Track cars

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Last week I did a track day in a Ford Fiesta, followed by a Elise then formula Ford. I've also tried a track day in my F Type.
I had a professional driver with me which was great as you can chat about all sorts of things whilst waiting for your next drive. One of the topics was using road cars.... Ferraris or what ever on the track. Basically his view (and to be honest once id tried them, you can see his point) is if you like track then buy a dedicated track car as the difference and enjoyment is miles apart. The FF will lap a Ferrari in a couple of laps and would you really take your expensive car to the limit?. It could be a stripped out mini with all the conversion work. It needs o be light, fixable and not worth a fortune.
This is why I'm never a fan of track reviews and will base my decision on road reviews only.

jpizzle

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Last week I did a track day in a Ford Fiesta, followed by a Elise then formula Ford. I've also tried a track day in my F Type.
I had a professional driver with me which was great as you can chat about all sorts of things whilst waiting for your next drive. One of the topics was using road cars.... Ferraris or what ever on the track. Basically his view (and to be honest once id tried them, you can see his point) is if you like track then buy a dedicated track car as the difference and enjoyment is miles apart. The FF will lap a Ferrari in a couple of laps and would you really take your expensive car to the limit?. It could be a stripped out mini with all the conversion work. It needs o be light, fixable and not worth a fortune.
This is why I'm never a fan of track reviews and will base my decision on road reviews only.
I agree, not sure why everyone is so worried, the on road reviews are from good to great and unfortunately for me and 99% of customers our daily drive to and from work won’t be quite as eventful and testing on the Emira as a track. Will be interested to see what the V6 auto box reviews are as this is what I have gone for

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Agreed. But it’s also interesting to take your road car on track occasionally to explore how it handles in those conditions. It can give you a better appreciation of the car’s (and your own) capabilities, particularly if you get instruction.

But of course there’s the worry you’ll stick your pride and joy into a barrier.

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don't fully agree... whatever i'm driving on track or on street has to be something I actually like and enjoy driving. A ford fiesta would never ever be on that list and if it's lapping a ferrari (assuming a fast one haha) then that's a driver issue in most cases. Most people don't do enough track days to justify a dedicated track car either really....

I would 100% agree that most high end cars I see on track are underdriven to say the least and guessing that's due to the financial risk being higher too.

I find lap times useful when considering a new car, it's not the only aspect, but how fast it gets around the ring or VIR or whatever IS a valuable benchmark. I think the evo review though wasn't as useful even though I think a lot of his comments were accurate, having both cars on same tires doing timed laps is what would tell the story IMO. Cup 2's compensate for lack of static camber of an oem alignment a LOT.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'd further recommend everyone to get it on the track as soon as it is run in. You learn more about the car in one track day than 6 months of road driving. I take this mantra from sports bike riding where it can be a matter of saving your life but the principle is still sound if you intend to push the car illegally on the road,

I'd love an Exige too - for the track now I am down to the one Emira but I am sure the Emira will accomplish both jobs to my utter satisfaction.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Agreed, though I still plan to take my Emira around the track here and there! Why do you think there are so many Miatas, BRZs, and Hondas at track days? They're cheap to mod and maintain and super fun to throw around the track! I've owned a few vehicle over 400HP and was completely humbled when I took my stock 250HP VW GTI to the track for the first time. You don't need a ton of power or hundreds of thousands of dollars to enjoy track days and get your adrenaline pumping!

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm very excited - I passed my ARDS test today so got my Interclub (formerly National B) race licence!

Unfortunately I think I bought the wrong car... My Elise SC - which I adore on the track - puts out just over 240 bhp/ton, which makes it ineligible for the Elise Trophy or Lotus Cup UK, as well as any of the Trackday Trophy/Cup series :(

I'd hate to have to get rid of it for something slower.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts