• Touring

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Sport

Votes: 63 44.1%

• Total voters

Den

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm currently pondering what suspension set up to go for.
Currently leaning towards the Sports set up as the Emira will not be a daily driver, but a little concerned it might by too stiff?
I had a Focus RS and when put in track mode, the suspension stiffened by 30% and was unbearable on the road.
Just want to gauge other peoples choice / opinion.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm definitely in for the Sport setup. Lotus have a top-notch reputation for their suspension, damping and chassis setup - it's one of the things I'm not worried about in this car. But I guess it's down to taste - most of my cars have different suspension modes; none of them spend any time in anything but the stiffest setting. Only my Elise (with sport pack Bilstein dampers) is slightly uncomfortable for me on the worst roads, but in most environments it's great and it's sublime on the track.

Reactions: Den

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Possibly a stupid question (haven't really thought it through or researched myself).
What will be the standard suspension set up? Somewhere in between Sport and Touring? Are we going to be expected to pay for a suspension set up of any sort, as the First Edition comes with the suspension as an included option! What will the base model come with when it arrives?

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm currently pondering what suspension set up to go for.
Currently leaning towards the Sports set up as the Emira will not be a daily driver, but a little concerned it might by too stiff?
I had a Focus RS and when put in track mode, the suspension stiffened by 30% and was unbearable on the road.
Just want to gauge other peoples choice / opinion.
Having the same reservations, we don't intend to daily the Emira however we do intend to do quite a few raod trips (NC500, Alps, Pyrenees) and we also drive a lot around the Yorkshire Dales and Moors so the touring set up might be more favourable!?! We will be quizzing the dealer when we see the car soon and hopefully Lotus will do demonstration cars in both specifications so we can test drive both?

SVMLH

Reaction score
It'll be good if they had info on the drop for the sports set up
That is exactly my concern as I don‘t like to have a huge wheel gap. So I assume the handling to be just fine in touring but I am afraid that it sits too high and that would ruin the look. Same height I would go for touring as I won‘t track the car. One other aspect may be the drivability in parking garages as there is no lift system offered (maybe not necessary?)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Touring for me (live in the Catskill mountains of lower NY state). Roads are good (high taxes) but not always great. Biggest issue for me will be avoiding deer on the roads. I'm certain the touring will provide plenty of handling prowess for that.

Beautiful area! I'm leaving for a New England road trip Sunday through the White Mountains of NH and will be stopping to hike a bit in Kaaterskill on the way back home. We'll be taking our GLI this time around, but hopefully the Emira next year!

G

Guest142

Touring for me as well. I want to drive it in as many locations as I can. But I don't want to have any clearance issues with speed bumps, or driveways. And I prefer to not be worn out from driving it over extended periods of time. Planning on spending lots of time with it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've posted about this elsewhere but happy to share again. I discussed this with Gav Kershaw, head of ride and handling, at Goodwood. Touring is aimed at fast road use including on poor surfaces and will be great for the occasional track day too. Sports is very track focused and while it may suit some people for road use it will be a compromise compared to Touring. Gav's view was Touring will suit most people and if you really wanted to do a step up for more track work you could fit the Cup tyres in place of the Eagles. He felt that fitting the Eagles with the Sports setup would still be a compromise for road use compared to Touring.

Interestingly, the FE options include either tyre with Sports but only Eagle with Touring, which is out of line with Gav's advice.

The Sports suspension has different springs and adjustable dampers, different bushes and ARB and setup.

On the First Edition you can choose either with no cost difference. On the Base Edition you get Touring as standard and the Sports suspension is an option if you select the Drivers Pack. You can do Base + Touring or Base + Drivers + Touring or Base + Drivers + Sports. All of these are no cost options on the FE but will be cost options on the Base. We don't know pricing yet for that.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m hoping to read some press reviews before I have to decide. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up with Touring- I want to be able to drive it on roads without my fillings popping out. Not to mention that my wife will want to drive it too, and she hates overly stiff cars.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I've posted about this elsewhere but happy to share again. I discussed this with Gav Kershaw, head of ride and handling, at Goodwood. Touring is aimed at fast road use including on poor surfaces and will be great for the occasional track day too. Sports is very track focused and while it may suit some people for road use it will be a compromise compared to Touring. Gav's view was Touring will suit most people and if you really wanted to do a step up for more track work you could fit the Cup tyres in place of the Eagles. He felt that fitting the Eagles with the Sports setup would still be a compromise for road use compared to Touring.

Yes you gave me this info and also gave me a good idea to test drive an Evora. This will be my biggest decision with the car and like previously mentioned in this thread, it would be great if I could test drive both setups.

Are you saying that by a simple tire change there will be a noticeable change in chassis feel with this car? I am not a tire expert so please don't assume I know anything! By your explanation I wonder if Sports setup with Eagles may be the way to go for me. With other cars I also drive them in the stiffest suspension setting.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I was dead set on the Sport chassis, but remembered the Emira comes with 20" wheels. Ever drive a car with 20"s? My Mk7 GTI came with 18"s and I ran 17"s in the winter.. the difference is night and day in comfort and handling (with a lighter wheel and tire setup).

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes you gave me this info and also gave me a good idea to test drive an Evora. This will be my biggest decision with the car and like previously mentioned in this thread, it would be great if I could test drive both setups.

Are you saying that by a simple tire change there will be a noticeable change in chassis feel with this car? I am not a tire expert so please don't assume I know anything! By your explanation I wonder if Sports setup with Eagles may be the way to go for me. With other cars I also drive them in the stiffest suspension setting.

Tyres have a significant influence on handling. Sidewall stiffness for example, as well as the rubber compound and tread pattern.

The Lotus ride and handling team evaluated dozens of tyres and still weren’t totally satisfied so worked with Goodyear to develop an Emira-specific version of the Eagle tyre.

If you prefer a stiffer ride and/or drive on smoother roads and/or do a lot of track days then Sports may suit you better.

The advice I had from Lotus was Sport+Eagle on road was a bigger compromise than Touring+Cup on track.

Like you say, the best option is to drive them back to back. A reasonable alternative would be to drive a pre Model Year 2012 Evora versus a 4xx Evora or GT.

G

Guest142

It'll be good if they had info on the drop for the sports set up
100%

I have no information to make this decision on. I'm totally blind. The sports setup looks way better and for that I want to do it...but if it's too low (like I can't access my driveway without scratching it it or go over speed bumps) and too stiff (like uncomfortable to ride for extended time) I'm going to have problems. I just don't have any information to make this choice.

I voted for sport and may likely order touring. Told my salesperson sports. I'm kind of all over the place on this one. Need more information.

OP
Den

Den

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Sports suspension has different springs and adjustable dampers, different bushes and ARB and setup.
Thanks TomE.
That's the best information I've seen other than the Lotus website stating a 'slightly stiffer ride'.
So you could set up the adjustable dampers for road or track use, albeit you won't get the same feel as touring?
I wish they had made it as simple as 1 set up for all and pushing a button on the dash to switch it from Normal to Sports suspension.

G

Guest142

Thanks TomE.
That's the best information I've seen other than the Lotus website stating a 'slightly stiffer ride'.
So you could set up the adjustable dampers for road or track use, albeit you won't get the same feel as touring?
I wish they had made it as simple as 1 set up for all and pushing a button on the dash to switch it from Normal to Sports suspension.
Yes. Correct. 100%

I want the stiffness and rigidity. Also, I love the look of the sports setup. I just don't want ground clearance issues or a suspension setup that is so stiff it hurts my back after a long drive.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Easy decision for me / in Scotland, so Touring with Goodyear Eagles would fit the roads here perfectly. Had F1 Eagles previous on any other vehicle, they are like additional comfy suspension! If customised I’d imagine then being very good!

Last edited:

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does the sports suspension just consist of different dampers, or also include different springs and sway bars (which seems logical)?