Throttle House Evora Review

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
That was good! Makes me excited for the Emira even more.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I noticed they were not driving in Sports mode, thus the 6800 redline as opposed to 7000.

The whole immobilizer thing was funny. In reality, if the car is parked, you just walk up to it... press the unlock button on the key… get in… stick the key in the ignition… then press the start button. It is annoying and fun at the same time. It’s worst when you get in another car with modern keyless go and muscle memory kicks in.

Their issue with the AC may have been real, but I never had any problems with it. It does blow very cold air and if I turn the temp knob 1 to 2 notches it’s just perfect. Maybe they turned the knob too much and it started blowing warm air. Who knows!

Agree it’s an aggressive and not a pretty car. In the Lotus showroom next to the Emira dynamic prototype, Evora GT looked serious and more of a sports car with tighter wheel to fender gap, aggressive seat design, traditional speedo, etc.

Lastly, it somewhat bothers me when people make comments that you should only buy this car in a manual when they haven’t even driven the auto. I would have zero issues if they make this recommendations after comparing both. Not saying auto is better, but people just give it a bad reputation by default.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For all the talk of upping quality, interesting that Evora seats look really well made and in some respects better than the Emira ones.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lastly, it somewhat bothers me when people make comments that you should only buy this car in a manual when they haven’t even driven the auto. I would have zero issues if they make this recommendations after comparing both. Not saying auto is better, but people just give it a bad reputation by default.
I don’t think anyone is saying the auto is a bad transmission, it’s that the whole point of choosing a Lotus is for the legendary driver engagement. It’s what the car was designed for, compromised in the name of, and is singularly best at. Choosing an auto is sort of saying you don’t want maximum driver engagement, which feels contrary to the whole spirit of the thing. It’s sort of like choosing a plug-in hybrid and then never charging it. It’ll still drive fine and be a good car, but sort of misses the point. One doesn’t need to drive the auto to understand that about this car.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is saying the auto is a bad transmission, it’s that the whole point of choosing a Lotus is for the legendary driver engagement. It’s what the car was designed for, compromised in the name of, and is singularly best at. Choosing an auto is sort of saying you don’t want maximum driver engagement, which feels contrary to the whole spirit of the thing. It’s sort of like choosing a plug-in hybrid and then never charging it. It’ll still drive fine and be a good car, but sort of misses the point. One doesn’t need to drive the auto to understand that about this car.

If you really believe this then you have no business looking at an Emira. The Exige / Evora is the car for you.

Unless you don't believe this but like the way it sounds. The Emira is by design built with compromises to address a larger market and be more accessible.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If you really believe this then you have no business looking at an Emira. The Exige / Evora is the car for you.

Unless you don't believe this but like the way it sounds. The Emira is by design built with compromises to address a larger market and be more accessible.

Wait for the reviews. Emira has the same powertrain and similar construction as the Evora. Just because it added a little weight in the name of usability does not mean chassis communication and engagement go out the window. It still has the right ingredients. I expect it to be better than any Porsche in the price bracket.

As far as what’s right for me, thanks for the recommendation but I know what I want. I’ve logged thousands of miles behind the wheel of Elise and Exige both. I’ve used them on street and on track. I know exactly what they are. I’ve also driven every variety of Cayman and Boxster, and several varieties of 911 - also on street and on track. I know what they are too. I’ve spent meaningful street time with the 4C, and track time with the A110. I’m very familiar with this category. I know where each car is on the spectrum of compromise.

Emira is exactly what I’ve wanted for years - a car that takes the best bits of the Lotus (chassis communication, engagement) and (some of) the refinement/usability of the Porsches. The 4C and A110 came close to compromise, but neither offers a manual and so neither were a consideration because that, for me, is a key part of engagement. The Evora was somewhere in the middle as well, but was still unrefined and I personally never loved the styling.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Wait for the reviews. Emira has the same powertrain and similar construction as the Evora. Just because it added a little weight in the name of usability does not mean chassis communication and engagement go out the window. It still has the right ingredients. I expect it to be better than any Porsche in the price bracket.

As far as what’s right for me, thanks for the recommendation but I know what I want. I’ve logged thousands of miles behind the wheel of Elise and Exige both. I’ve used them on street and on track. I know exactly what they are. I’ve also driven every variety of Cayman and Boxster, and several varieties of 911 - also on street and on track. I know what they are too. I’ve spent meaningful street time with the 4C, and track time with the A110. I’m very familiar with this category. I know where each car is on the spectrum of compromise.

Emira is exactly what I’ve wanted for years - a car that takes the best bits of the Lotus (chassis communication, engagement) and (some of) the refinement/usability of the Porsches. The 4C and A110 came close to compromise, but neither offers a manual and so neither were a consideration because that, for me, is a key part of engagement. The Evora was somewhere in the middle as well, but was still unrefined and I personally never loved the styling.
I don't disagree with you, it's your point about driver engagement and how choosing a manual misses the point of a Lotus. The same argument could be had for using larger wheel sizes at the front (choosing form over function), adding weight (directly against the primary ethos of Lotus - simplify and add lightness). There aren't many, using your words, compromised in the name of features on the Emira. No one is more Lotus than Lotus and they went to great pains to create an automatic gearbox for their cars, I don't believed they missed the point.

We drive on different roads and have different use-cases for our car. On a track an Emira with a DCT would provide a superior driving experience for me and I'm sure a few others.

OP

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. No one is making anyone buy a manual or an auto. Personally I love DCT cars and manuals but the Evora auto is embarrassingly bad, especially for the price tag. Glad to hear it makes people happy but you're no doubt missing out on a lot of the experience. Again, nothing wrong with that if the person is happy with the decision. One thing that I think everyone agrees on is how abysmal the redline is. That and the gearing really killed the Evora for me. Realistically the Evora GT is a 60k car