Touring vs Sport suspension

• Touring

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Sport

Votes: 63 44.1%

• Total voters

Andy

Reaction score
I'm currently pondering what suspension set up to go for.
Currently leaning towards the Sports set up as the Emira will not be a daily driver, but a little concerned it might by too stiff?
I had a Focus RS and when put in track mode, the suspension stiffened by 30% and was unbearable on the road.
Just want to gauge other peoples choice / opinion.
Just drove an Evora which i was told by the salesperson that the set up in it will be similar to the Emira in Sport suspension, which was fine for what i use it for but going for the Goodyear tyres as it will not be tracked regularly

firstlotus

Reaction score
Many other sports cars and super cars have an optional sports suspension. Lotus have explained why Touring and Sports are being offered and what they recommend for different uses.

Lotus are ride and handling experts. They’re confident they can set up a great handling car without needing a way of switching the suspension into different modes. The fundamental differences between a road and track setup are covered by different springs and dampers, not electronics. And the road/touring setup will still be very competent on track.

There’s no need for a front lift if the approach angle means the nose doesn’t scrape on a speed bump.
Don't know about the speed bumps in the UK, but in the US they are not all alike, very different everywhere you go, and I would not want to be near you when you hit the front splitter on a parking curb and start crying... I would pay for an electric lift in a second because to repair your splitter is not going to be cheap, DOUBLE the cost of the lift option...EACH TIME YOU DO IT...LOL...

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Don't know about the speed bumps in the UK, but in the US they are not all alike, very different everywhere you go, and I would not want to be near you when you hit the front splitter on a parking curb and start crying... I would pay for an electric lift in a second because to repair your splitter is not going to be cheap, DOUBLE the cost of the lift option...EACH TIME YOU DO IT...LOL...
Agreed. I am actually worried about this. In our current nanny state not only are these things are everywhere, but it’s like they are in a pitched battle with drivers, becoming ever more obtrusive and bringing car after car to a near standstill as they try to get over them. SUV people may not care, but when your front end is 6 inches from the ground it’s an assault. Why not just hold people accountable for driving recklessly instead of punishing everyone? Since that is unlikely to happen in the current political climate I’d love the option of a lift.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Playing with the configurator this morning before making the 3k payment and still agonising about the Touring/Sports choice. The Lotus engineer I spoke to at Parks (can't remember his name but it wasn't Gav the Man :) ) advised that the ride with Sports setup is similar to the Evora 410 and better than an Exige V6, which is exactly what I am after - taught, responsive but ride still acceptable for road use. However I noticed a comment above about Sports being slightly firmer than an Evora 410 which gives me pause for thought, and also Gav's comments to Tom E about Sports being a compromise for road use and Touring suiting most people. For my tastes the Evora Sport 410 was bang on for road use, not really a compromise. I do wonder though if Gav has an eye on the wider market for the Emira in saying this. Lotus enthusiasts coming from an Exige or Evora 410 will be used to a pretty taught set up, people coming from other marques perhaps less so. Thoughts anyone?

Also for those of us reasonably early in the queue (with a deposit placed 7th July was told I was in the first 500), is there any chance we will get to read press reviews before having to make the final choice on spec?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Playing with the configurator this morning before making the 3k payment and still agonising about the Touring/Sports choice. The Lotus engineer I spoke to at Parks (can't remember his name but it wasn't Gav the Man :) ) advised that the ride with Sports setup is similar to the Evora 410 and better than an Exige V6, which is exactly what I am after - taught, responsive but ride still acceptable for road use. However I noticed a comment above about Sports being slightly firmer than an Evora 410 which gives me pause for thought, and also Gav's comments to Tom E about Sports being a compromise for road use and Touring suiting most people. For my tastes the Evora Sport 410 was bang on for road use, not really a compromise. I do wonder though if Gav has an eye on the wider market for the Emira in saying this. Lotus enthusiasts coming from an Exige or Evora 410 will be used to a pretty taught set up, people coming from other marques perhaps less so. Thoughts anyone?

Also for those of us reasonably early in the queue (with a deposit placed 7th July was told I was in the first 500), is there any chance we will get to read press reviews before having to make the final choice on spec?
I was getting stressed over this reading what I thought was conflicting advice from Gav, based on someone’s post on a FB group. On reflection I realise context is everything. Gav advised me based on my car history, local roads and driving style. This was backed up by one of his team and a very experienced person in the sales team who has driven both setups. They absolutely recommend Touring for me.

For others who have owned and enjoyed Evora Sport 410 or Exige, they are reckoning those drivers understand about the stiffer setup and hence are happy to recommend Sport for them.

For most people new to Lotus, unless you are looking for a very track-focused car or have excellent road surfaces or it’s a 2nd/weekend car then Touring is likely to be the better option.

Final choice on spec for early deposits is likely to be Dec, maybe Jan. Press cars are due in Feb, so published reviews in Mar. So unfortunately you’ll need to pick before the reviews. Or wait and slip down the queue a few weeks.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
For most people new to Lotus, unless you are looking for a very track-focused car or have excellent road surfaces or it’s a 2nd/weekend car then Touring is likely to be the better option.

This rationale is what made my mind up a couple weeks ago. After digesting all the suspension stuff it simply came down to the Emira won't be a daily, I want the most aggressive handling setup that Lotus makes. My winter wheels will run the Goodyear's so hopefully that will soften it up, if that's even needed.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have never driven any Lotus cars before. Do Evora’s with sportier suspension have a harsh ride? I don’t mind a firm suspension if that means less body roll. Any thoughts?

