The greatest bargain or a rip off?

Lotus Emira - Greatest Sports Car Bargain?

Votes: 10 76.9%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

LotusRising

Reaction score
Is the Lotus Emira:

1.) The greatest sports car bargain based on its exceptionally attractive packaging, incredible handling and steering, and rarity on par with Ferraris, Maserati‘s, and Lamborghinis costing 3 to 4 times the price?

2.) A complete rip off because Toyota Supras, Nissan Z‘s, and C8 Corvettes offer the same or better performance, modern V6/8 engines, manual transmissions for possibly 60% of the price?

3.) Somehow both at the exact same time?

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Is the Lotus Emira:

1.) The greatest sports car bargain based on its exceptionally attractive packaging, incredible handling and steering, and rarity on par with Ferraris, Maserati‘s, and Lamborghinis costing 3 to 4 times the price?

2.) A complete rip off because Toyota Supras, Nissan Z‘s, and C8 Corvettes offer the same or better performance, modern V6/8 engines, manual transmissions for possibly 60% of the price?

3.) Somehow both at the exact same time?

C8 and Supra left me cold. C8 not engaging enough, Supra felt like I was sitting in a bunker. Styling on both is awkward at best. Z has potential on paper but Nissan has not given me much confidence in recent times. Also someone in the aftermarket has to fix that unfinished-looking front clip.

So I'd still vote 1.

I've said it before, I don't think Emira is about performance. It's about emotion and engagement, same as the Lotus before. Elise and Evora did not light the world on fire with specs either, yet they are among the most emotional, engaging cars one can acquire and certainly punch above their price category by those measures.

Lowtush

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What Lotus has going for it, in my opinion, is the exclusivity of "being a Lotus" (I. E. a baby exotic) and decades of knowledge when it comes to building engaging driver's cars.

C8s and Z4, err, Supras are nice and all. But it's still a Chevy and a Toyota. Here in the states anyway, they're a dime a dozen.

Not to mention you can't get into a C8 1LT for much less than $100k with how the car market is right now.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
C8 is alright. Supra is also okay but not in the same league as a Lotus. The Z is plain bad sushi. Ew.

The Lotus is not a bargain. It's decent money for a relatively rare and well designed car. You can't say that about the C8, Supra, and Z.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
C8 is alright. Supra is also okay but not in the same league as a Lotus. The Z is plain bad sushi. Ew.

The Lotus is not a bargain. It's decent money for a relatively rare and well designed car. You can't say that about the C8, Supra, and Z.
Have you driven the C8? I really dug it

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Have you driven the C8? I really dug it
I have not. No one would let me. Lol. In any case, I am sure it is well designed and capable of performance far greater than my capabilities. It's just not rare. It would be okay for me to have one, but just okay. I drive a family van a lot of the time so image is not the most important thing to me all the time. But for the role the Lotus is going to fill, image is pretty important.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’m going to daily drive whichever of these 2 I decide to buy. 200k C8s running around making mine invisible is a big positive for me.
But DAMN the lotus is so sexy

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I personally dont agree with either of the statements.
Its not as rare as any ferrari is it? as Lotus will be making about 20-30,000 of them, thats not something Ferrari generally do although I have not researched how many californias were sold in total?
I dont think anything about the car is "incredible" but yes maybe a reviewer has used the word, although I am sure others have spoken about the same element and toned it down a lot. The handling is no better than its rivals, or than its real rival, although the steering is a bit better yes. However, for better steering, we have the far worse gear change and the lever itself is not that nice feeling or looking to me now, and I think they should have moved that on to a new design worthy of the exterior.. Then you could talk about luggage space, engine, interior quality.... none of this is incredible, trust me, Ive sat in it for 2 hours (as I keep saying just to make me feel special, in case no one else has told me lately and they haven't ).
Then to compare a Nissan Z with it at the same time, to me is again apples and oranges. You cant compare this lotus with any ferrari or mclaren or lambo, thats insane, and you cant compare a nissan with this. Well of course you can, but its futile. I personally never want to own a mazda, even if the mx5 were the best handling car out there, I wont own one and its the same with a Nissan, I'm not a nissan driver and happy to say it.
So no, I appreciate the subject matter, but I disagree with both statements and we are getting more bored each day on here and not just bored, but a bit depressed. Sorry its late and its bed time....

