a GT4RS passing on that opportunity to buy an Emira.

To be brutally honest, while I own and love my 718 Spyder, appreciate the GT4RS and am quite excited about the Emira reservation all of them would be on the table if I could score an allocation, at MSRP, for the 992 GT3 Touring.

Last edited:

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No indication of how compliant it is on the road. I expect it's bone shattering as most RS cars reportedly are.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
No indication of how compliant it is on the road. I expect it's bone shattering as most RS cars reportedly are.
Reportedly quite good actually. One of the reviews - carfection I think - was a pure road test.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Reportedly quite good actually. One of the reviews - carfection I think - was a pure road test.
You are right. Catchpole was impressed with its road compliancy (for what the car is). In any case, let's be honest with ourselves. You don't buy this type of car with anything but the track in mind. That would be like buying an Enzo and then being surprised you are at the fuel pump often.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

The GT4 RS is not limited at this time. There is just a wait list and extreme dealer markup.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry but these cars are not even in the same universe.

Same universe, but not same class. I'd expect the Emira GT to go against the Cayman GT4 (maybe even the 4RS), but who knows. I just wish Lotus would test their damn cars on the Ring so we'd have apples to apples comparisons.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The GT4 RS is not limited at this time. There is just a wait list and extreme dealer markup.
From what I hear it'll only be in production for two years so whilst it's not a numbered limited edition it will be fairly limited as production numbers will be small.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Like Tony said this car is nowhere near the looks of the Emira so I’m happy with my now July delivery 😊

Although there will be many more Emira’s built the demand will be much much greater than that of the GT4 RS. I think people will be very surprised at the ridiculous re sale value of the Lotus Emira as 4,800 a year is simply not enough. 😊

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just wish Lotus would test their damn cars on the Ring so we'd have apples to apples comparisons.
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I'm glad they don't. Chasing 'Ring times has increased raw performance at the expense of the driver experience in a lot of these cars. I personally don't want a track car on the street, they become pretty seriously compromised in other settings and the owner has to really fully commit to the trade-off in suspension compliance and human comfort. It's to the point where one would likely need to apologize to their passenger if setting off together on a weekend journey that isn't specifically centered around a track day.

It's weird to think about , but we've reached a point where the base 911 Carrera (992) is probably genuinely more pleasing to drive in 99% of road scenarios (even in very fast back road driving) than any of the Porsche GT-series cars like the GT3.

Here are two YouTube videos that may provide some support for that wild claim.... one from Remove Before Race and the other from Harry's Garage. And even Harry found the base 911 somewhat compromised in comfort compared to what he would personally want in a road car. That's the Nürburgring chassis tuning coming through, and it's not always contributing positively on the road.

Last edited: