TheSmokingTire Emira Review

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone could take that as anything but an really positive review.

Stop stressing folks, the guys that have the customer cars, we are loving them. I think mines brilliant fun and I'm a proper porsche fanboy of 15 off them and coming off a gt4

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Did you notice that Matt called the Cayman flawless, ignoring the problem with the gearing, while at the same time fixing the gearing in his own Boxster that he just bought?

LOL, this didn’t escape me, he probably forgot since his modified 718 spyder is so damn good. I’m surprised he said the Emira had taller gearing too, it seems reasonable on paper.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Idk what more one could want if in search for a reaffirming review. There were almost zero cons and they both loved it.

The critics in this thread seem displeased the Emira isn’t a cayman gts destroyer and are displeased with every reviewer who don’t see it as such. I think this is an unhealthy viewpoint — one of the things that resonated with me on this review is that the cayman gts is one of the very few competitors available in the US for a mid engine manual sports car. We should be celebrating some variety in the market instead.
Shouldn't it be a Cayman GTS destroyer? The 718 Platform is from 2017. This Emira is being launched in 2022/23. In almost every metric it should destroy the Cayman.

It's looks are way way better
Lotus handling should be superior (non- GT4) and steering feel
Power to weight ration is essentially the same (the 4.0 engine is motor is more suited to the track and will be quicker, but these aren't track reviews - On the road, I preferred the Emira)
Interior is more modern with high quality materials, looks more exotic than Porsche (perhaps Porsche nudge higher here in quality touch points, but not in looks)
Priced above or around the same as a well specced GTS (which the GTS already comes well specced)
More exotic and rarer (as smoking tire pointed out, looks much more expensive than a Cayman with classic design that will age gracefully)

I have driven both and found the Emira to be far more special. So yes, I am confused on how they still say they would choose the Cayman anyways. I don't buy the lack of cargo area argument, especially with the space in behind the seats being very useful and Harry proved how much stuff can be put into the Emira.

To me it is a little frustrating. I have owned and driven many Porsches and rave about them often, but if someone asked me GTS vs Emira - I have easily said Emira (unless it's your only car, than Porsche due to servicing - ONLY reason). However, Auto reviewers are reviewing the car itself, not dealer availability. If that was the case nobody would buy a Ferrari as their dealer network is no better, yet they are considered the best and Auto reviewers generally rave about them. Car vs Car not brand vs brand. I guess bias will always play a role in the review with the brand and IMO this is the case with smoking tire review.

The throttle house guys nailed my opinion of the Emira and also highlighted Lotus has a brand's short comings, which are many. Yes, this is enough to choose Porsche for lot's of people and I completely understand but the Emira is still the better car, just not the better brand.

The smoking tire didn't say that, they told their viewers that the Cayman GTS is the gold standard and is better than the Emira. Buy one because everyone already owns the better Porsche.

I guess everyone has their opinions and they are not the only reviewers that said the same thing. Not trying to sound grumpy, but I agree with @Eagle7 on this. It's looks are not backed up by the powertrain and this is weighing in somewhere. I also agree that dynamically it is argualbly worse than an Evora GT, which also makes them feel they didn't try hard enough on the Emira. Both are very true, but doesn't take away that it is still better than a Cayman GTS.

Last edited:

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sometimes these 2 get super excited while driving. They were chill that day for whatever reason. I’m starting to feel the shine wearing off and lotus only has themselves to blame. I still really want one but $$$
Emira is a flow car vs say an M2C/CS or 911 which are more beat the tarmac into submission kind of cars (speaking from ownership R&T experience). I think that's why they were chill but still full of superlatives which is a good sign

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone could take that as anything but an really positive review.

Stop stressing folks, the guys that have the customer cars, we are loving them. I think mines brilliant fun and I'm a proper porsche fanboy of 15 off them and coming off a gt4
So does FE Emira bridge the gap between GTS and GT4 for you?

vantage

Reaction score
I found it quite revealing as their roads are my roads (California). I am also calibrated to their reviews and tend to align with Zack's impressions more than Matt. Zack clearly loved the car, it's suspension geometry and ride, it's steering, interior and exterior styling as well as the noise.

The most revealing detail was that it drives more rear engined than mid engined vs the Cayman GTS, though not actually rear engined like a 911. (My inference)

My sense is that all Lotus have been like this for a while, going back to the Elise platform. It's a weight distribution that Lotus actually targets (see Evija). So much so that when I bought my GT4, I was surprised at how little you need to manage the weight on the front axle in order to get it to turn in compared to my track-prepped Elise. I recently spent some time in a 991.2 GT3 and it reminded me of my Elise in terms of managing the front axle, except the GT3 is pretty well balanced out of the box.

disappointing review. Not in that they disliked the Emira, but that they offered nothing different or interesting. A few errors regarding suspension setup as well.... Overall I got the impression they liked the car, but don't really care much for it. I don't know if it's bias towards Porsche, or that they were genuinely less impressed than they let on. I got the same feeling from Doug D's review.

EVO, Catchpoole, Smoking Tire, Car Mag - all of them have said the GTS 4.0 is the superior car.

Throttle House, Metcalf, Shmee, Jay Emm - Take the Emira over GTS 4.0

Harris never gave a definitive answer.

I don't think I have ever seen a car so divided against another one.

I think Harris said that if your drive to work was mostly windy roads then the Emira is more interesting because it has the more interesting chassis, but the 4.0 engine is much better.