OP
L

LotusRising

Reaction score
I personally dont agree with either of the statements.
Its not as rare as any ferrari is it? as Lotus will be making about 20-30,000 of them, thats not something Ferrari generally do although I have not researched how many californias were sold in total?
I dont think anything about the car is "incredible" but yes maybe a reviewer has used the word, although I am sure others have spoken about the same element and toned it down a lot. The handling is no better than its rivals, or than its real rival, although the steering is a bit better yes. However, for better steering, we have the far worse gear change and the lever itself is not that nice feeling or looking to me now, and I think they should have moved that on to a new design worthy of the exterior.. Then you could talk about luggage space, engine, interior quality.... none of this is incredible, trust me, Ive sat in it for 2 hours (as I keep saying just to make me feel special, in case no one else has told me lately and they haven't ).
Then to compare a Nissan Z with it at the same time, to me is again apples and oranges. You cant compare this lotus with any ferrari or mclaren or lambo, thats insane, and you cant compare a nissan with this. Well of course you can, but its futile. I personally never want to own a mazda, even if the mx5 were the best handling car out there, I wont own one and its the same with a Nissan, I'm not a nissan driver and happy to say it.
So no, I appreciate the subject matter, but I disagree with both statements and we are getting more bored each day on here and not just bored, but a bit depressed. Sorry its late and its bed time....
The Nissan Z is a 400 hp, V6, manual transmission 2 seat sports car with a limited slip differential

The Lotus Emira is a 400 hp, V6, manual transmission 2 seat sports car with a limited slip differential.

This is apples and oranges?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
It will be pretty rare for the first few years in the US. We are talking, what, 2600 cars total for the first two years, maybe 5000 total by year 3? I understand a Ferrari will still be more rare, and that's why I said "relatively". Relative to the C8, Supra, Z, AMGs, M cars, or just about any of the other sports cars in this price range.

magmared

Reaction score
I’d say option 3- it’s something in the middle.

It’s a fantastic looking car, from a brand with real pedigree- Lotus knows how to make a fantastic driving car and have always done so.
For sure, it won’t be as rare as a Ferrari in many parts of the world, but where I’m staying, luxury and supercars are everywhere. I’ve only seen a handful of Lotus cars around and the only reason I’d heard of the brand was because I used to read the regional automotive magazine here.

I think Emira is the car that will finally catapult Lotus into the big leagues, away from being known in only the enthusiast community and into the public eye- and I’m excited for that journey.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’d say option 3- it’s something in the middle.

It’s a fantastic looking car, from a brand with real pedigree- Lotus knows how to make a fantastic driving car and have always done so.
For sure, it won’t be as rare as a Ferrari in many parts of the world, but where I’m staying, luxury and supercars are everywhere. I’ve only seen a handful of Lotus cars around and the only reason I’d heard of the brand was because I used to read the regional automotive magazine here.

I think Emira is the car that will finally catapult Lotus into the big leagues, away from being known in only the enthusiast community and into the public eye- and I’m excited for that journey.
Hahaha. Big Leagues.

Lotus being on your radar has more to do with your echo chamber than anything else.

Chunky thought he was doing that with the Esprit. I mean, you can’t get much bigger than being the Bond car, twice.

Last edited:

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira is better than the vehicles mentioned under $100k.

Supra is really awesome. Just somehow lacks suspension and handling. beast of a motor.

Emira v6 is a sweet deal

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Judging purely on current market rates for nearly new Evoras and Exiges of similar performance metrics, and considering the massive improvements in style, build quality (expected), interior comfort, ingress/egress, not to mention 10% inflation since price announcement, and I could go on...I rate the Emira a bargain.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The Nissan Z is a 400 hp, V6, manual transmission 2 seat sports car with a limited slip differential

The Lotus Emira is a 400 hp, V6, manual transmission 2 seat sports car with a limited slip differential.

This is apples and oranges?
Point taken and I know what you are saying.... although its 40,000$.... but yes to me, its Nissan vs Lotus, its a weird looking Japanese attempt at a cheap supercar, vs Lotus's.
To me there is no comparison. I think 90% of people in the market for the Emira will never get the Z... same as most in the market for a 718 will not get a Miata....

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Judging purely on current market rates for nearly new Evoras and Exiges of similar performance metrics, and considering the massive improvements in style, build quality (expected), interior comfort, ingress/egress, not to mention 10% inflation since price announcement, and I could go on...I rate the Emira a bargain.
I AGREE in that sense, if you would think of getting an Evora at todays prices, then it is a bargain yes..... but I still insist the base car is the real bargain, if it were to have the price they said, which it wont.
I guess what we could say is that there really isnt any competition out there..... in terms of what most want on this forum.