Throttle House names Lotus Emira 2023 Car of the Year!

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Their Emira review was my favorite and it was great to see that it won. I ended up with a C8 with similar reasoning to when they said the Cayman GT4 is the better car but the Emira is the better driver's car. I had budgetary plus mostly subjective reasons for choosing the C8 but this is probably how I'd realistically rank the 3:

Better Built: Emira < C8 < Cayman GT4
Better Styling: Cayman GT4 < C8 < Emira
Better Driver's Car: C8 < Cayman GT4 < Emira

Last edited:

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
iv rewatched their Emira review at least 10 times now. it was such good quality and very very early

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You purchased one already? :)
excluding some horribly catastrophic disaster between now and May (when im locked in), im definitely going thru with it so I already purchased it in my mind

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
James and Thomas from Throttle House have become my most entertaining car-enthusiasts channel, they are are so funny and down to earth.

I fully get their view on cars and from an you and me perspective, that's why they are so likable.

Regarding their view on the Emira and what it is I think most of the journalists were wrong, only a view (real car aficionados get it like Jason Cammisa and Tom Derek Scott on the Carmudgeon podcast) really do understand what the car is all about or have other reasons.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
James and Thomas from Throttle House have become my most entertaining car-enthusiasts channel, they are are so funny and down to earth.

I fully get their view on cars and from an you and me perspective, that's why they are so likable.

Regarding their view on the Emira and what it is I think most of the journalists were wrong, only a view (real car aficionados get it like Jason Cammisa and Tom Derek Scott on the Carmudgeon podcast) really do understand what the car is all about or have other reasons.
they are definitely my fav.

when embargos are lifted for new cars and I get multiple videos from multiple youtube channels, TrottleHouse is always the first one I watch

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Great endorsement for a fantastic driving machine. Laughed when James mentioned reading on the forum about the problem that "the car doesn't start because brake pedal needs servicing", which means "it's still very much a Lotus".

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus is proud of it

IMG_1567.png

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder why they didn't make one available for Evo Car of the Year? Maybe Lotus weren't feeling too confident after their mixed reviews

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder why they didn't make one available for Evo Car of the Year? Maybe Lotus weren't feeling too confident after their mixed reviews
The reason given in the eCoty Absentees section was that it was due to "a lack of resource in terms of cars on the press fleet and people to prepare a car for test."

Now, it has been said on here that following the first reviews they've been reworking aspects of the transmission, so I wonder if the lack of press fleet resource was due to the fleet being taken offline for the revisions to be carried out and these simply weren't finished in time to supply a car (eCoty was apparently originally going to be done late Sept, but was delayed 4 weeks).

There certainly doesn't seem to have been much journalism content around the I4 following the initial batch of reviews, so I'm interested to see if Tim Pitt puts a review out after posting pics on Instagram late November of the same I4 Harry drove in his video.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Yea, I think the first EVO review ruined it. There is really no coming back from that no matter how much better the production cars got from that review unit. I really thought it was a bit of a cheap shot at the time. Oh well.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yea, I think the first EVO review ruined it. There is really no coming back from that no matter how much better the production cars got from that review unit. I really thought it was a bit of a cheap shot at the time. Oh well.
It irritates me doubly in retrospect, after watching Jethro just release a whole piece about how breathtakingly wonderful and sublime his absurdly modified 20-year-old 996 Turbo is on track. It literally has none of the factory drivetrain, running gear, or suspension components left whatsoever, yet he talks about it as though the car itself has some inherent quality that he's unlocked by literally replacing everything. It's magical thinking at its worst.

The guy couldn't hit objectivity with a shotgun from 10 paces if he tied it down first. It's beyond absurd.

Last edited: