TheSmokingTire Emira Review

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Initial thoughts were "how does he not know why there is no frunk?" and "wtf is he on about saying that the suspension options differ by alignment and tyres only?" (is that a US-market-only thing perhaps?), but overall, a nice enough review.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The suspension parts differences are relatively minor. I do understand the point that most of the difference in feel is in the tires and setup angles. A five percent difference in spring rate, I don't know if my butt would be able to tell…

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The suspension parts differences are relatively minor. I do understand the point that most of the difference in feel is in the tires and setup angles. A five percent difference in spring rate, I don't know if my butt would be able to tell…
I guess it just irks me when professional reviewers are not detail-oriented, and get facts wrong when they are trivially verifiable elsewhere. Didn't horrify me enough to discount their views, of course.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I thought it was a decent review. The car looks great without a front plate or holes for the bracket. I think it's telling that Matt considers the car a viable alternative to the Cayman, especially if you want something different. I was surprised that he didn't know the springs and dampers were different between the sport and touring chassis, and I also found it odd that he had trouble getting the trunk to open.

This is still not a North America spec car though, so it's going to be interesting to see what difference there are by the time we get NA builds.

Max

Reaction score
This is a nice car. But it's the worst roll out of a new model I've ever seen after decades in this hobby. And I mean since 1965. Americans won't see their cars for even MORE months to come, Lotus, for some reason, prioritized miniscule markets with low sales density, and despite so much in carry over parts, half baked execution. And they're promoting the car like you could have it tomorrow. Welp.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
disappointing review. Not in that they disliked the Emira, but that they offered nothing different or interesting. A few errors regarding suspension setup as well.... Overall I got the impression they liked the car, but don't really care much for it. I don't know if it's bias towards Porsche, or that they were genuinely less impressed than they let on. I got the same feeling from Doug D's review.

EVO, Catchpoole, Smoking Tire, Car Mag - all of them have said the GTS 4.0 is the superior car.

Throttle House, Metcalf, Shmee, Jay Emm - Take the Emira over GTS 4.0

Harris never gave a definitive answer.

I don't think I have ever seen a car so divided against another one.

Toby L

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
My last car was a GTS 4.0, and after 2 test drives I think the Emira is the more exciting car. Although I do think the engine sounds better on the cayman.

Last edited:

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
TheSmokingTire's Emira review just dropped:

What are your thoughts?
Another captivating-enough video. While it's not going to dislodge Porsche fans, it was considered fun to drive and what you would or should expect from Lotus.
In short, not for lemmings .

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
disappointing review. Not in that they disliked the Emira, but that they offered nothing different or interesting. A few errors regarding suspension setup as well.... Overall I got the impression they liked the car, but don't really care much for it. I don't know if it's bias towards Porsche, or that they were genuinely less impressed than they let on. I got the same feeling from Doug D's review.

EVO, Catchpoole, Smoking Tire, Car Mag - all of them have said the GTS 4.0 is the superior car.

Throttle House, Metcalf, Shmee, Jay Emm - Take the Emira over GTS 4.0

Harris never gave a definitive answer.

I don't think I have ever seen a car so divided against another one.
I found it quite revealing as their roads are my roads (California). I am also calibrated to their reviews and tend to align with Zack's impressions more than Matt. Zack clearly loved the car, it's suspension geometry and ride, it's steering, interior and exterior styling as well as the noise.

The most revealing detail was that it drives more rear engined than mid engined vs the Cayman GTS, though not actually rear engined like a 911. (My inference)

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I found it quite revealing as their roads are my roads (California). I am also calibrated to their reviews and tend to align with Zack's impressions more than Matt. Zack clearly loved the car, it's suspension geometry and ride, it's steering, interior and exterior styling as well as the noise.

The most revealing detail was that it drives more rear engined than mid engined vs the Cayman GTS, though not actually rear engined like a 911. (My inference)
Don't get me wrong, I found the Emira better than a GTS IMO as well. This specific review seemed a little blah I suppose. When you watch his Evora reviews they seem to like it better in that application. Same as Doug.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think the reactions are because it looks better than it goes. It looks like a million bucks, so there's an unconscious expectation it will drive like that, but it doesn't. It's good, very good, but not a million bucks good. But then, we aren't paying a million for it, are we. For those that want more, with some modest weight reduction (wheels, battery, possibly seats) and a modest tune to 430, it will move from very good to really good, and for the street that's plenty respectable.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
They didn’t discuss price or availability in the USA. Wonder if lotus asked them not to.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Huh...I'm kind of surprised reading some of these comments on Smoking Tire's review. I felt it was a very encouraging review. They loved the Evora and said the car drove like an Evora with a much better interior and less niggles (throttle blip for instance). Overall I felt they both really liked the car and Matt basically said if he didn't already have shortcake, he'd probably own one. He didn't have a problem with the power. Said the ride comfort was great. Both said fun to drive.
I enjoyed the review and have to say...the car just looks so dang good on the road. Sounded pretty good too. 3rd cat delete would do wonders!

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Sometimes these 2 get super excited while driving. They were chill that day for whatever reason. I’m starting to feel the shine wearing off and lotus only has themselves to blame. I still really want one but $$$

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Sometimes these 2 get super excited while driving. They were chill that day for whatever reason. I’m starting to feel the shine wearing off and lotus only has themselves to blame. I still really want one but $$$
Well, I kinda took the reason for that "chill" attitude being that they thought the car was essentially an Evora with a better interior and exterior. Not really ground breaking, but a huge step forward in design and moderninity.

Elisesquared

Reaction score
Well, I kinda took the reason for that "chill" attitude being that they thought the car was essentially an Evora with a better interior and exterior. Not really ground breaking, but a huge step forward in design and moderninity.
All I want in the Emira is a better looking Evora. So, I'm thrilled with the ST review.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Huh...I'm kind of surprised reading some of these comments on Smoking Tire's review. I felt it was a very encouraging review. They loved the Evora and said the car drove like an Evora with a much better interior and less niggles (throttle blip for instance). Overall I felt they both really liked the car and Matt basically said if he didn't already have shortcake, he'd probably own one. He didn't have a problem with the power. Said the ride comfort was great. Both said fun to drive.
I enjoyed the review and have to say...the car just looks so dang good on the road. Sounded pretty good too. 3rd cat delete would do wonders!
Idk what more one could want if in search for a reaffirming review. There were almost zero cons and they both loved it.

The critics in this thread seem displeased the Emira isn’t a cayman gts destroyer and are displeased with every reviewer who don’t see it as such. I think this is an unhealthy viewpoint — one of the things that resonated with me on this review is that the cayman gts is one of the very few competitors available in the US for a mid engine manual sports car. We should be celebrating some variety in the market instead.