Throwing codes

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Which of the BigBoi dryers did you go with? I've been looking at the smaller one but not sure I can justify the £100 or so. Also, passers by are gonna think we've gone mad blow drying the car 😅

It seems ridiculous not to be able to pressure wash a car, I thought that's pretty standard for detailers no? Snow foam, rinse off, hand wash, rinse off, dry?

EFE

Reaction score
I have one of the 0 ppm water filters which means you do not need to dry the car, the pure water does not leave any stains so it makes washing a car much easier.
Which one do you have? Do they need any consumables? Filters or resin?

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Which one do you have? Do they need any consumables? Filters or resin?
I have one from a company called Race Glaze but there are lots around, they require resin refils once the TDS starts to climb, it does depend where you live and which size you have how much pur water you can produce on a resin charge. I normally wash the car with foam and then rinse with tap water and then finally rinse using the filter.

Reactions: EFE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Which of the BigBoi dryers did you go with? I've been looking at the smaller one but not sure I can justify the £100 or so. Also, passers by are gonna think we've gone mad blow drying the car 😅

It seems ridiculous not to be able to pressure wash a car, I thought that's pretty standard for detailers no? Snow foam, rinse off, hand wash, rinse off, dry?
Lotus use a low temperature paint process due to the composite panels. They’ve always recommended previous models be washed with a hose or by hand, not with a pressure washer.

You can use a pressure washer to power a snow foam lance, as that’s not a focused jet. You can also use it to wash and rinse, provided you don’t use a narrow jet or hold it too close to the paintwork.

If you’ve got PPF fitted then your installer should also have told you not to pressure wash too close to the film, particularly the edges.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I agree not using a jet wash does seem silly but I’m just going easy on it for now. Jet washes are well known for affecting handbrake and brake callipers on certain cars so need to careful.

I went for the big boi pro R £350 a bit dear but actually worth the investment, depends on how into cleaning your own car you are, the neighbours think it’s a hoover lol

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have one from a company called Race Glaze but there are lots around, they require resin refils once the TDS starts to climb, it does depend where you live and which size you have how much pur water you can produce on a resin charge. I normally wash the car with foam and then rinse with tap water and then finally rinse using the filter.
Funny as I was just looking into this today.
Interesting

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m fine with having to go easy on the brake area with jet washes, but affecting some sensors that could easily be affected by everyday rain, moisture and highway spray is a clear defect for me. Yes it’s a high class car, but it’s not on THAT level.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I agree not using a jet wash does seem silly but I’m just going easy on it for now. Jet washes are well known for affecting handbrake and brake callipers on certain cars so need to careful.

I went for the big boi pro R £350 a bit dear but actually worth the investment, depends on how into cleaning your own car you are, the neighbours think it’s a hoover lol
It's not the first time neighbours have gone out, come back and double checked I was out cleaning when they left 😅

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I snow foam mine, rinse, gentle hand wash with Gteqnic ceramic shampoo, rinse again and then dry with a blower.
Buy a dog dryer off that well know on line site. It’s the same as a car / bike dryer but half the price.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

Why can't we pressure wash?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Why can't we pressure wash?
You can damage the paint and lift PPF. Metal panels on other cars use a higher temperature process so the paint is more strongly bonded. Lotus use a lower temperature process due to the composite panels.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Surely most modern paint is 2 pack and therefore cures chemically. Temperature will affect curing time, but not the bond?
A local body shop to my work has been struggling with working times and using retardants due to the high ambient temperatures recently (on metal cars).

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
New sensor has been ordered and will be put in in the next few days. Investigation will have to wait till the head mechanic is back. Guess I'm not washing the car till then

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
You can damage the paint and lift PPF. Metal panels on other cars use a higher temperature process so the paint is more strongly bonded. Lotus use a lower temperature process due to the composite panels.
Oh boy, good to know. So regular garden hose?

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sensor has been fitted. Looking at the live data I’m not 100% sure bank 1 (still the first sensor) is operating perfectly but the cars runs for now.
Further diagnosis will have to wait until the chief mechanic is back in the house. Will do seatbelt replacement, wiper motors, 15k service and looking for the water intrusion points then

EFE

Reaction score
Sensor has been fitted. Looking at the live data I’m not 100% sure bank 1 (still the first sensor) is operating perfectly but the cars runs for now.
Further diagnosis will have to wait until the chief mechanic is back in the house. Will do seatbelt replacement, wiper motors, 15k service and looking for the water intrusion points then
Kimmax, how many miles have you done now?
Was it bank 1 or 2 sensor that failed?

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Kimmax, how many miles have you done now?
Was it bank 1 or 2 sensor that failed?
12000 km / about 7500 miles.
I'm on my 4th HO2S now - always the "upper" one, Bank 2

(Bank 1 might be damaged as well, but that's not confirmed yet)

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
this happened to me after a wash. Parked in garage overnight and it went away.
I've just got the same parking brake error (after a hose pipe wash) and the car won't start. Was there a cause and fix identified?

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Unacceptable. This shouldn’t ever be an issue!

OP
Kimmax

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've just got the same parking brake error (after a hose pipe wash) and the car won't start. Was there a cause and fix identified?
Let the car dry / the ecu settle and shutdown. Lock and keep the key away at good distance. Come back 30mins later and it should start.
Alternatively disconnect ground at the battery, but DONT FORGET TO UNLOCK THE CAR before doing so. Otherwise the alarm will trigger and it's a blast to hear while scrambling to reconnect the terminal (not) 😂