For reference, IMO, ride quality of a stock 2018 M3 competition with adaptive suspension and 20” wheels is harsh. Ride quality of a 991.2 GT3 with 20” wheels is not harsh.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The sports suspension is definitely stiffer. Not Exige-like stiffer and not teeth-rattling. Certainly less body roll.

It’ll depend on quality of road surfaces on your typical routes and your personal preference.

Lotus ride and handling setup is based around a very stiff chassis and therefore being able to make the suspension a bit more compliant. You get great steering feedback without it being crashy over bumps.

With Touring you’ll get enough body roll to be aware in your gut of the corner force and turn in characteristics. But as it rolls a bit then stiffens it’s not like it wallows on sharp or high speed corners. Sports is stiffer and hence much less roll.

If you can get the chance to drive similar Lotus cars that’ll help - Evora Series 1 and Sport 410 (GT in US) are close to Emira Touring and Sports, Exige is stiffer. It’s difficult to make comparisons to other brands as the Lotus ride and handling philosophy is different.

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My Evora 400 had better ride quality than quite a few so called exec saloons. The 410 I test drove was just a little stiffer but still a comfortable ride for a sports car.
As suggested ideally you need to take a ride out in an Evora.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was getting stressed over this reading what I thought was conflicting advice from Gav, based on someone’s post on a FB group. On reflection I realise context is everything. Gav advised me based on my car history, local roads and driving style. This was backed up by one of his team and a very experienced person in the sales team who has driven both setups. They absolutely recommend Touring for me.

For others who have owned and enjoyed Evora Sport 410 or Exige, they are reckoning those drivers understand about the stiffer setup and hence are happy to recommend Sport for them.

Final choice on spec for early deposits is likely to be Dec, maybe Jan. Press cars are due in Feb, so published reviews in Mar. So unfortunately you’ll need to pick before the reviews. Or wait and slip down the queue a few weeks.
Thanks Tom, yes context is important. I have owned 2 Exiges and have driven an Evora GT410 Sport back to back with an Evora 400. I preferred the sharper feel of the 410 Sport and for me it still flowed well enough on undulating surfaces, being firm but not crashy or harsh - it really comes down to personal preference. My concern really is that the Emira sport suspension might be a step on again from the 410 in stiffness. One thing I should have asked at the Roadshow but didn't is just how much firmer the Sport is compared to Touring. The configurator helpfully says 'slightly firmer'. It would be useful to know what this means in percentage terms of spring and damper rates - any idea? For comparison the Evora 410 Sport actually had the same springs as the 400 (although it was 70kg lighter effectively increasing the spring rate slightly), but firmer dampers and tweaked geo. Most of the contemporary reviews like this one https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lotus/evora/351841/lotus-evora-gt410-sport-2020-review comment that the setup still works well on the road.

Interesting that Lotus later backed off the stiffness of the Evora GT410 Sport to make the 'Popham' spec GT410, comparison here https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/lotus/evora/35-v6-410-2dr/first-drive . That came pretty late and I suspect few Evoras were sold in that spec.

SVMLH

Reaction score
I have never driven any Lotus cars before. Do Evora’s with sportier suspension have a harsh ride? I don’t mind a firm suspension if that means less body roll. Any thoughts?

For reference, IMO, ride quality of a stock 2018 M3 competition with adaptive suspension and 20” wheels is harsh. Ride quality of a 991.2 GT3 with 20” wheels is not harsh.
I also habe never driven any Lotus before. My current ride is a 2018 M4 Competition which I find to be not harsh even with 20s. I added the M adjustable performance springs to lower the weel gap and when driving in comfort mode I still do not too bumpy IMO …Maybe anyone can compare Lotus and BMW M damping in terms of harshness? While I do not track my cars, I don‘t want a „soft“ sportscar either…and would be dissapointed if it wouldn‘t feel sharp…

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My concern really is that the Emira sport suspension might be a step on again from the 410 in stiffness.
I was told by three Lotus people that Evora Sport 410 or US GT was the closest current equivalent to Emira Sports. And that Exige is noticeably stiffer.

So I think Emira Sports is going to be OK if you prefer a stiffer setup, without it being over-harsh for long journeys, for example on those horrible concrete- surfaces motorways.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I also habe never driven any Lotus before. My current ride is a 2018 M4 Competition which I find to be not harsh even with 20s. I added the M adjustable performance springs to lower the weel gap and when driving in comfort mode I still do not too bumpy IMO …Maybe anyone can compare Lotus and BMW M damping in terms of harshness? While I do not track my cars, I don‘t want a „soft“ sportscar either…and would be dissapointed if it wouldn‘t feel sharp…
BMW damping is about the worst I've experienced (on UK roads)
If you think the M4 with lowering springs is good you are going to be one happy man with either Lotus set up! 😀

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My definition of a harsh suspension is the intensity of the shock that travels into my kidneys when going over a bumpy surface. I know it's all relative, but the BMW M3 (F80 generation) sends higher intensity shocks to my kidneys as compared to a 992 generation 911 or even a new Supra with dampers in Sport mode. Both 911 and Supra also have less body roll than the M3, yet they seem to have a small pillow somewhere in between the suspension and my butt.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This review of Sports 410 from the states is worth watching to appreciate potential for Emira ride of Emira Sports chassis , handling, noise etc.

Thank you. I'll check it out.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going with sports w/Goodyears most likely. I typically upgrade my factory suspension anyway with stiffer lowering springs and thicker sway bars. I'm used to a slightly rougher "sportier" ride and I'd hate the get the touring chassis and wish it was firmer with less body roll! I suppose touring would be the obvious choice for those buyers who will be daily driving it.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This review of Sports 410 from the states is worth watching to appreciate potential for Emira ride of Emira Sports chassis , handling, noise etc.

Thanks for sharing, lots of helpful insights.