I think it's hard to definitively draw your line in the sand because it depends what you want from the car.

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
disappointing review. Not in that they disliked the Emira, but that they offered nothing different or interesting. A few errors regarding suspension setup as well.... Overall I got the impression they liked the car, but don't really care much for it. I don't know if it's bias towards Porsche, or that they were genuinely less impressed than they let on. I got the same feeling from Doug D's review.

EVO, Catchpoole, Smoking Tire, Car Mag - all of them have said the GTS 4.0 is the superior car.

Throttle House, Metcalf, Shmee, Jay Emm - Take the Emira over GTS 4.0

Harris never gave a definitive answer.

I don't think I have ever seen a car so divided against another one.
Matt has always been a Porsche fan

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My sense is that all Lotus have been like this for a while, going back to the Elise platform. It's a weight distribution that Lotus actually targets (see Evija). So much so that when I bought my GT4, I was surprised at how little you need to manage the weight on the front axle in order to get it to turn in compared to my track-prepped Elise. I recently spent some time in a 991.2 GT3 and it reminded me of my Elise in terms of managing the front axle, except the GT3 is pretty well balanced out of the box.

I think Harris said that if your drive to work was mostly windy roads then the Emira is more interesting because it has the more interesting chassis, but the 4.0 engine is much better.

I think it's hard to definitively draw your line in the sand because it depends what you want from the car.
I hear ya…. And I agree that between the two, there is an argument to be had when deciding to make a purchase. With both sides having very good points. I suppose Chris Harris have the best definitive answer in not actually answering.

It’s a bit Ronaldo v Messi… the good looking one that sometimes is a pain to deal with or the other more boring option, but has won more awards and trophies and deep down we know what he is capable of. No right or wrong answer between Emira v GTS, just preferences.

I would still take Emira over GTS, no doubt about it for me.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Also noticed they responded to a question about Emira future collectibility (1:35:30) and being one of the last manual's. Looks like the feeling is they will be treated the same as any Elise/Evora as far as depreciation and collectibility is concerned. Which is fine, would have thought the last of an era would be given higher consideration. They did carefully side step the question has not to give "financial advice" but reading between the lines, they are not fully convinced that the "new" Lotus is new at all....

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Also noticed they responded to a question about Emira future collectibility (1:35:30) and being one of the last manual's. Looks like the feeling is they will be treated the same as any Elise/Evora as far as depreciation and collectibility is concerned. Which is fine, would have thought the last of an era would be given higher consideration. They did carefully side step the question has not to give "financial advice" but reading between the lines, they are not fully convinced that the "new" Lotus is new at all....
I believe they nailed it when they said the exterior looks and interior were revolutionary and the riding dynamics comes close to the Evora. That's a good formula.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I believe they nailed it when they said the exterior looks and interior were revolutionary and the riding dynamics comes close to the Evora. That's a good formula.

I am purchasing an Emira because I always loved they way they drive but couldn’t live with the Shanty interior.
Loved how the Evora drives. Mesmerized by the Emira’s looks and Ergonomically.
Will keep the my convertible Porsche GtS and will park the Emira FE next to it.
Fortunately I don’t have to decide which keys do us. It would be an impossible choice. If I had to pick one. I will be able to speak about which is better after
I have owned them both for a while..
“ Will share thoughts and a year “

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
All I want in the Emira is a better looking Evora. So, I'm thrilled with the ST review.
Yup. I was shopping for an Evora GT (1 or 2yr old) when I came across the Emira. At the time the new car price was the same as a 2020 GT. I’d like to see how it tunes up to 430 but the upgrades to the interior and slightly wider stance, I’m happy with it.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Good comparison - All time best Emira comment at the end by Zach starting at 23:45.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Good comparison - All time best Emira comment at the end by Zach starting at 23:45.

Would have been great to include the Emira. They literally touch on everything that's debated in this forum. They really love the style of the Cayman. Called it "classic." It's too classic IMO.

I would take the Cayman over the Vette if I had to choose one but would take a Supra over both of them so that should tell you how I feel about them.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Would have been great to include the Emira. They literally touch on everything that's debated in this forum. They really love the style of the Cayman. Called it "classic." It's too classic IMO.

I would take the Cayman over the Vette if I had to choose one but would take a Supra over both of them so that should tell you how I feel about them.
Yes, would have been nice to see a three way comparison. I think it may have been placed second from Matt.

Zach is torn as you can see, he can’t give a definitive answer. Much like Harris. If Lotus’ brand reputation was better I think it would be a much easier win. It is a pretty big feat for Lotus to come this close to the mighty Cayman GTS 4.0.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yes, would have been nice to see a three way comparison. I think it may have been placed second from Matt.

Zach is torn as you can see, he can’t give a definitive answer. Much like Harris. If Lotus’ brand reputation was better I think it would be a much easier win. It is a pretty big feat for Lotus to come this close to the mighty Cayman GTS 4.0.

One day I will get to drive the mighty Cayman so I can see what all the fuss is about. The closest thing I have driven to the Emira (Not including an Evora) is an S2000.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
One day I will get to drive the mighty Cayman so I can see what all the fuss is about. The closest thing I have driven to the Emira (Not including an Evora) is an S2000.
Emira is the better drive and better looking and more special feeling. Cayman is the better brand and reliable, with better very slightly performance more so in PDK form. GT4/Spyder different story.

It would be a very hard choice between the two.