Emotional vs Capability/Ability

d15b7

Reaction score
I’ve been reading (like everyone!) the explosion of threads. I think it’s important to know or understand that there are, I suppose, two different sorts of customers buying the Emira. Some (myself) are buying and planning use of the car as a 3rd or weekend or ‘take out and use for fun’ car. I will never drive this car into the city and park it and go to work. I won’t use it to commute anywhere. It (probably if I can help it) won’t see rain, much less snow. It’s something I want to use (as if almost a drug or treatment!) to make me feel good, and smile, and simply enjoy.

Others out there look to buy the car to run every day. Commuting, getting groceries, taking long road trips. I applaud you!

For me, what’s VERY important is to feel engaged and special and connected. What is of almost no value is how much storage is in the car, or if the infotainment is better than brand X, or if my 0-60 is worse by .5 secs or etc.

I’ve driven many many cars (I’m in the USA, and I’m a Driving Instructor for NASA and PCA and BMW and Lotus and AMG and others). In the recent past, I’ve driven (on track) a Cayman GT4, Shelby GT500 track pack, C8 Z51, Camaro ZL1 1LE, and a Shelby GT350. Want to know which I found the most fun and made me smile constantly? The GT350. And it was the slowest (well, I’d say it was tied for slowest with the GT4. I was within a tenth or two). Fastest was the ZL1 1LE and within a tenth was the GT500TP. The C8 Z51 was in the middle. The one I liked the least? GT500TP. Even though it was fastest in a straight line and had incredible DCT and all that. The C8 Z51 I felt was by far the best car for the money, but with no manual option and a bit soulless. Comparing what you got and how it performed it was hands down the bargain. BUT - it didn’t stir my soul like the GT350 did.

But remember I’m an emotional buyer! So after all that, what did I buy? The ZL1 1LE. Because it did stir me (not as much as the GT350, but the ZL1 1LE has a heck of a presence about it), but it also is bulletproof (the 5.2 Voodoo is fragile!) and it’s performance was phenomenal. So I ‘settled’ on the most emotion and most reliable for reasonable sum.

Why am I buying the Emira too? Because it’ll fill up the rest of that emotional hole !

I guess very long winded, but we need some reviews out there that forgo more of the raw numbers stuff and capability stuff and expand more on ‘I’d buy it cause it makes me FEEL’. Then the emotional buyers could watch those (good or bad) and the performance/capability buyers could decide by watching the others.

Oh and the GT4 wasn’t even close to making it into my garage. Too sterile to bland not much soul (made me feel similar to the C8 Z51 but it was not as fast as the C8)

Last edited:

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That first paragraph is exactly me and many others on here.
I was upset personally with many of the reviews but that is emotional me being over optimistic.

I fully expect to feel magnificent driving it when I get the chance. 3rd car for me too, never mind the motorcycles.

The Cayman looks so crap, to me, that I would not now get as far as the door in the first place,

old dusty

Reaction score
That first paragraph is exactly me and many others on here.
I was upset personally with many of the reviews but that is emotional me being over optimistic.

I fully expect to feel magnificent driving it when I get the chance. 3rd car for me too, never mind the motorcycles.

The Cayman looks so crap, to me, that I would not now get as far as the door in the first place,
I would also count myself as someone looking for the car to stir emotions and make me smile. Not smugly because I "own" it - but because the car is saying something to me that sparks that child like glee. I hope to track it a couple times a year but I won't give a damn about lap times - just a chance to stretch its legs in a manner you can't do on the road. There are no prizes or trophies for owning a road car - only the feeling you get alone while driving it. While I also wanted to have the reviewers rave over the car - I think car reviewers want to be analytical and unbiased and that, in itself, doesn't allow them to comment on the character of the car. Harry seemed to get closest to that in his review and I truly respect him but it is fair to say that as he has one on order that his review may be slanted towards loving it. But the smile on his face and his comments were enough to reassure me that I am not making a mistake. I don't necessarily want a car that is a technical marvel or blindingly fast or effortlessly capable - I want a car that I long to drive because - together - it makes me feel awesome. I know the Porsche won't do that for me - I think/hope the Emira does.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
We all, in some way, downplay Harry's review, "well since he is getting one" or "since he has another lotus in the garage and just not long ago sold his Esprit, which he loved too", I do it too, but in reality it should be the opposite!
We are all in the same boat as Harry, None of us are in the same boat as the guy from Evo, whatever boat that is. We, like Harry, are getting one, or at least we were.... So shouldnt his review ultimately be the most important....
He and we all want Lotus to succeed, we all want a fun car, we all want to see we have not made a terrible mistake. If Harry, and I am sure Shixxxxy shimmeee, also, love the car, then we should too! Its that simple...
having said that, ..... we dont want to be conned, we dont want to be told performance figures that are way off... I can take 0-60 in 4.5 if they tell us 4.3.... but I cant take 5.3... I can take its close to a GTS Cayman, but I cant take its more like a hyundai coupe from the 1990s and I hate to say it, but I had a company one.. hah
There is no simple black and white here, I want Lotus to be honest and come out and give us the final car.... and say what it can do. 6800 red line or 7000, 4.1 or 5 seconds, ..... finish the job and let us make out own minds up. Stop blundering, get the software to version 6 and lets see... the truth. Im confident and happy anyway, but would still like to know the truth

I am off to play padel

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great point. Harry is probably the only reviewer to show the emotional reaction to the car - particularly raving about the cornering while in the middle of a list of the negatives!

To paraphrase what I said to Speedluvver when he was thinking about switching from i4 to V6: buy the car that you will yearn to drive when you’re not driving it. It’s that simple.

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you! The Emira ticks all the boxes for me and I know I'll be excited owning and driving mine. I've spent countless hours on this forum and other Emira related sites researching and engaging with other enthusiasts. It's been a great experience this past year and I haven't even gotten the car yet!

Greenblood

Reaction score
I’ve been reading (like everyone!) the explosion of threads. I think it’s important to know or understand that there are, I suppose, two different sorts of customers buying the Emira. Some (myself) are buying and planning use of the car as a 3rd or weekend or ‘take out and use for fun’ car. I will never drive this car into the city and park it and go to work. I won’t use it to commute anywhere. It (probably if I can help it) won’t see rain, much less snow. It’s something I want to use (as if almost a drug or treatment!) to make me feel good, and smile, and simply enjoy.
I don't know if I fit in the "two different sorts" I am looking for something that is fun and engaging to drive without being a race car, mainly a weekend car and longer road trips, I need it to fill the void of a sports bike when I can't ride one anymore ( it's getting closer than I like ). Not being a previous Lotus owner I don't know what to expect, my current daily drive is a 2013 BRZ and I think it's a fun car but am looking at something more upmarket but can't justify the Cayman prices in OZ ( I specked up a GTS and was looking at $210K! ) so I hope it hits the spot for me, am not worried about the reviews.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't know if I fit in the "two different sorts" I am looking for something that is fun and engaging to drive without being a race car, mainly a weekend car and longer road trips, I need it to fill the void of a sports bike when I can't ride one anymore ( it's getting closer than I like ). Not being a previous Lotus owner I don't know what to expect, my current daily drive is a 2013 BRZ and I think it's a fun car but am looking at something more upmarket but can't justify the Cayman prices in OZ ( I specked up a GTS and was looking at $210K! ) so I hope it hits the spot for me, am not worried about the reviews.
And Porsche prices in OZ have just gone up another 5+%

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
We need track times. Plain and simple. All this talk about grip, steering, gearbox... we need V6 Manual, V6 Auto, and I4 DCT track times compared to other cars. This will give us the bottom line.
I disagree. Track times are useful as one set of measures but they're not going to help us understand why two different professional car journalists have different impressions of the same car (literally the same car in several cases, as only about 4 cars have been used for all the press).

Lotus have already said the V6 FE Emira is faster than all except 1-2 variants of the outgoing Exige round Hethel. On paper it shouldn't lap that quick when its heavier and down on power compared to the outgoing Evora. But the wider front track and new suspension and better aero seem to have more than offset that.

If the Stig drives the Emira round the Top Gear track, if it is quicker or slower than the Cayman and/or Alpine then will that be a major factor in your buying decision? I think for most people it will be only a minor factor, if it's a factor at all.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I disagree. Track times are useful as one set of measures but they're not going to help us understand why two different professional car journalists have different impressions of the same car (literally the same car in several cases, as only about 4 cars have been used for all the press).

Lotus have already said the V6 FE Emira is faster than all except 1-2 variants of the outgoing Exige round Hethel. On paper it shouldn't lap that quick when its heavier and down on power compared to the outgoing Evora. But the wider front track and new suspension and better aero seem to have more than offset that.

If the Stig drives the Emira round the Top Gear track, if it is quicker or slower than the Cayman and/or Alpine then will that be a major factor in your buying decision? I think for most people it will be only a minor factor, if it's a factor at all.
To be fair, Lotus has said a lot of things that have been shown otherwise. So I am very much interested in seeing comparisons between Emira vs previous Lotus cars.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

I totally disagree. In my opinion journalists are trying to place the car in its hierarchy. And since it's an Emira, from the legendary handling experts Lotus, they all seem to be too dramatic in their impressions. Hence the differing impressions. Track times will force them to explain what the car actually is and what it can do. Track times are meaningless to me and I agree with you a minor or no factor at all to most. This is they only rationale I can produce for why professional journalists are all over the place exacerbating nuance.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
To be fair, Lotus has said a lot of things that have been shown otherwise. So I am very much interested in seeing comparisons between Emira vs previous Lotus cars.
THIS
Reading current reviews I'm unsure how it can be faster than the Exige and it really should be faster than an Evora 410.
I'm over what Lotus are telling me I'm going to get. I want cold hard facts now.

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You are so right in terms of different perspectives for different drivers.
In my case the Emira is intended to be my daily driver...as I want to enjoy my driving every single day (and I live in the countryside, so even the commute to the train station is a lovely British B road)
I am now pondering an Eletre to replace the Velar as the family runabout
And for those extra special weekend drives and track days I am tempted to go old school Lotus with an Exige, or perhaps an Atom.

For what I am looking for I think the Emira is still ticking every box.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For what I am looking for I think the Emira is still ticking every box.
Me too - though I appreciate others are in a different position.

Umm. Yes please. I would be happy getting an Eletre, Exige 430 Cup (track) along with the Emira. I would happily swap out the Bentley and C63.

I did show the missus the Eletre - she was okay with it, which is actually a win, as she is no petrol or electro head.

I spoke with Lotus Customer Service and asked them to move my second Emira deposit to it but assure me that, as my deposit was placed 13 months ago, that I will be near the top of the Eletre queue.
They could not switch the deposit - I asked twice on 2 different occasions.
I was a bit pissed off and just asked for the deposit to be returned. £100K lost sale right there.

Ayway, back on subject.

I would say I buy on 90% emotion, 10% capability though I only ever look at capable cars.

I had a mint low mileage Integrale Evo 2 in yellow... not fast but WOW - what a freaking capable car the my emotion with it was borderline infatuation.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Me too - though I appreciate others are in a different position.

Umm. Yes please. I would be happy getting an Eletre, Exige 430 Cup (track) along with the Emira. I would happily swap out the Bentley and C63.

I did show the missus the Eletre - she was okay with it, which is actually a win, as she is no petrol or electro head.

I spoke with Lotus Customer Service and asked them to move my second Emira deposit to it but assure me that, as my deposit was placed 13 months ago, that I will be near the top of the Eletre queue.
They could not switch the deposit - I asked twice on 2 different occasions.
I was a bit pissed off and just asked for the deposit to be returned. £100K lost sale right there.

Ayway, back on subject.

I would say I buy on 90% emotion, 10% capability though I only ever look at capable cars.

I had a mint low mileage Integrale Evo 2 in yellow... not fast but WOW - what a freaking capable car the my emotion with it was borderline infatuation.
Hmm that makes no sense. If you wanted to move your deposit and Lotus couldn't do it in their systems then get a refund then place a deposit on the Eletre.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hmm that makes no sense. If you wanted to move your deposit and Lotus couldn't do it in their systems then get a refund then place a deposit on the Eletre.

Well, I was only half-keen. Keen enough to transfer the 5K over though.
I didn't want to go to the end of the queue and hoped they would just switch it in the database. The lack of flexibility just annoyed me so I just asked for the 5K back, which I have now got, and this gives me more time to reflect and consider other EVs.

I still love the look and purpose of the Eletre but will take a good look at what is coming up at Electric Avenue at Goodwood later this month.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think if the missus LOVED it, which was always unlikely, then it might have made me just order it fresh. It was an 'in the moment' sort of reaction.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For me, it’s a mixture of both. There’s lots of emotion in the design and underpinning to make me want to buy the Emira in the first place, and also enough modern tech to make it feeling fresh on the road. I never track so it must perform as a road car on long road trips. Been to Swiss Alps and Austrian Alps in my camper, so must be amazing in the Emira. I do lots of trips in Scotland, so B roads and fast A roads capability is a must. One final point is that my wife have to agree to come along in the car, so there has to be degree of refinement as she’s not a petrolhead. She doesn’t get loud exhaust notes and hard suspensions…… even though her father is a proper petrolhead and a lotus nut.

So naturally i4 AMG tour it is for me.